Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Pcamps posted this elsewhere...

So my question is - what (not who) is a fundamentalist? And why is it bad?

Virtually nobody claims to be a fundamentalist - yet the term is thrown out there as though there is a separate denomination of these people.

I will let you respond and will chime in later. Thanks.
In the classical sense a fundamentalist is simply a Christian who believes the essential truths which are revealed in the Bible and who will not compromise those beliefs. He stands fast in the truth of God's Word. He is conservative in his theology rather than liberal. He understands that the Bible is to be understood literally while recognizing that there are also figures of speech and symbolic language in the Bible. He recognizes that the Bible is the Word of God. A fundamentalist believes in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ, and that He is God. He believes that Jesus died in our place, as our substitute, that He bore our sins in His body, and that He rose again bodily. He believes the predictive prophecies and the miracles of which the Bible speaks.

The Fundamentalist movement which began in the 19th century was a reaction the rise of liberal theology in which the truths of the Bible began to be questioned and rejected.

Today however, the term Fundamentalism has been distorted and has come to be associated with Christian activism such as the bombing of abortion clinics. The world views the Fundamentalist believer as ignorant and unlearned, and uses the term 'Fundamentalist' in a derogatory manner.

But again, in the classic sense, a Fundamentalist is simply a conservative believer who holds to the basic tenets of the Christian faith. Which is as it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
So your saying you think you really were a Christian before you rejected Jesus Christ and became a UR? Is that what your saying?
No that is not what I said. I am not a universalist, never stated ever that I was,I disagree with much of what they believe, but have no issue with them.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,468 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: delete posted this elsewhere...

So my question is - what (not who) is a fundamentalist? And why is it bad?

Virtually nobody claims to be a fundamentalist - yet the term is thrown out there as though there is a separate denomination of these people.

I will let you respond and will chime in later. Thanks.
As definded in a dickionary, believing in the fundamental concept taught by Christ. Churches vary in their fundamental ideas of Christ's teaching. That's why we have have so many denominations.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:53 PM

889 posts, read 825,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
"But again, in the classic sense, a Fundamentalist is simply a conservative believer who holds to the basic tenets of the Christian faith"
Well, that's a completely ambiguous statement. Many fundamentalist don't even agree on salvation or justification. So what would those basic tenets be?

Fundamentalists just believe strongly and passionately in what they believe, true or not. Orthodox or not.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Well, that's a completely ambiguous statement. Many fundamentalist don't even agree on salvation or justification. So what would those basic tenets be?

Fundamentalists just believe strongly and passionately in what they believe, true or not. Orthodox or not.
I stated what the basic tenets are prior to that closing statement. And I defined what a Fundamentalist is.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:25 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
When I was one,i went around with my eyes closed, I was hard of hearing, yet believed I was what one poster describes a 100% bible believer. I dismissed everyone who did not believe how I believed to hell. Clung to the bible not God. Professed to know God even though I did not know myself and condemned everyone to hell I thought was a sinner if they did not believe in Jesus.

Still trying to wake up, I will be back with more of the child of hell I was. Until I found Christ within me.
Did you call your self a fundamentalist when you held those beliefs?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Did you call your self a fundamentalist when you held those beliefs?
Although i was one,I didn't know at that time that I was one. I was blind to the hold the spirit of fundamentalism had on me.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:20 PM

367 posts, read 370,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post

It's not ambiguous at all to a Christian who accepts God and His word as is. Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 04-14-2013 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: Rude comments are deleted.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
Oh, I am sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you always agreed with the UR's who post here. So when you rejected the basic truths of Christ what did you become?
No I actually accepted the basic truths of Christ which are based on His character( the way,the truth and the life), seeking first the kingdom of God((within) and His righteousness, so that I would not just be a hearer of His word but a doer too. Quite a simple teaching to see and hear when you have had the good fortune of having woken up on the inside. I do agree with the universalists that Jesus Christ IS the Savior of all men, I also agree with them on other areas too. I also believe some universalists are fundamentalists too. I have had it(fundamentalism)lovingly chastised out of me.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:43 PM

889 posts, read 825,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I stated what the basic tenets are prior to that closing statement. And I defined what a Fundamentalist is.
There is only one tenet that all Christian Fundamentalist agree on and that is the belief in Christ. That's where it ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity