Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:15 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
There is only one tenet that all Christian Fundamentalist agree on and that is the belief in Christ. That's where it ends.
As I said, I have provided the basic tenets of the Christian faith in post #11. When thinking 'Fundamentalist' think 'Conservative'. To the extent that one denies the virgin birth of Jesus, the deity of Christ, the substitutionary death, burial and bodily resurrection of Christ, the authority and infallibility of the Bible, the reality of predictive prophecy, the literal understanding of the Bible while recognizing the presence of figurative language, one moves away from conservative theology and towards liberal theology which places human reason over divine revelation. The Fundamentalist holds to the truthfulness of the Word of God.

Now if you disagree with that then that is your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 05:20 PM

367 posts, read 370,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
As I said, I have provided the basic tenets of the Christian faith in post #11. When thinking 'Fundamentalist' think 'Conservative'. To the extent that one denies the virgin birth of Jesus, the deity of Christ, the substitutionary death, burial and bodily resurrection of Christ, the authority and infallibility of the Bible, the reality of predictive prophecy, the literal understanding of the Bible while recognizing the presence of figurative language, one moves away from conservative theology and towards liberal theology which places human reason over divine revelation. The Fundamentalist holds to the truthfulness of the Word of God.

I really do not think you can follow anyone and reject the basic teachings they give you. It does not make sense to claim otherwise. But then again God's Word does tell us we would see such in the last day's. People calling evil good and good evil. So I suppose these guy's are just a fulfillment of prophecy.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:52 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Just for you Ham it up

“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matt 16

You need to stop trying to be clever, it is not working. You said on post 18 that I rejected the basic truths of Christ, why would you say such a thing, when I never have nor would make such a statement ?.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:19 PM

522 posts, read 622,641 times
Fairly good explanations have been given. Also see the following.

The Fundamentals of the Christian Faith

In popular terminology "Fundamentalist" tends to mean a Christian who takes a fairly literalistic and narrow understanding of the Bible, one that encourages intolerance of others. So few embrace the term. But it can just mean something like an anti-modernist (as in a rejection of the modernist philosophy that truth changes over time or is relative or what have you) Protestantism that believes the Bible is inerrant. Some "fundamentalists", in something like that meaning, are basically apolitical and tolerant.

A few groups do embrace the term "Fundamental" if not "Fundamentalist" as such. See the following.

The Fellowship of Fundamental Bible Churches | Together we can do more
Fundamental Baptist Fellowship International

IFCA International - - A Great Commission Partner » IFCA International

In the Catholic world there was also a staunch anti-Modernist camp that disliked even some of Pope Pius XII's actions as too liberal. For example Leonard Feeney and Feeneyism. There's also those who reject Vatican II as "modernist", such as the Society of St. Pius X. This might be the closest we get to "Fundamentalist" although the term is usually limited to Protestantism.

Outside the Church there is no Salvation | Catholicism.org
Society of St. Pius X USA District (www.sspx.org)

In Orthodoxy I guess the Greek Old Calendarists are sometimes compared to Fundamentalists.

Welcome_.html

Lastly the Mormons have "Fundamentalists" who I think even call themselves such. They reject the LDS shifts/revelations on polygamy and race.

https://flds.org/
Banking on Heaven : Polygamy in the heartland of the American West : Over the Moon Productions

Last edited by TAJR; 04-14-2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
moves away from conservative theology and towards liberal theology which places human reason over divine revelation. The Fundamentalist holds to the truthfulness of the Word of God.

Actually, liberal theology places the guidance of the Spirit over the bible (strange that you don't seem to believe the bible when it says that the comforter would guide into all truth, not into understanding the bible).

The liberal holds to the truthfulness of the Word of God, but they also know that the Word is not the bible. (See John chapter 1)

Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Moderator cut: delete posted this elsewhere...

So my question is - what (not who) is a fundamentalist? And why is it bad?

Virtually nobody claims to be a fundamentalist - yet the term is thrown out there as though there is a separate denomination of these people.

I will let you respond and will chime in later. Thanks.
Fundamentalists hold to a belief that Jesus Christ saves us from eternal hell. Jesus Christ said nothing of the sort, and no one in the bible quoted him saying anything of the sort.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Actually, liberal theology places the guidance of the Spirit over the bible (strange that you don't seem to believe the bible when it says that the comforter would guide into all truth, not into understanding the bible).

The liberal holds to the truthfulness of the Word of God, but they also know that the Word is not the bible. (See John chapter 1)
I didn't know that. I am not a liberal as such, but I am in agreement with what you are saying here.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:06 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
I realize that a fundamentalist is perceived to believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible, but the truth is a fundamentalist is actually a person who takes a literal view of parts of the Bible and completely ignores other parts of the Bible like John 6 and Matthew 16. So it's more of a cafeteria version of literalism where different folks pick and choose what portions of the Bible they want to take literally.
Wow that would make me a fundamentalist. There are parts in Paulist doctrine that I have no use for..Things attributed to the mind and spirit of Christ...I have a deep interest in. I guess I don't like to bother with the kitchen help and go directly to the boss.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post

No, the liberal does not hold to the truthfulness of the Word of God. The term 'Word of God' is more often applied in the Bible to the gospel message then it is to Jesus. Jesus Himself referred to the Mosaic Law as the Word of God. And since the Bible is God-breathed it is indeed the Word of God.

The Holy Spirit never contradicts the Bible. It was under the ministry of the Holy Spirit that the Bible, both Old and New Testament was written. And I am not saying that all the Bible was dictated although parts of it were. People who claim that the Holy Spirit revealed something to them that contradicts what the Bible teaches are quite simply wrong. The Bible by the way is also called the word of truth (2 Tim. 2:15). Furthermore, when the teachings of the Bible are transferred to the soul of the believer from the pages of the Bible the believer must be under the filliing of the Holy Spirit, and must believe what he has learned in order for gnosis to be converted into epignosis.

Liberal theology generally rejects those things which I have already referred to in my previous posts. Liberal theology generally rejects the possibility of predictive prophecy for instance. That is a major reason why liberals late date the Book of Daniel. They can't believe that the events described and historically fulfilled were foretold. Liberals generally reject the virgin birth of Christ, etc...

Last edited by Michael Way; 04-14-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,672 times
Quote:
So my question is - what (not who) is a fundamentalist?
Some of my wacko Bible-thumping family members.

Quote:
And why is it bad?
Because they take things way too far. A majority of one side of my family are Independent Baptists. They don't believe in drinking or smoking. They believe that women shouldn't wear pants and guys aren't aloud to wear shorts, only pants. I had the unfortunate experience of going to one of their church summer camps when I was a kid and the girls and boys had to swim separately. They don't believe in participating in activities such as Halloween or haunted attractions because it's the "Devil's work" or something goofy like that. I could go on and on, but I think you all get the drift. It's just way too far out for my tastes. I mean not participating in Halloween because it involves Devilish type of stuff?? Come on. Lighten up.

Quote:
Virtually nobody claims to be a fundamentalist - yet the term is thrown out there as though there is a separate denomination of these people.
Because there is. Independent Baptists think all other branches of Baptists are wrong. And it's not just Baptists. Remember that Mormon guy who was arrested a few years back? Warren Jeffs? He was the leader of a fundamentalist branch of Mormonism who disagreed with the belief system of mainstream Mormonism. The same goes for Islam, Catholicism, etc. I'd say almost all religions have splinter groups of fundamentalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity