Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:57 PM

593 posts, read 1,795,740 times

Advertisements

I've taken several spritual gifts tests and it seems my gift is MERCY..I'm curious as to what some of yours are...Below are the gifts as defined in scripture..

Moderator cut: modified in order to adhere to copyright

19. Mercy (eleos) An ability to touch inwardly with compassion. To be exercised with "cheerfulness". 20. Hospitality. (philoxenia), lit: "love of strangers." May not be a spiritual gift but definitely a Christian virtue. Those who believe this is a separate gift also hold that all believers are to practice hospitality.

link:

http://ldolphin.org/Spgifts.html

Last edited by june 7th; 04-17-2009 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,255 times
Nice link Hazel Eyes! I just had to say something when I saw your post. I think just about every Christian has some special God-given ability, or gift. But beyond that...there's this Lambert Dolphin guy referred to in your link...

Lambert Dolphin, for whatever reason, is not very widely known in Christian circles (haven't seen him discussed on this forum before), but...IMO...he should be. He has a website with an extremely wide diversity of topics, including scientific research (he is a respected physicist...he's well educated) He has been a faithful Christian for a long time, and I believe he stands on pretty solid ground (spiritually speaking) And...he isn't one of those who shout on TV, begging for your money. Instead, he's kind of the silent type, not heard from too much, but his website is such an amazing virtual gold mine of information.

Here's more, ya'll might find something of interest there:

Lambert Dolphin's Library

Lambert's Web Links

Lambert's Library

Brief Resume

And a little story for you:
About 12 years ago I was very active in selling stuff on Ebay, as a means of extra income. My brother was unemployed at the time, and practically penniless, so I offered to teach him how to "Ebay" too. He said he had the perfect item to sell: a beat-up old pair of size 11 black combat boots, that had easily already passed 8 of thier 9 lives. I thought they were about ready for the garbage heap. But then....the object was to teach, not criticize. So we "spiffed them up" a bit, took a picture, then I helped my brother to list them on Ebay. After a week, low and behold, a miracle: we had a BUYER! For a whopping $8 (if my memory serves me) And, who might that buyer have been? You guessed it: Lambert Dolphin...
I suspect he just felt sorry for my brother, in his buying those old boots...

P.S: Lambert, if you're reading this, THANK YOU!

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 04-17-2009 at 09:53 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Nice link Hazel Eyes! I just had to say something when I saw your post. I think just about every Christian has some special God-given ability, or gift. But beyond that...there's this Lambert Dolphin guy referred to in your link...

Lambert Dolphin, for whatever reason, is not very widely known in Christian circles (haven't seen him discussed on this forum before), but...IMO...he should be. He has a website with an extremely wide diversity of topics, including scientific research (he is a respected physicist...he's well educated) He has been a faithful Christian for a long time, and I believe he stands on pretty solid ground (spiritually speaking) And...he isn't one of those who shout on TV, begging for your money. Instead, he's kind of the silent type, not heard from too much, but his website is such an amazing virtual gold mine of information.

Here's more, ya'll might find something of interest there:

Lambert Dolphin's Library

Lambert's Web Links

Lambert's Library

Brief Resume

And a little story for you:
About 12 years ago I was very active in selling stuff on Ebay, as a means of extra income. My brother was unemployed at the time, and practically penniless, so I offered to teach him how to "Ebay" too. He said he had the perfect item to sell: a beat-up old pair of size 11 black combat boots, that had easily already passed 8 of thier 9 lives. I thought they were about ready for the garbage heap. But then....the object was to teach, not criticize. So we "spiffed them up" a bit, took a picture, then I helped my brother to list them on Ebay. After a week, low and behold, a miracle: we had a BUYER! For a whopping $8 (if my memory serves me) And, who might that buyer have been? You guessed it: Lambert Dolphin...
I suspect he just felt sorry for my brother, in his buying those old boots...

P.S: Lambert, if you're reading this, THANK YOU!

Bud
Great story about the boots...

A local Calvary Chapel pastor used Lambert Dolphin's website and that's how I found out about it..

Old 04-18-2009, 07:55 AM

24 posts, read 37,634 times
Theres always a ? for everything. [lol]

Old 04-18-2009, 08:43 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
I thought that we are each given a free 'gift' of holy spirit, Christ in us, the hope of Glory.

The Bible also discusses 5 gift ministries, given to Christ's Church: Apostles, Evangelists, Pastors, Prophets, and Teachers.

From the Bible we see there are a total of 6 gifts, given from God to Man. One to each of us individually when we believe; and 5 given to the church [ministries that can be operated by an individual as a profit to the body of believers].

Old 04-18-2009, 12:39 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
I've taken several spritual gifts tests and it seems my gift is MERCY..I'm curious as to what some of yours are...Below are the gifts as defined in scripture..

Moderator cut: modified in order to adhere to copyright

19. Mercy (eleos) An ability to touch inwardly with compassion. To be exercised with "cheerfulness". 20. Hospitality. (philoxenia), lit: "love of strangers." May not be a spiritual gift but definitely a Christian virtue. Those who believe this is a separate gift also hold that all believers are to practice hospitality.

link:

Spiritual Gifts
Well, I think that I also have the gift of mercy and I work in the ministry of Hospitality. But I am looking inward to see if God has given me other gifts to use for His glory.

There were other gifts that I wanted to have but the Holy Spirit is the giver and will give you what ever gift that He wants you to have.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:12 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,284,747 times
All good gifts come down to us from the Father (James 1:17), they do not come to us without our prayer, openness and co-operation. It is our task to receive them and to exercise them responsibly. We are therefore instructed to “eagerly desire to obtain the higher gifts,” to “eagerly desire to obtain spiritual gifts,” and “…especially the gift of prophecy” (1 Cor 12:31; 14:2). When we have received from the Lord the gift of tongues we are invited to ask Him for additional inspiration whenever we need the gift of interpretation (1 Cor 14:13).

Any who claim to be waiting for God should see that He is usually waiting for our move. Many do not have because they do not ask. Or we may be asking from wrong motives, or without checking and finding that God has shown He wants us to have them (James 4:2–3).
Discernment and wisdom is a gift we should seek after with fervent prayer, without these we
shall walk as the blind.
God Bless

Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Well, I think that I also have the gift of mercy and I work in the ministry of Hospitality. But I am looking inward to see if God has given me other gifts to use for His glory.

There were other gifts that I wanted to have but the Holy Spirit is the giver and will give you what ever gift that He wants you to have.
I'm very tender hearted so I'm not surprised that I always show MERCY as my spiritual gift...Of course I always wanted to SING and the Lord didn't bless me in that gift..

Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
I'm very tender hearted so I'm not surprised that I always show MERCY as my spiritual gift...Of course I always wanted to SING and the Lord didn't bless me in that gift..

lol...I have to smile at that. I don't think I have the gift of singing either...but I joined the choir and they haven't ran me off yet!...lol
BTW...I know what test you are speaking of...
My highest score was also showing Mercy.
Maybe it is the tender heart that makes us score like this
I also get my feelings hurt easily....for example...I'm a cry baby--or it feels like that sometimes...lol
I think this is because I care about others...sometimes more than they think I should.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:46 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
All good gifts come down to us from the Father (James 1:17)
Yes they do.

I am so glad to see Biblical reference to support that.

I wonder though when you say:
Quote:
... they do not come to us without our prayer, openness and co-operation.
From where do you derive this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity