U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 AM

8,543 posts, read 12,426,563 times

Advertisements

Or is it meaningless? Meaning I'm praying to a name,but not the true God? In other words I'm praying to nothing,beucase that might not be his name?

Let me give some backround.
I've been praying to Jehovah for 17 years,yet I feel that my prayers haven't been answered.
Sometimes,the opposite has occured. Tears upon tears,yet nothing.

Yet,I see others who say all the time their prayers were answered,and they don't pray to Jehovah,but use "lord,father,God,etc.

Yet I know some JW witness,and their prayers seem to be answered too.

Can anyone help me with this,please?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM

58 posts, read 69,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Or is it meaningless? Meaning I'm praying to a name,but not the true God? In other words I'm praying to nothing,beucase that might not be his name?

I've been praying to Jehovah for 17 years,yet I feel that my prayers haven't been answered.

Yet,I see others who say all the time their prayers were answered,and they don't pray to Jehovah,but use "lord,father,God,etc.

God see's the intention of your heart.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,236,854 times
The only way to the Father is through His Son Jesus Christ, who was God manifested in the flesh. Are you a Jehovah's Witness? JW's believe in a different Jesus. Jesus was not created by God. Jesus IS God.

Isaiah 44: 6 Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel
and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
“I am the first and I am the last;
besides me there is no god.

Revelation 1: 17When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 AM

10,568 posts, read 11,900,842 times
God does not have a name. The naming of God was done to humanize this entity...it's not human.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 AM

32,407 posts, read 18,499,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
The only way to the Father is through His Son Jesus Christ, who was God manifested in the flesh. Are you a Jehovah's Witness? JW's believe in a different Jesus. Jesus was not created by God. Jesus IS God.

Isaiah 44: 6 Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel
and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
“I am the first and I am the last;
besides me there is no god.

Revelation 1: 17When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever!
Did you actually read those verses?...

Old 04-25-2013, 11:37 AM

8,543 posts, read 12,426,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Jones View Post
I do not understand.

I wasn't praying for riches

Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,759,168 times
Quote:

Call Him by the name that most connects with your heart is what I'd say. When I say "The Divine" my heart sings because that's what I know Him as. God is the name I use to make it more understandable to others.

We don't always get what we want because there's certain things in life we have to learn and certain challenges to overcome. We can look out and compare ourselves to others and wonder why things don't seem to go as smoothly as theirs but that's because they have their own personal challenges to overcome and no one on the outside can judge that. I can tell you the things I have desired the most have been the most difficult to attain.

Do you know the Our Father? When you pray, simply say that as at the end of the day, it's His will that will be done. Continue to talk to Him for courage to access the inner resources He's given you since before birth into this life. You have the ability to overcome and we don't always get things when we want them simply because it isn't yet the time for it, even if you think it is. But you have the ability to overcome all of the challenges set before you in this life, it's already been granted.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM

17,157 posts, read 9,726,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Jones View Post
Quote:
I do not understand.

Hi Jerseygal4u. I don't know what Nathan meant but he said what I was thinking. Here's my understanding...

God responds to the true desires of our heart. If I am asking for something and not receiving it, I would consider the possibility that there is a stronger desire that I am not consciously acknowledging that is keeping me from obtaining whatever it is I THINK I desire.

As an example: I'm telling God that I desire to accomplish something in particular, but deep down I'm fearful of how that accomplishment will impact my life, and avoiding the fear is a stronger desire than my desire for accomplishment. The strongest desire (to avoid the fear) is what my true intention is, and that's what God responds to.

So, if my prayer is not being answered, I would ask God to show me what are the things within myself -- the real deep-down desires that I don't want to acknowledge -- that are blocking it. Becoming aware of those things is a good starting point.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM

17,157 posts, read 9,726,031 times
Jerseygal4u, there's another point I would consider if a prayer is not being answered... Is my request in harmony with love? If not, then I don't believe that the God (who is love) would respond to that request. And the tricky thing is that something may seem like it's in harmony with love but with closer examination (or when we gain a greater understanding of the principles of love) it becomes apparent that it is not.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:20 PM

58 posts, read 69,014 times
Quote:
I do not understand.

I simply mean that God knows your attempting to communicate with Him even if your not getting His name just right.

How would you describe your relationship with God? I am not trying pry or make judgements but based on your question I think perhaps you need to examine such things. Or it could be that what your asking for is not God's plan or in His timing yet. Really hard to give you a direct answer without more information. But I can assure you God is capable of knowing you are trying to talk to Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity