Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

Although traditionally the Christian denomination of Eastern Europeans and Americans descended from those nations (Greek, Russian, etc.), Eastern Orthodoxy is attracting converts from Protestantism and Catholicism in the United States. Can anyone here make a case as to how it is truer than the other Christian denominations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 07:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Well, all faiths are attracting converts from all other faiths. I would imagine that Eastern Orthodoxy tends to attract far more from the Roman faith, simply because the eucharist and tradition are so similar.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:13 AM

522 posts, read 622,690 times
I'm Catholic, but some I've heard from Orthodoxers are a bit like.

One: Orthodoxy has the most continuity with the Early Christians. The Early Christians mostly used the Septuagint Bible, as does Orthodoxy, not the Rabbinic Old-Testament as Protestantism does.

Two: Orthodox converts sometimes like to say how it's much less influenced by the severity or rigidity they see in St. Augustine. Augustine's influence can be found in much Protestantism as well, but is far more limited in Orthodoxy.

Three: Orthodox converts from Protestantism sometimes come close to saying they like that it's "ancient Christianity" without any Pope or single leader. That they were maybe disillusioned with the history of both Protestantism and Catholicism.

Then maybe stuff that's even more specifically why Orthodoxy is "better" than other pre-Reformed Christians.

On the Coptics et alia Orthodox might say that they veered away from the Ecumenical Councils from Chalcedon to the 787 Council in Nicea. On us Catholics they feel we're too influenced by pagan Hellenistic philosophies, particularly Aristotelian, and created "unnecessary innovations" after 787.

As a Catholic I felt rather awkward, or guilty, doing that. But I think our reasoning is correct and that on certain areas Orthodoxy strikes me as too anti-intellectual or vague. For me learning more about it made me somewhat less interested/tempted. Also I think some Orthodox advocates exaggerate our differences a bit or underestimate how much they've "developed" since 787.

Last edited by TAJR; 05-19-2013 at 01:48 AM..

Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 PM

889 posts, read 825,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJR View Post
I'm Catholic, but some I've heard from Orthodoxers are a bit like.

One: Orthodoxy has the most continuity with the Early Christians. The Early Christians mostly used the Septuagint Bible, as does Orthodoxy, not the Rabbinic Old-Testament as Protestantism does.

Two: Orthodox converts sometimes like to say how it's much less influenced by the severity or rigidity they see in St. Augustine. Augustine's influence can be found in much Protestantism as well, but is far more limited in Orthodoxy.

Three: Orthodox converts from Protestantism sometimes come close to saying they like that it's "ancient Christianity" without any Pope or single leader. That they were maybe disillusioned with the history of both Protestantism and Catholicism.

Then maybe stuff that's even more specifically why Orthodoxy is "better" than other pre-Reformed Christians.

On the Coptics et alia Orthodox might say that they veered away from the Ecumenical Councils from Chalcedon to the 787 Council in Nicea. On us Catholics they feel we're too influenced by pagan Hellenistic philosophies, particularly Aristotelian, and created "unnecessary innovations" after 787.

As a Catholic I felt rather awkward, or guilty, doing that. But I think our reasoning is correct and that on certain areas Orthodoxy strikes me as too anti-intellectual or vague. For me learning more about it made me somewhat less interested/tempted. Also I think some Orthodox advocates exaggerate our differences a bit or underestimate how much they've "developed" since 787.
Eastern Orthodox is number two on the Truth charts right behind Rome, the preeminent see of the Church. Oh wait, Eastern Orthodox is not even one church. Then it's like two through 8 or 10 or something like that.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Eastern Orthodox is number two on the Truth charts right behind Rome, the preeminent see of the Church. Oh wait, Eastern Orthodox is not even one church. Then it's like two through 8 or 10 or something like that.
Well, the church is divided into I think about 5 patriarchies, but they are all in communion, so one church, 5 or so governing bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity