Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 06:46 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times

Advertisements

The following biblical prophecies do not seem to have been fulfilled.

Perhaps a viewer can provide evidence to the contrary or an explanation.

2 Chron 7:18 "then I will establish your royal throne, as I made covenant with your father David saying, “You shall never lack a successor to rule over Israel.”

Zedekiah was the last king of Israel. He died in 587/586 BC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,152 times
In the context it reads:

17 And as for thee, if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, and do according to all that I have commanded thee, and shalt observe my statutes and my judgments;
18 Then will I stablish the throne of thy kingdom, according as I have covenanted with David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man to be ruler in Israel.
19 But if ye turn away, and forsake my statutes and my commandments, which I have set before you, and shall go and serve other gods, and worship them;
20 Then will I pluck them up by the roots out of my land which I have given them; and this house, which I have sanctified for my name, will I cast out of my sight, and will make it to be a proverb and a byword among all nations.

Maybe the explanation is that Salomo or his posterity turned away from God, which was the case I think.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
In the context it reads:

17 And as for thee, if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, and do according to all that I have commanded thee, and shalt observe my statutes and my judgments;
18 Then will I stablish the throne of thy kingdom, according as I have covenanted with David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man to be ruler in Israel.
19 But if ye turn away, and forsake my statutes and my commandments, which I have set before you, and shall go and serve other gods, and worship them;
20 Then will I pluck them up by the roots out of my land which I have given them; and this house, which I have sanctified for my name, will I cast out of my sight, and will make it to be a proverb and a byword among all nations.

Maybe the explanation is that Salomo or his posterity turned away from God, which was the case I think.
RESPONSE:

Here's the prophecy without the "context."

1 Chron 17
11 "When your days are over and you go to be with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom. 12 He is the one who will build a house for me [This was Solomon], and I will establish his throne forever. 13 I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will never take my love away from him, as I took it away from your predecessor. 14 I will set him over my house and my kingdom forever; his throne will be established forever.’”

Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,152 times
Where's the problem? "For ever" in the OT often merely means "for life" if thats your point (e.g. 1 Samuel 27:12), so it either refers to Salomo who was actually king for life; or it is a reference to Christ whose kingdom will have no end (Luke 1:33).

I do not get your point.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
The following biblical prophecies do not seem to have been fulfilled.

Perhaps a viewer can provide evidence to the contrary or an explanation.

2 Chron 7:18 "then I will establish your royal throne, as I made covenant with your father David saying, “You shall never lack a successor to rule over Israel.”

Zedekiah was the last king of Israel. He died in 587/586 BC.
Jesus is the King of Israel. He will return and establish a kingdom. So.....it's kind of fulfilled, but will be in entirety in the future.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:40 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
it is a reference to Christ whose kingdom will have no end (Luke 1:33).
Yes in Luke 1: 31-33.....The messenger Angel Gabriel appears to Mary and says .....``Look, You will receive in your womb , and bring forth a son , and will call His name Jesus.....He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest, and the Lord God will give to Him the throne of His father David. . And He will reign over the house of Jacob for ever and of His kingdom there will be on end.``........The only unfulfilled Prophecy here to date is that the vast amount of people from the traditional House of Jacob have never received Lord Jesus as their King , only the Messianic Jews, and the people of the world who Jesus adopted into His Kingdom through their obedience to the authorship of Jesus commands .....

Old 05-26-2013, 04:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
You have to remember that David was not just a physical king, but also a prophet. My guess, without completely researching this text is that it is a reference to the coming of Christ. He is the king of Israel and sits on his throne, ruling HIs church forevermore. Note this text.

Lk 1:32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,
Lk 1:33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end.”

So the prophecy is fulfilled. But the OP is right, there are still unfulfilled prophecies, that is in the return of Christ, judgment the resurrection, and the end of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity