Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
Those simplest instructions depend on who you are asking. Some say the most important things are trying to be sinless and fighting evil in others. Others say that to love and respect all people is most important. My parents do the latter, and I love that in them.
Actually, as Christians we are suppose to go by what Jesus says. He said
Matthew 22:36-40

New International Version (NIV)
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”[
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Additionally, John 13:35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

]There are no exceptions to this folks. We think, we can cherry pick, but Jesus made it clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 06:09 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpose14 View Post
Actually, as Christians we are suppose to go by what Jesus says. He said
Matthew 22:36-40

New International Version (NIV)
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”[
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Additionally, John 13:35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

]There are no exceptions to this folks. We think, we can cherry pick, but Jesus made it clear.
Exactly

Jesus said it's the greatest commandment! I always found it fascinating how Jesus said people will know His disciples by the love they show to each other. In church, I often hear people say people should know you're a Christian by what you DON'T do, but this isn't biblical. It's in the (genuine) love we show.

Not only that, 1 John 4:20 even suggests that there's a breach in our relationship with God if we don't love people:

"Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen."

Even on Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, He puts a heavy weight on reconciling with others. He instructs people to leave their gifts at the alter and reconcile before they offer them!

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

“Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift." ~~ Matthew 5:21-24

It's sad that, in churches today, we talk so much about other things, but we neglect to simply teach on loving each other genuinely and treating each other with respect. It's true that nobody is perfect, but Jesus gave us instructions on dealing with conflict (Matthew 5:25-26; 18:15-17).

It's sad that we have so many gifted people in the church who simply can't get along with people. You have choir members who compete with each other, Pastors trying to get over on the congregation, prayer ministers who gossip, ushers who are rude to visitors, etc. You can be gifted, but if you can't simply get along, your gift will be eclipsed by your own ego. You can know the scriptures inside and out, but if you can't treat people right, what does it all mean?

At the same time, there are so many phenomenal Christians out there who really take Christ's teachings to heart when it comes to interpersonal relationships.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:52 AM

31 posts, read 87,245 times
I strongly feel that the root of “mean” behavior among Christian people can be directly attributed to the failure to reinforce core Christian values.

Consider the following person, who if you are like me you have encountered at least once in life:

Grew up in a Christian household and spent his informative years in church (morning and evening service, Sunday school, mid-week Bible study, youth activities, etc). Four years of Christian college following high school were succeeded by seminary and a Masters of Divinity. More than likely pursues a secular profession as opposed to a full time ministry position but otherwise is highly respected in whatever church in which he is placed. Outwardly does everything right, does not have any bad habits and is widely considered an example of who and what a Christian should be and look like, including not doing any of the conservative don’ts: Does not drink or smoke, does not listen to secular music, does not wear his hair a certain length, does not dance, does not watch certain programs or movies, etc.

Yet, when you get to know this person you can sense an element of inward harshness, almost to the point of approaching the faith as a ‘job’; and since he performs this ‘job’ better than others he puts himself in a position of judgment over those not performing up to his standards. For example, he could be gossipy and place others in a negative light in the process: “so-and-so is a weak Christian”, or “this person is mentally ill”, or “he/she is struggling in this area”.

Perhaps it is due to the faith coming so easy to him (at least from a performance standpoint) that he has developed a bit of a contemptuous edge (or intolerance) towards those that might not be quite on his level from a faith standpoint. It cannot help but bring to mind Romans 15:1: “We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves”.

The problem is that in this individuals world he believe it is best to “crush the weak” as opposed to bearing with them. Which begs the following questions: Who amongst us is strong as opposed to weak? And what does it mean to be strong as opposed to weak?

Perhaps there are those amongst us who we consider strong but who inwardly are exhibiting weakness and we fail to realize it because the standards are not high enough. Likewise, perhaps there are also those amongst us we consider weak but exhibit more strength than we give them credit for because, again, the standards are not high enough.

I have a recent asked myself what does it mean to be successful as a Christian? Or more specifically, what does a successful Christian look and act like? In what manner does a successful Christian conduct himself? And how do we define success in the first place?

It cannot help but bring to mind 2 Peter 1:5-8: “For this reason make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge, and to knowledge, self-control, and to self-control, perseverance, and to perseverance, godliness, and to godliness, brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure they will keep you form being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ”.

So there you have it: If you wish to be “effective” and “productive” in the faith it starts inwardly: faith, goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, kindness and brotherly love. Or more specifically, it is who you are inside as a person and ultimately how you treat and regard those around you that matters.

Titus 3:2 sums things up best: “to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate and to show true humility toward all men”.

As do the three “one another’s”:

Hebrews 3:13: “But encourage one another daily…”

Galatians 5:13: “…rather serve one another in love”

Romans 15: 7: “Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you…”

When factoring the above with other core Christian values (compassion, patience, kindness and gentleness) it is easy to form the conclusion that if one is truly a Christian then they have positive people skills (or the capacity to deal with people from a positive standpoint) to show for it.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 AM

472 posts, read 570,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From Mars View Post
I strongly feel that the root of “mean” behavior among Christian people can be directly attributed to the failure to reinforce core Christian values. . .
Great post! Yes, the holier-than-thou with contempt for the "lesser people", without love, compassion etc. . . I've met plenty of those.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:29 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From Mars View Post
I strongly feel that the root of “mean” behavior among Christian people can be directly attributed to the failure to reinforce core Christian values.

Consider the following person, who if you are like me you have encountered at least once in life:

Grew up in a Christian household and spent his informative years in church (morning and evening service, Sunday school, mid-week Bible study, youth activities, etc). Four years of Christian college following high school were succeeded by seminary and a Masters of Divinity. More than likely pursues a secular profession as opposed to a full time ministry position but otherwise is highly respected in whatever church in which he is placed. Outwardly does everything right, does not have any bad habits and is widely considered an example of who and what a Christian should be and look like, including not doing any of the conservative don’ts: Does not drink or smoke, does not listen to secular music, does not wear his hair a certain length, does not dance, does not watch certain programs or movies, etc.

Yet, when you get to know this person you can sense an element of inward harshness, almost to the point of approaching the faith as a ‘job’; and since he performs this ‘job’ better than others he puts himself in a position of judgment over those not performing up to his standards. For example, he could be gossipy and place others in a negative light in the process: “so-and-so is a weak Christian”, or “this person is mentally ill”, or “he/she is struggling in this area”.

Perhaps it is due to the faith coming so easy to him (at least from a performance standpoint) that he has developed a bit of a contemptuous edge (or intolerance) towards those that might not be quite on his level from a faith standpoint. It cannot help but bring to mind Romans 15:1: “We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves”.

The problem is that in this individuals world he believe it is best to “crush the weak” as opposed to bearing with them. Which begs the following questions: Who amongst us is strong as opposed to weak? And what does it mean to be strong as opposed to weak?

Perhaps there are those amongst us who we consider strong but who inwardly are exhibiting weakness and we fail to realize it because the standards are not high enough. Likewise, perhaps there are also those amongst us we consider weak but exhibit more strength than we give them credit for because, again, the standards are not high enough.

I have a recent asked myself what does it mean to be successful as a Christian? Or more specifically, what does a successful Christian look and act like? In what manner does a successful Christian conduct himself? And how do we define success in the first place?

It cannot help but bring to mind 2 Peter 1:5-8: “For this reason make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge, and to knowledge, self-control, and to self-control, perseverance, and to perseverance, godliness, and to godliness, brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure they will keep you form being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ”.

So there you have it: If you wish to be “effective” and “productive” in the faith it starts inwardly: faith, goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, kindness and brotherly love. Or more specifically, it is who you are inside as a person and ultimately how you treat and regard those around you that matters.

Titus 3:2 sums things up best: “to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate and to show true humility toward all men”.

As do the three “one another’s”:

Hebrews 3:13: “But encourage one another daily…”

Galatians 5:13: “…rather serve one another in love”

Romans 15: 7: “Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you…”

When factoring the above with other core Christian values (compassion, patience, kindness and gentleness) it is easy to form the conclusion that if one is truly a Christian then they have positive people skills (or the capacity to deal with people from a positive standpoint) to show for it.
Very good post. I like what you shared from 2 Peter about adding to your faith. I was only thinking on this scripture the other day. I believe the key to adding these things is actually thinking on these things and setting our affection upon them.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Christians (not all but most--especially true among Calvinists, but also prominently prevalent among Arminianists who mistakenly believe they have exercised their "volitional free will" to choose Jesus) believe that they are part of a very elite 1% of humanity that are going to escape the eternal torments of hell that awaits non-Christians and spend eternity in heaven with Jesus. The infinitesimal population up there insures that they, the "Bride", will get regular visitation rights with their "Husband") .

This elitism cannot help but send them into ecstatic states of pure excitement and delight, but these emotions conversely affects their attitudes toward those they subconsciously (sometimes consciously) feel are inferior to them because they "made it" while 99% of everyone else didn't.

I have never met a Christian who believes with all his heart that non-believers in Christ will spend eternity tormented in hell who DID NOT BELIEVE that he was part of that elite 1% destined to spend eternity in heaven. The two go hand in hand. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for a believer in eternal torment to NOT believe he is saved and destined for heaven. The two are irrevocably locked together.

Their creed is a single verse from the Bible: Matthew 25:46

Quote:
46 “Then these [non-believers] will go away to eternal torment, but the righteous [them] into eternal life.”

Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Christians (not all but most--especially true among Calvinists, but also prominently prevalent among Arminianists who mistakenly believe they have exercised their "volitional free will" to choose Jesus) believe that they are part of a very elite 1% of humanity that are going to escape the eternal torments of hell that awaits non-Christians and spend eternity in heaven with Jesus. The infinitesimal population up there insures that they, the "Bride", will get regular visitation rights with their "Husband") .

This elitism cannot help but send them into ecstatic states of pure excitement and delight, but these emotions conversely affects their attitudes toward those they subconsciously (sometimes consciously) feel are inferior to them because they "made it" while 99% of everyone else didn't.

I have never met a Christian who believes with all his heart that non-believers in Christ will spend eternity tormented in hell who DID NOT BELIEVE that he was part of that elite 1% destined to spend eternity in heaven. The two go hand in hand. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for a believer in eternal torment to NOT believe he is saved and destined for heaven. The two are irrevocably locked together.

Their creed is a single verse from the Bible: Matthew 25:46
Who is telling you this stuff? 1% - did you get that from the Occupy movement? Ecstatic states, pure excitement and delight... please tell me where you are getting this stuff from?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Who is telling you this stuff? 1% - did you get that from the Occupy movement? Ecstatic states, pure excitement and delight... please tell me where you are getting this stuff from?
I will answer you but first answer a couple of questions for me:

1. Do you believe in eternal torment for everyone who doesn't accept Jesus as his savior? Simple yes or no.
2. Do you believe that the majority of mankind is going to hell for all eternity? Simple yes or no
3. Do you believe you are saved? Simple yes or no.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:24 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I will answer you but first answer a couple of questions for me:

1. Do you believe in eternal torment for everyone who doesn't accept Jesus as his savior? Simple yes or no.
2. Do you believe that the majority of mankind is going to hell for all eternity? Simple yes or no
3. Do you believe you are saved? Simple yes or no.
I always answer your questions.

1. Yes.

Revelation 14:9-12 - Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name." Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

2. I don't know.

Romans 10:6-7 (caps from NASB) - "DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, `WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?' (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or `WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?' (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead)."

3. Yes.

Romans 8:16 - The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

Now can you answer my questions please?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I always answer your questions.

1. Yes.

Revelation 14:9-12 - Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name." Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

2. I don't know.

Romans 10:6-7 (caps from NASB) - "DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, `WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?' (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or `WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?' (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead)."

3. Yes.

Romans 8:16 - The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

Now can you answer my questions please?
Hold on just a second, before we get to my answers. Your answer to question #2 contradicts your answer to question #1. If you believe that everyone who doesn't accept Jesus is going to hell for all eternity and you know that the vast majority of mankind rejects Jesus then how can you say you don't know if the majority of mankind is going to hell? Doesn't compute. By extension of logic your yes to #1 should automatically extend to #2. Please explain why you can't answer #2 if you can say with confidence yes to #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity