Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:20 AM

109 posts, read 239,180 times

Advertisements

I remember reading a book in college a few years back about extremist groups in America, the vast majority of which ended up being white supremacist organizations. I used to think it was just KKK, Nazi, skinheads, etc but there are WAY WAY WAY more white extremist groups in the US who aren't given media attention that you'd of never know existed without reading/researching books on extremism in America. What bothered me is that most if not all of these white supremacists groups, profess a central theme of being Christian organizations aimed with the ideology of not only promoting the white race but also Christianity. Most of them don't just hate non-whites, but also non-Christians. Some of them even have founded actual Christian sects with their own churches, denominations, organizations etc. It got me thinking back to when KKK burned crosses on people's yards, how some of the slave ships that Africans were brought on were named after biblical figures even having a slave ship called "Jesus", and how some of the settlers here and also in South America killed Indians believing them to be non-Christian heathens, and how this country has a long history of white supremacy using Christianity.

Is this stuff accepted in Christianity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 11:29 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Christ preached love. Not hate.

It's like people who are "anti-water" swimming in the ocean in the pouring down rain.
Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

If someone is preaching things that go against loving your neighbor, then they are not preaching Christ. So what does their label really symbolize? Nothing. It is meaningless. Don't pay attention to the label someone wears, pay attention to their heart, their actions towards others.

"christianity" is what exactly?? Labels are what exactly??

Judge each person as individuals.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:29 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post

Just when I thought the Christian Identity Movement had petered out. You may notice that every one of these lunatic fringe groups promotes Christianity as a religion or as an expression of their society and completely ignores the message brought by Jesus. Every one will emphasize the Old Testament, which is not the foundation of Christianity, but which supports their perception that God hates whom they hate in spite of such references as the last few verses of Matthew 5 which states categorically that God loves everyone and urges us to be as perfect in love as God.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
I remember reading a book in college a few years back about extremist groups in America, the vast majority of which ended up being white supremacist organizations. I used to think it was just KKK, Nazi, skinheads, etc but there are WAY WAY WAY more white extremist groups in the US who aren't given media attention that you'd of never know existed without reading/researching books on extremism in America. What bothered me is that most if not all of these white supremacists groups, profess a central theme of being Christian organizations aimed with the ideology of not only promoting the white race but also Christianity. Most of them don't just hate non-whites, but also non-Christians. Some of them even have founded actual Christian sects with their own churches, denominations, organizations etc. It got me thinking back to when KKK burned crosses on people's yards, how some of the slave ships that Africans were brought on were named after biblical figures even having a slave ship called "Jesus", and how some of the settlers here and also in South America killed Indians believing them to be non-Christian heathens, and how this country has a long history of white supremacy using Christianity.

racism goes against what the Bible teaches. A white supremacist can claim to be a Christian, but I just don't see how he/she could be acting in the name of Christ by doing it.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

It's like people who are "anti-water" swimming in the ocean in the pouring down rain.
Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

If someone is preaching things that go against loving your neighbor, then they are not preaching Christ. So what does their label really symbolize? Nothing. It is meaningless. Don't pay attention to the label someone wears, pay attention to their heart, their actions towards others.

"christianity" is what exactly?? Labels are what exactly??

Judge each person as individuals.
Great post, Sparrow. "Christian" and "Christianity" are just labels and can't possibly be used to classify any one group of people. Painting with broad strokes and pasting labels on is a very inaccurate way to analyze a person.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Being that Jesus was non-white while on the earth - the whole link with white supremacy groups really makes no sense to me.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:05 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Just when I thought the Christian Identity Movement had petered out. You may notice that every one of these lunatic fringe groups promotes Christianity as a religion or as an expression of their society and completely ignores the message brought by Jesus. Every one will emphasize the Old Testament, which is not the foundation of Christianity, but which supports their perception that God hates whom they hate in spite of such references as the last few verses of Matthew 5 which states categorically that God loves everyone and urges us to be as perfect in love as God.
I thought that might be the source.

"Christian Identity" is a hate group that began in the late 70s They are still around unfortunately. Now we also have the Westboro Baptist Church.

I'm sure there are a plethora of other extremist groups out there.

What Nate said ^^^ Our God is a God of Love, not hate.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You may notice that every one of these lunatic fringe groups promotes Christianity as a religion or as an expression of their society and completely ignores the message brought by Jesus. Every one will emphasize the Old Testament, which is not the foundation of Christianity, but which supports their perception that God hates whom they hate in spite of such references as the last few verses of Matthew 5, which states categorically that God loves everyone and urges us to be as perfect in love as God.
Love and hate cannot cohabitate.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:55 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
racism goes against what the Bible teaches. A white supremacist can claim to be a Christian, but I just don't see how he/she could be acting in the name of Christ by doing it.
Which makes it ironic how so many on the right wing spectrum of politics went berserk when Obama was elected and began to let their racist slurs out of the closet - many of them regular church-going folk too. There is a lot of racism alive and kicking in the U.S. even in "Christian" circles including in my own family (two of my brothers are bigots) one is Christian and one is atheist.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 PM

995 posts, read 955,970 times
Quote:

I have elder family members who are convinced inter-racial couples are evil and will burn in Hell, and these relatives of mine get that notion from the Bible. Moses made the order to all Jews never to marry outside their race in remembrance of their "covenant".The Bible CLEARLY sanctions the practice of slavery, the beating of slaves and the selling of children into slavery. Here are 4 passages I pulled up on that.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity