Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You don't have to reword my posts, and make declarations about what you think I believe. You had no idea what the OT said about loving your neighbor and what it said about enemies, so I showed you a few verses. You were wrong. Period. Get used to it.
You haven't shown me anything. The teaching of Jesus Christ was absolutely revolutionary, if it wasn't, tell me why do YOU think he said "but I say unto you, love your enemies" ?. Why didn't he say " you know the scripture teaches love your enemies, so love your enemies" ?. You believe in God believe also in me.

So the same God you admit to teaching us to love our enemies in Old Testament days , also taught us to destroy them in old testament days too( you can deny this as much as you want, but you believe it, you believe all the savagery and atrocities Israel committed that the Old Testament writers credited to the hand of God, is the same God who said love your enemies ), you just cannot make this kind of stuff up.

Realizing this kind of thinking within myself was what caused me to forsake the doctrines and traditions of Christianity and to learn of and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Unless you answer these simple questions,i have nothing directly left to say to you.

Last edited by pcamps; 06-06-2013 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
God is love,always has been, man had know idea the depth of it or able to understand this, even though it was right there in the scripture . So to man, it most definitely was and remains a new message to this day.
Was it in Scripture...

Quote:
You haven't shown me anything. The teaching of Jesus Christ was absolutely revolutionary, if it wasn't, tell me why do YOU think he said "but I say unto you, love your enemies" ?. Why didn't he say " you know the scripture teaches love your enemies, so love your enemies" ?. You believe in God believe also in me.

So the same God you admit to teaching us to love our enemies, also taught us to destroy them?.

Realizing this kind of thinking within myself was what caused me to forsake the doctrines and traditions of Christianity and to learn of and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Unless you answer these simple questions,i have nothing directly left to say to you.
...or wasn't it? You seem to be saying both.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Was it in Scripture...

...or wasn't it? You seem to be saying both.
Never once said it wasn't in scripture. There was one all important place that it wasn't.............in the heart and minds of men. Loving your enemies was totally an alien concept, and the very reason the revolutionary Jesus said.............. But I say unto you. If this was not new to the hearer even though it was right there in their scriptures, why did he have to say but I say unto you?. Why would he have to say this to the hearer if it was already known ?.

What you Finn Jarber and the usual suspects are saying is,the God that in the old testament taught us to love our enemies, also taught us to destroy them. Do you not see anything wrong with this concept?.

Last edited by pcamps; 06-06-2013 at 06:51 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 PM

76,949 posts, read 47,272,488 times
Quote:

So the same God you admit to teaching us to love our enemies in Old Testament days , also taught us to destroy them in old testament days too

I showed it in posts #14 & 16, and later I explained why teachings of Jesus were indeed revolutionary.

Quote:
Unless you answer these simple questions,i have nothing directly left to say to
you
Maybe it's better if you dont. I appreciate it. Thanks.

Quote:
So the same God you admit to teaching us to love our enemies in Old Testament days , also taught us to destroy them in old testament days too
He sure did, and the NT says God appoints the men of authority aka "agents of wrath" who carry a sword for Him, and bring terror to the evil doers.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-06-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
What you Finn Jarber and the usual suspects are saying is,the God that in the old testament taught us to love our enemies, also taught us to destroy them. Do you not see anything wrong with this concept?.
Usual suspects? Take it easy.

Jesus spoke of coming judgment even worse than we see in the OT. Nothing new.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
It is pretty clear the OP had no idea "love your neighbor" was a quote from Leviticus. That's why he thought it's brand new, and revolutionary.
It was a brand new concept introduced by Jesus Christ, even though it was right there in their scripture.This is why he said but I say unto you.

But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away.

If you hear something for the first time, would you argue against that being something new to you ?.

The message of Jesus Christ of loving your enemies was not only new, but totally revolutionary too.

I have said to you many times on this forum that things are hidden and revealed, the fact that Jesus said 'but I say unto you" proves this was hidden right there in scipture and revealed to those who heard and received it as something completely newm when heard for the first time.

The fact that christianity believes God taught under the Old Testament to love and destroy our enemies in this day age is alarming to say the least.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Usual suspects? Take it easy.

Jesus spoke of coming judgment even worse than we see in the OT. Nothing new.
Judgement.......another thing totally taken apart and repackaged by the creators of the doctrines and traditions of men.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Judgement.......another thing totally taken apart and repackaged by the creators of the doctrines and traditions of men.
Do you deny that Jesus talked about it?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 PM

76,949 posts, read 47,272,488 times
Quote:
It was a brand new concept introduced by Jesus Christ, even though it was right there in their scripture.This is why he said but I say unto you.

But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away.

If you hear something for the first time, would you argue against that being something new to you ?.

The message of Jesus Christ of loving your enemies was not only new, but totally revolutionary too.

I have said to you many times on this forum that things are hidden and revealed, the fact that Jesus said 'but I say unto you" proves this was hidden right there in scipture and revealed to those who heard and received it as something completely newm when heard for the first time.

The fact that christianity believes God taught under the Old Testament to love and destroy our enemies in this day age is alarming to say the least.
You are still trying to have it both ways, but it fails the test of logic.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
You are still trying to have it both ways, but it fails the test of logic.
What exactly am I trying to have both ways ?.

I do not believe in the two ways that the doctrines of men would have us believe that the same God would have us love and destroy our enemies.

Last edited by pcamps; 06-06-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity