Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:21 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times

Advertisements

Jesus said two things about the OT that shook the religion of his day:

Quote:
Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
Matt.11:11

and this:

Quote:
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Matt.22:37-40

Basically Jesus was saying, "if you look at and follow me, you are already better than the entire OT, including Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Noah and all the rest."

The common people heard his words with gladness. (Mk. 12:37 and Lk. 8:40) I believe God was already preparing people's hearts for the Spirit that was to be poured out at Pentecost.

But the religious leaders refused to hear him, because they were jealous and envious. This is confirmed by their decision to stone Stephen when they heard his message of Jesus. He was considered a heretic. (Why is it, religion seems to rely on heresy in order to survive????)

Jesus broke the rules of religion for the sake of Love. In other words, when faced with the decision of: my religion's rules vs. love, he chose love.

So he actually changed the religious rules of his time. Many people today say they follow Jesus, but they don't understand that God is alive and moving today just as He was back then. Following new rules today makes us fall into the same trap of the religious folks back then. We must decide: religious form, or love?

This is why religion (the letter) can kill. Because when we get nestled down into our doctrines, we miss the fact that God is alive today, forgiving and healing man.

"Love thy neighbor as thyself" was supoerior to everything to do with violence and sacrifice back in the OT. And it is still superior today. Paul didn't preach that people were going to hell. And neither did the early church. What they preached was this: "God has reconciled you to Himself. So reconcile yourself to Him!!"

If we choose to walk in Love, both towards God and our fellow man, today, we shall see salvation.
Praise God for His grace!

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 05:38 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,720,893 times
Jesus indeed was considered a revolutionary or insurrectionist. In fact, He was crucified with two other revolutionaries.

The messiah was expected to sit upon the throne of David (ie. be King of the Jews) and return the rule to Israel (drive out foreign occupiers).

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.” (Luke 22:36, NIV)

The charge sheet placed oin Jesus' cross was (mockingly) "King of the Jews."

Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,486 times
imagine Him on TBN. that would be something to watch.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Jesus indeed was considered a revolutionary or insurrectionist. In fact, He was crucified with two other revolutionaries.

The messiah was expected to sit upon the throne of David (ie. be King of the Jews) and return the rule to Israel (drive out foreign occupiers).

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.” (Luke 22:36, NIV)

The charge sheet placed oin Jesus' cross was (mockingly) "King of the Jews."
In fact, on a spiritual level, we might suppose that Jesus did in fact begin his reign, by sitting on the throne of men's hearts, and driving out unrighteousness. In this light, Jesus fulfilled the prophesies.

The sign above him was "He said, I am the king of the Jews." There's a difference, imo, even though subtle. The religious antagonists (as usual) could bear the idea that he might be king. That's why they requested that Pilate change what was written. And yet, Pilate said "no. What I've written, I've written." A VERY interesting social dynamic. The "righteous" were wrong, and the "unrighteous" (Pilate was not a Jew) were, in fact, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
imagine Him on TBN. that would be something to watch.
lol. I dare say they'd have him taken off stage.

brian

Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
You're missing the forest for the trees.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Jesus said two things about the OT that shook the religion of his day:

Matt.11:11

and this:

Matt.22:37-40

Basically Jesus was saying, "if you look at and follow me, you are already better than the entire OT, including Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Noah and all the rest."

The common people heard his words with gladness. (Mk. 12:37 and Lk. 8:40) I believe God was already preparing people's hearts for the Spirit that was to be poured out at Pentecost.

But the religious leaders refused to hear him, because they were jealous and envious. This is confirmed by their decision to stone Stephen when they heard his message of Jesus. He was considered a heretic. (Why is it, religion seems to rely on heresy in order to survive????)

Jesus broke the rules of religion for the sake of Love. In other words, when faced with the decision of: my religion's rules vs. love, he chose love.

So he actually changed the religious rules of his time. Many people today say they follow Jesus, but they don't understand that God is alive and moving today just as He was back then. Following new rules today makes us fall into the same trap of the religious folks back then. We must decide: religious form, or love?

This is why religion (the letter) can kill. Because when we get nestled down into our doctrines, we miss the fact that God is alive today, forgiving and healing man.

"Love thy neighbor as thyself" was supoerior to everything to do with violence and sacrifice back in the OT. And it is still superior today. Paul didn't preach that people were going to hell. And neither did the early church. What they preached was this: "God has reconciled you to Himself. So reconcile yourself to Him!!"

If we choose to walk in Love, both towards God and our fellow man, today, we shall see salvation.
Praise God for His grace!

Blessings,
brian
Um.. actually, what Jesus said in Matt.22:37-40 (love your neighbor), He was quoting Leviticus.

Leviticus 19:18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord."

Old 06-05-2013, 12:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
The sign above him was "He said, I am the king of the Jews." There's a difference, imo, even though subtle. The religious antagonists (as usual) could bear the idea that he might be king. That's why they requested that Pilate change what was written. And yet, Pilate said "no. What I've written, I've written." A VERY interesting social dynamic. The "righteous" were wrong, and the "unrighteous" (Pilate was not a Jew) were, in fact, right.
There appears to be a mix up in your citation. The part I have bolded is what the religious leaders requested that Pilate change it to.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Um.. actually, what Jesus said in Matt.22:37-40 (love your neighbor), He was quoting Leviticus.

Leviticus 19:18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord."
Yes, the point that the whole Law was summed up in these two, and that the spiritual reality of that as opposed to the formal requirements was what was important in relating to God and man is what was really revolutionary........ along with extending the meaning of "neighbor" to include all mankind (the last few verses of Matt 5).

Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
There appears to be a mix up in your citation. The part I have bolded is what the religious leaders requested that Pilate change it to.
Thanks Nate, you're absolutely right.

blessings,
brian

Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yes, the point that the whole Law was summed up in these two, and that the spiritual reality of that as opposed to the formal requirements was what was important in relating to God and man is what was really revolutionary........ along with extending the meaning of "neighbor" to include all mankind (the last few verses of Matt 5).
Exactly. In fact, Jesus had to specify what a neighbor was, by the story of the good samaritan.

As long as we cannot see our neighbor (any human being) as someone worthy of love just like ourselves, there will always be fighting and division.

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity