Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

I'm lazy and want someone else to look up the quotes, sorry.
But, I thought Jesus was talking to his immediate disciples.

Now that someone believes in the 21c and Jesus' words are on campers
with megaphones, do people (Christians) still think they are meant to 'spread'
his message? It is everywhere....churches on every other block and bumper sticker.

Now, can't Christians abide in him and his words, loving God and their neighbors?

(I know a guy on another forum that thinks it was his "duty" to walk up to a gay guy at a party and tell him , Did he know
he was going to hell because his actions were an abomination to God?)
This gay guy had already heard this 'Good News'.

Wasn't it more according to Jesus' instructions to ask the guy if he needed his drink freshened
bec he was getting himself another?

One scares a person from God, another is reflecting the peace one has found in God,
as I see it....my duty, job, inclination is to love...you can guess which one I would pick, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm lazy and want someone else to look up the quotes, sorry.
But, I thought Jesus was talking to his immediate disciples.

Now that someone believes in the 21c and Jesus' words are on campers
with megaphones, do people (Christians) still think they are meant to 'spread'
his message? It is everywhere....churches on every other block and bumper sticker.

Now, can't Christians abide in him and his words, loving God and their neighbors?

(I know a guy on another forum that thinks it was his "duty" to walk up to a gay guy at a party and tell him , Did he know
he was going to hell because his actions were an abomination to God?)
This gay guy had already heard this 'Good News'.

Wasn't it more according to Jesus' instructions to ask the guy if he needed his drink freshened
bec he was getting himself another?

One scares a person from God, another is reflecting the peace one has found in God,
as I see it....my duty, job, inclination is to love...you can guess which one I would pick, right?
Yes--Jesus said we are to go out and make disciples. We are to be fishers of men...not keepers of the aquarium.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
In some respects, you are quite correct about the message being out there in our society. You can see it whenever someone observing hateful, mean, dishonest or stingy actions says, "And you call yourself a Christian??" The problem that keeps showing itself today is that people are associating public censure of non-traditional action with the kind of ignorant behavior as that other forum responder.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:15 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The deniers may have heard the good news of the Gospel of Jesus , But the denier did not have a personal witness of Lord Jesus , and never did prove to himself that He was wrong in the belief He believes in , or He may believe all church are just the same , and has watered down the message , or he may still sits with the blasphemers of Christ and proves to God , that He will not love God , So Jesus waits for the window of life for this person to come , where the blasphemer spirit cycle has ended through him ............... See Jesus said in the Bible from Matthew 28: 18-20, about spreading the Word of the Gospels..................``All power is given to me in heaven and in the earth ...Go you there for , and teach all nations , baptizing them in the name of the Father , and the Son , and the Holy Spirit...Teach them to observe all things what so ever I have commanded you, and look, I am with you always even to the end of the world ....``............... See Jesus told His current disciples the good news , which in turn relayed the Gospels to all disciples of Christ by the Spirit of Christ is still hear even to the end of the world ...

Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM

Does it say anything that suggests we should now go around preaching?

Like the man he told to sell all his stuff...he said that to "him"...Jesus wasn't saying for all of us to...but that particular guy was way attached so that message was specific to him...I. always thought anyway...so since the Gospel and Jesus' message is all over...I was thinking when someone talks about "the Good News" it is now "old hat news" and turns people off that they have to hear it again and again.

I figure being loving was the commandment...as Jesus was loving...feeding people, healing people, being compassionate and not judging the tax collector or adulterer...being kind like him and fast to forgive (think Peter)....

I teach people to follow what Jesus taught and it is the key to happiness here on earth...and even that bothers people sometimes...so I stop and remain happy consistently while they keep complaining and whining about this and that...so I just love them, as I was told to do...and as my heart tells me to anyway.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:59 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,019 times
Faith comes through the preaching of the word. It is good news, not old news. It can save a person today as it saved someone 2000 years ago. That this will bring problems is clear, so we have to be wise how to do it, love is an important factor the bible tells us.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:07 AM

I thought faith came from hearing the word...not to be knit picking....it's just
that is what I have heard and experienced, also.
Preaching it may or may not do much if there is no one receptive or even
turned off....I don't see that increasing faith, myself.
Sorry, don't mean to be a contrarian, bec I do get your point.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 AM

116 posts, read 546,431 times
Yes we are to tell people about Jesus even if they have heard it over and over, we just have to do it in love.
Also its not churches or pastors job to tell about Jesus but teach christian how to live their life. Its are job to tell the world the good news.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Many fail to realize that all of scripture, including the life of Christ, is a 'parable.' Just as God is timeless; the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, ... so are the principles of God. Thus, not only did everything happen exactly as written (with a local application), everything also has an equal universal application today (and in the future) ... if one knows how to see it.

Obviously, there were many OT and NT 'events' and people --that have not repeated themselves or do not exist today. Still, the principles, doctrine and instructions of Christ and God's Word are still as applicable to our lives today, as they were then. Perhaps that is why Jesus so often spoke in 'parables' (as a literary device). Everything with God is on a 'flat table.' Linear time, as we know it, is entirely for our benefit -- and not really a measure of 'eternal time.' We will do well to seek out and study God's timeless truths in His Word ... and then apply them to our lives. Those who say, ‘the Bible only applied to the ancients, … the Jews, … early Christians, …. Etc. – are only making excuses for their own failure to respond today.

Who else is available and able today to ‘spread the Gospel message … of Salvation by Grace through Faith in Jesus Christ’ except believers of every generation? Yes, we are to love God and our neighbors, but, how exactly are we to do that …. by simply having loving, warm thoughts toward others? Jesus said, “I have come that you may have life (eternal) and have it more abundantly (now)” … He later instructed His true disciples to “Go and spread the Gospel to all nations.” Loving God and our neighbors is about obeying God and sharing the life He offers with our neighbors.

It has been said that ‘Christianity is one generation away from extinction.’ If a generation of Christians ever decided that Christ’s instructions did not apply to they, Christianity would die out (Of course, that will not happen, but, by subscribing to the “someone else will do it” philosophy, Christians are doing their part to stamp out Christianity).

Last edited by jghorton; 06-05-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I thought faith came from hearing the word...not to be knit picking....it's just
that is what I have heard and experienced, also.
Preaching it may or may not do much if there is no one receptive or even
turned off....I don't see that increasing faith, myself.
Sorry, don't mean to be a contrarian, bec I do get your point.
If you take Rom 10: 14 you have a preacher and in verse 17 it says faith comes by hearing, you are right, I apologize. May come forth preachers like Paul that did not just speak words but the power of God was manifest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity