Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:22 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
So Judas was a part played by an actor on the stage...I knew that 40 yrs ago....good.
Exactly. No different from Pharaoh. As far back as Isaiah God said He would harden the hearts of His people that they would not turn and be saved from their wicked ways. This was necessary so that the gospel could come to the Gentiles. It couldn't have happened if God had not deadened the hearts of the Israelis to Jesus' message and then had Him crucified. There was no free will involved in any of this. It was God's plan in action and God's will, not ours, being exercised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 03:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No...just one God. He created everything, including Satan, and he has already judged Satan.
He is allowing Satan to run free for a time, but he will eventually be cast into hell.
For if you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy.
And then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them?
What else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves and then punish them!

~ Thomas More, Utopia

Old 06-08-2013, 03:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
How EXACTLY all of this fits together is known only to God. What I'm trying to convey is that God didn't just invent satan and then sit helplessly along the sidelines while satan rebelled. God is not out of control of His creation like that. God is not at the mercy of anyone's supposed "free will". No one has a free will. They do EXACTLY as God directs them to do. That's why Solomon says, "A man plans his steps (via "ability to choose") but the Lord directs his path (God's will to accomplish what He has determined is dominant over man's will to do as he likes) and Paul says, "God has bound us all over to disobedience so that He can have mercy on us all." There's no actual free will to choose evil over good in operation here while God nervously wrings His hands and says desparingly, "Oh woe is Me. Why do My children choose to do evil? It really distresses me?" God is in complete control of EVERY action we undertake and it works according to the grand cosmic plan He has mapped out from the beginning of time to its end.
Wow, you ARE on something and I want some ...it could just be raw veggies making your mind clear.
Bravo.
Thank you for taking the time to share your insights with us.

:bow:

Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 PM

207 posts, read 336,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
With respect.
I don't believe this for a second.You think satan, the personification by Christians of the lower ego self,
does not know our thoughts?
Why do u think this?
And thank you in advance....interesting, Maxwell.
The reason for speaking in tongues is so that Satan won't know what we're praying about. Only God knows, and anyone that can interprate. If Satan could read our thoughts praying in tongues would serve no purpose.

I don't believe it says in the bible that He can or can't do this, but it is what I believe.

I also believe that if He could read our mind, He would have left Job alone, and God wouldn't have let him have His way with him in the first place, because there would have been nothing to prove. He would of already known, what God knew about Job, if they were on an even playing field. If Satan could have read Jesus' mind, I believe He would have been completely against the atonement, which He would have seen coming.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
For if you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy.
And then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them?
What else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves and then punish them!

~ Thomas More, Utopia
Excellent.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Exactly. No different from Pharaoh. As far back as Isaiah God said He would harden the hearts of His people that they would not turn and be saved from their wicked ways. This was necessary so that the gospel could come to the Gentiles. It couldn't have happened if God had not deadened the hearts of the Israelis to Jesus' message and then had Him crucified. There was no free will involved in any of this. It was God's plan in action and God's will, not ours, being exercised.
Mouth dropped that you get this.....bow emoticon.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 PM

817 posts, read 739,564 times
Quote:
How EXACTLY all of this fits together is known only to God. What I'm trying to convey is that God didn't just invent satan and then sit helplessly along the sidelines while satan rebelled. God is not out of control of His creation like that. God is not at the mercy of anyone's supposed "free will". No one has a free will. They do EXACTLY as God directs them to do. That's why Solomon says, "A man plans his steps (via "ability to choose") but the Lord directs his path (God's will to accomplish what He has determined is dominant over man's will to do as he likes) and Paul says, "God has bound us all over to disobedience so that He can have mercy on us all." There's no actual free will to choose evil over good in operation here while God nervously wrings His hands and says desparingly, "Oh woe is Me. Why do My children choose to do evil? It really distresses me?" God is in complete control of EVERY action we undertake and it works according to the grand cosmic plan He has mapped out from the beginning of time to its end.
Well, it distressed Jesus. And he said at one point "if you love me then keep my word" or "if you love me then why do you not do what I say" or something to that effect.

I think this goes a little too far possibly, because, without *some* free-will element, is it really possible to have love? So then, according to your assessment, God plays this game with himself where he forces some to love him, and some not? That sounds a little masturbatory (pardon the reference) like God playing army men with himself or something.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:35 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
The old serpent nature is evil alright, but very subtle with it. He( the serpent nature)did a great job of causing us to believe in good and evil and think from it.

For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].

Unfortunately serpent minded(sin conscious) Christians want to talk about how evil we are, rather than pointing us to how wonderful God IS.

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

You see,Jesus pointed us to the way where we should think from, how much more our Heavenly Father is. Where sin abounds grace over abounds.

Last edited by pcamps; 06-08-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
The reason for speaking in tongues is so that Satan won't know what we're praying about. Only God knows, and anyone that can interprate. If Satan could read our thoughts praying in tongues would serve no purpose.

I don't believe it says in the bible that He can or can't do this, but it is what I believe.

I also believe that if He could read our mind, He would have left Job alone, and God wouldn't have let him have His way with him in the first place, because there would have been nothing to prove. He would of already known, what God knew about Job, if they were on an even playing field. If Satan could have read Jesus' mind, I believe He would have been completely against the atonement, which He would have seen coming.
Thank u, Maxwell,
I speak in tongues or pray in tongues regularly (and try to remind my siblings not to forget to...)

If "satan" didn't know my thoughts, tho....why does "he" say to me,
"The third piece of chocolate cake is FINE!!!"

"Go ahead have another Martini!!..."

"He" knows me in and out!!!!

(Ps...I haven't mentioned this...but "he" is under my thumb...and has been for years!

Old 06-08-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Well, it distressed Jesus. And he said at one point "if you love me then keep my word" or "if you love me then why do you not do what I say" or something to that effect.

I think this goes a little too far possibly, because, without *some* free-will element, is it really possible to have love? So then, according to your assessment, God plays this game with himself where he forces some to love him, and some not? That sounds a little masturbatory (pardon the reference) like God playing army men with himself or something.
Dah....and
Welcome, 2witnesses.

At first it shocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity