Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:09 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times

Advertisements

Seems that polygamy is probably goes against the commandment from Exodus 20:14..`You will not commit adultery`..... but there is no scripture other than that which comes close , still King David had a husband of a wife he stole killed in battle which was premeditated and God was blamed for taking the life of the child of the couple as the polygamy was blamed by God for the killing of the husband of the wife David stole , which shows that polygamy is a offense of selfish extremism , which is alien to God ..... Still there were 40 men reported to be polygamist in the Bible , most in the Old Testament as woman were devalued in those primitive days .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 05:13 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Deuteronomy 22 has God's take on the following...

Verses 13-21 - This deals with a man who lies with a woman that is not a virgin. Thru the legal mumbo jumbo, verse 21 confirms if the girl is not a virgin (i.e., married already in God's eyes) - she gets stoned to death.

Verse 22 - This deals with blatant adultery - a man who lies with a married woman.

What is not dealt with is a man with multiple virgins.

While God from a legislative vantage point is silent - men with multiple wives and children from multiple women usually encountered problems - jealousy between the women, squabbling among the kids. It is not recommended.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 AM

796 posts, read 858,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I wasn't aware that God ever tolerated anything He wasn't happy with.
Do you think God is happy with sin? I would say not wiping out the entire human race show's He tolerates it for a time.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 AM

796 posts, read 858,345 times
I know that there were governmental leaders who had more than on wife in scripture but does anyone know of any Priest or Apostle or preacher or deacon in scripture that had more than one wife? I know that in the church no church leader (bishop, deacon) can have more than one wife.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, in 2 Timothy, Paul advises clergy to have only one wife.
Chapter and verse, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSlave View Post
God is not happy with polygamy but tolerates it.
Which Biblical passage says that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I wasn't aware that God ever tolerated anything He wasn't happy with.
You wouldn't think so, Him being God and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not aware of anyone in the early church that had multiple wives. On the contrary, we are told to keep the marriage bed pure, and it is assumed a man would have 1 wife. Nowhere in the NT do we see any kind of reference to how a man should treat his wives...it's always how he should act toward his wife.
YOU can make an assumption if you want. The rest of us want a Biblical passage to support a statement like that.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
YOU can make an assumption if you want. The rest of us want a Biblical passage to support a statement like that.
Who?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Who?
Vizio said that "it is assumed a man would have 1 wife." I said the rest of us would prefer a Biblical quote to an assumption. I'll amend that to say "many of us would prefer ..." Of course, it is irrelevant. We'll never get a straight answer.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Jesus actually taught that it is better not to marry, and so did Paul.
Question is where is you devotion to the flesh or to God ?
If you are walking in an obedient relationship with God you should be seeking His tutelage through the Holy Spirit, Jesus provided His believers.
That obedience can render a realtionship of God's influence that is supirrior to men's opinion and better prep you for the future.
If you are merely looking for excuses to justify lust , the world will provide all you wish, and use the scriptures to do so.
Matthw 4; Satan was using/twisting scriptures to attempt to tempt Jesus .
Jesus love for the Father and His will ,dismantled those temptations.
Again, whom is it you love ? That is the area of support you'll be getting.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Jesus actually taught that it is better not to marry, and so did Paul.
Paul did, but only because of the persecutions and expected tribulation, where did Jesus teach that?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:02 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Do you think God is happy with sin? I would say not wiping out the entire human race show's He tolerates it for a time.
When you put it that way, I agree of course. But as it relates to the OP, God never once indicated to Abraham, for instance, that while He did not approve of his having more than one wife, He'd just turn a blind eye. This is something God does not do. He has always been pretty clear in telling people if they're doing something that displeases Him. You'll never find an instance of Him saying, "You know, I really would prefer that you not do that. But if you insist... I'll just let it go."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity