Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Personal experience?
Yes. After crossing myself three times, he was still coming after me. I had to run to my refrigerator and get garlic. Lucky I had some. The whole stake-through-the heart thing is SO messy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
That's what I meant by derogatory about keeping away vampires, ex husbands, ex wives, bratty kids, mean bosses, etc. The only time I've seen the cross made has been something funny like this. Not to judge, but I've seen Catholics do it and by the way they do it and by the way they live their lives, not wanting anything to even do with Jesus, seems like a joke and I think maybe that's where all the derogatory came from. (I'm not saying all Catholics are hypocritical, but the ones I've known and the way they were living, when I saw them make a cross like this, it was meant as a joke, or at least that's the way I took it.
Does this make sense? It just seems to be more of a joke to a lot of people and I'm guilty of making a joke out of it too, that is, until the other day at church, when the pastor did it and talked about it and now I'm beginning to understand.

LovesMountains, Yes I am enjoying my spiritual journey. This is all so new to me and I've probably never looked at the Bible all my life as much as I am now.

I appreciate and thank you all for your responses. For a bit of funny, I'm of Irish descent, I don't believe in vampires but I have been told the banshee stories when I was a kid. This should keep them away, although I will use it in a more serious manner now.

Heartsong, thanks for the link. I saw that the other night while researching. Interesting learning the meaning. I'm a leftie so it looks like I have to use my right hand.
OK, I made the vampire joke, but I do make the sign of the cross in church as an Episcopalian. Again, it's ceremonial, and the idea is that it's a way to incorporating your body/movement into the worship.

I haven't finished reading the posts that followed this one, so I'm sure that by now you already have been called out on your gratuitious offensiveness toward Catholic Christians, but I'd like to add my voice to theirs. Was there any real reason to say such things? It actually sound pretty stupid to say that Catholics don't want anything to do with Jesus.

By the way, writing "Not to judge" and then following it with a judgmental statement doesn't make the judgmental statement less judgmental. It's right up there with "No offense, but <insert offensive words>".

Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Mightyqueen, in no way did I mean to offend anyone. I think you are the only one that read more into what I am saying and added to it. Couldn't make it any plainer. This has been my experience is the reason I'm mentioning it.

I say 'not to judge' because I don't judge others. That's God's job, not mine.

I also did not say 'all Catholics'. I was talking about some of the Catholics I've known in my life. They don't want anything to do with living a godly life and they brag about it and then make a comment that all they need to do is go to confession. In case you don't know or in case anyone else has any questions, that's not the way it's supposed to be. I don't know every Catholic in the world so therefore, I can't say that about everyone of them but I can say that about some of them; not only Catholics either.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,696 times
The Sign of the Cross

Why Catholics make the sign of the cross

Old 06-12-2013, 05:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
That's what I meant by derogatory about keeping away vampires, ex husbands, ex wives, bratty kids, mean bosses, etc. The only time I've seen the cross made has been something funny like this. Not to judge, but I've seen Catholics do it and by the way they do it and by the way they live their lives, not wanting anything to even do with Jesus, seems like a joke and I think maybe that's where all the derogatory came from. (I'm not saying all Catholics are hypocritical, but the ones I've known and the way they were living, when I saw them make a cross like this, it was meant as a joke, or at least that's the way I took it.
Does this make sense? It just seems to be more of a joke to a lot of people and I'm guilty of making a joke out of it too, that is, until the other day at church, when the pastor did it and talked about it and now I'm beginning to understand.

LovesMountains, Yes I am enjoying my spiritual journey. This is all so new to me and I've probably never looked at the Bible all my life as much as I am now.

I appreciate and thank you all for your responses. For a bit of funny, I'm of Irish descent, I don't believe in vampires but I have been told the banshee stories when I was a kid. This should keep them away, although I will use it in a more serious manner now.

Heartsong, thanks for the link. I saw that the other night while researching. Interesting learning the meaning. I'm a leftie so it looks like I have to use my right hand.
And, yet, you decided to be judgmental. My word, I'm really at a loss to find any church that doesn't have its fair share of backsliders and hypocrites. Why in the world are you singling out the poor catholics? Because, by the sounds of it, you haven't gotten very far on your spiritual journey at all.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
And, yet, you decided to be judgmental. My word, I'm really at a loss to find any church that doesn't have its fair share of backsliders and hypocrites. Why in the world are you singling out the poor catholics? Because, by the sounds of it, you haven't gotten very far on your spiritual journey at all.
What part of it don't you understand? I said it as plain as day that I'm not judging anybody but that I have in mind some Catholics that don't take the symbol of the cross on their bodies seriously. In no way did I mean ALL Catholics are like this. Yes, all denominations have backsliders and hypocrites. We are human. The church, or I should say, Christians do not claim to be perfect. If you are looking for the perfect church, full of perfect people, you will never find it.
As far as the spiritual journey is concerned, I'm doing my best right now and that's all I can ask for. I'm making an effort.

Please go back and re read my posts. You will see that I make judgments on no person. I may make a comment but I don't judge. There is a big difference.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
What part of it don't you understand? I said it as plain as day that I'm not judging anybody but that I have in mind some Catholics that don't take the symbol of the cross on their bodies seriously. In no way did I mean ALL Catholics are like this. Yes, all denominations have backsliders and hypocrites. We are human. The church, or I should say, Christians do not claim to be perfect. If you are looking for the perfect church, full of perfect people, you will never find it.
As far as the spiritual journey is concerned, I'm doing my best right now and that's all I can ask for. I'm making an effort.

Please go back and re read my posts. You will see that I make judgments on no person. I may make a comment but I don't judge. There is a big difference.
Actually, I did. It's just that you're choosing to single out Catholics. What? You observed one or two people do it in jest?

Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Raised Baptist and was told all my life that making the sign of the cross on ones body is a Catholic thing and I've seen some use it in a derogatory way when in trouble.

I've been going to a Lutheran church the past couple of weeks. The regular pastor is away and a temp filled in yesterday. He talked about doing this. Like I've said, I thought it was a Catholic thing, so I've never given it much thought until yesterday. He mentioned it was a Christian thing and that all Christians should be doing this, mostly when getting out of bed in the morning and going to bed at night.

I think it's a pretty cool thing now that I've thought some about it and read a little today about how a person does their fingers for the Trinity. I enjoy hearing about the different meanings.

Is there any scripture that specifically talks about this?
Not to my knowledge is there a specific verse.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:43 PM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
alot of non-catholics have a hissy when one of their own does something that pretty much only Catholics
do. I like the practice for example, Catholics will make three crosses on thier body before the Gospel is read, one of their forehead, one on their lips and one of their heart. It means let the words of the Gospel be on my mind, lips and in my heart. I think the Episcopalians do it too. there is nothing "Roman Catholic" about it but mainly Christian in my opinion. I do it if I am in a protestant church and sometimes get dirty looks.

Quote:
Raised Baptist and was told all my life that making the sign of the cross on ones body is a Catholic thing and I've seen some use it in a derogatory way when in trouble.

I've been going to a Lutheran church the past couple of weeks. The regular pastor is away and a temp filled in yesterday. He talked about doing this. Like I've said, I thought it was a Catholic thing, so I've never given it much thought until yesterday. He mentioned it was a Christian thing and that all Christians should be doing this, mostly when getting out of bed in the morning and going to bed at night.

I think it's a pretty cool thing now that I've thought some about it and read a little today about how a person does their fingers for the Trinity. I enjoy hearing about the different meanings.

Is there any scripture that specifically talks about this?

Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
alot of non-catholics have a hissy when one of their own does something that pretty much only Catholics
do. I like the practice for example, Catholics will make three crosses on thier body before the Gospel is read, one of their forehead, one on their lips and one of their heart. It means let the words of the Gospel be on my mind, lips and in my heart. I think the Episcopalians do it too. there is nothing "Roman Catholic" about it but mainly Christian in my opinion. I do it if I am in a protestant church and sometimes get dirty looks.
It's a shame you get dirty looks when you do that but there are a lot of fake Christians in church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity