Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yes.
So this fruit that looked good and was desirable for gaining wisdom was actually a literal piece of fruit ?.

Do you honestly believe that by looking at a piece of literal fruit you can see wisdom written over it ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,378,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So this fruit that looked good and was desirable for gaining wisdom was actually a literal piece of fruit ?.

Do you honestly believe that by looking at a piece of literal fruit you can see wisdom written over it ?.
Well, God did tell Adam not to eat from the "tree of knowledge of good any evil" and they probably could have just figured out that out for themselves...not that I have much of a problem with this story being figurative or metaphorical.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Well, God did tell Adam not to eat from the "tree of knowledge of good any evil" and they probably could have just figured out that out for themselves...not that I have much of a problem with this story being figurative or metaphorical.
I agree they were told not too. Precisely what the tree is and its location I 100% disagree with the biblean literalists and inerrantists

That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers. Psalm 1

Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:

Here's me hiding behind scripture again...

Gen. 3:4-6
- The serpent said to the woman, "You surely will not die! "For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.

Looking at the fruit? No. Believing the schemes of the devil? Yes, that would be a cause.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Here's me hiding behind scripture again...

Gen. 3:4-6
- The serpent said to the woman, "You surely will not die! "For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.

Looking at the fruit? No. Believing the schemes of the devil? Yes, that would be a cause.
But it ain't literal food like you would go and buy at Stop & Shop that they ate. I'm amazed that any fundamentalist believes they ate literal fruit. Eating literal words out of the bible is blinding you.

But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. Christ removes the veil.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:

The serpent(who is not literal)was not lying or scheming about the some literal fruit hanging of some literal tree, he was lying and scheming about what God had said to Adam and Eve. There was no literal fruit that Adam and Eve looked at, considered eating and then decided why not what we got to lose.

The fruit that the serpent had them look at was a fruit that was desirable for gaining wisdom. The fruit was all that the serpent said it to be. Thank God that he never called the fruit an apple or an orange.

Last edited by pcamps; 06-20-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 03:58 PM

796 posts, read 858,267 times
Quote:
The serpent was not lying or scheming about the some literal fruit hanging of some literal tree, he was lying and scheming about what God had said to Adam and Eve. There was no literal fruit that Adam and Eve looked at, considered eating and then decided why not what we got to lose.

The fruit that the serpent had them look at was a fruit that was desirable for gaining wisdom. The fruit was all that the serpent said it to be. Thank God that he never called the fruit an apple or orange.
So you think God is a liar! God revealed the factual story about the event to man and had it written down so you could know the truth and you call God a liar. How dare you!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:59 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
But it ain't literal food like you would go and buy at Stop & Shop that they ate. I'm amazed that any fundamentalist believes they ate literal fruit. Eating literal words out of the bible is blinding you.

But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. Christ removes the veil.
There was a tree, fruit, and two people eating the fruit. Don't know what else you want. I have told to over and over - it's all about faith.

Blinding me to what? No one tells me what I am missing.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:12 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Just answer this...

If you say you are a believer, what is real that is in the Bible that you put your faith in?

EDIT: I can't totally let you off the hook. Who are the Fundamentalist corporate machine masters? Who programs us? These are your statements. Let's go - back them up.
Oh, gosh! Not that it will do either of us any good, but here goes:

I have said in other posts NUMEROUS times (not that you have read them---why would I suspect that ) that if someone reading the Bible takes away nothing else they should take away this:

that Jesus came to earth to die on the cross to pay the penalty for your sins and mine---for everyone's sins. That He arose from the dead so that we could also rise and have eternal life. As Paul said, if Jesus be not risen then eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die. Period.

Where you and I part company, Rob, that I believe that God will manage to save every last one of his children. Now you asked where do I get the 1%. From a hell-fire and damnation preacher who claims to have had a new-earth experience and saw 99% of humanity headed down to hell. Only 1% were on their way up and guess who was among the 1%--none other than the hell-fire and damnation preacher himself. Surprise!!!

The Fundamentalist corporate machine are the televangelists in power who run all the Christian media you see on TV, cable, and the radio. They control what gets on and what doesn't get on and they are 100% unanimously agreed that eternal torment is real. Now doesn't it strike you odd that polls show that only 59% of Americans believe in hell, compared with 74% who believe in heaven, according to the recent surveys from the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

Many Americans don't believe in hell, but what about pastors? - USATODAY.com

It's taken all I've got just to get this far. Hope that helps.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:27 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Not that I entirely agree with his approach or some of the things he's pointing out..but in the words of Kevin Spacey's Lex Luther...WRRONNG! ;p

It should be obvious from his posts that he is not trying to belittle ALL Christians or God...just the robots who never question anything in the mainstream.
THAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOU!!

Someone is listening. I am not belittling Christians in general nor am I belittling all Fundamentalists. How often do I have to say it before some of you start to catch on like Mystic and Jr have??

What I vehemently object to are Christians who blindly follow the "program" locked in place by the very powers you listed in your other post, Jr. --- the megaChurches, the TBN's, the Pat Roberson's who collude with each other on all the BIG issues, particularly tithing (it's a BIG sin that will send you to hell for all eternity if you don't tithe----no surprise there) and the validity of eternal torment (universalism is the greatest evil since satan tempted Adam & Eve) Funny enough, it's the ones who claim they are being attacked by me who attack and belittle those who do NOT follow the "program".

Now that's what is a real scream! "Yahhhhhh"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity