Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,902,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No one has stopped to consider this one overriding factor:

This is not to say that God didn't create us, just that with recent advances in mapping the human genome, it's clear beyond any doubt that unless God performed an extended "unnatural" miracle over many thousands of years--against all natural laws He laid down from the creation of the universe--there had to be more than two people involved in the creation of the human race. It would be impossible otherwise.

I don't really think that the same biblical literalists that came up with the concepts of light being created in transit and god planting dinosaur fossils in order to simulate an older universe are going to even care about a dispute between the human genome science and their religious fundamentalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 02:41 PM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times
Quote:
Indeed, physical death was around a lot earlier than when Adam & Eve were supposedly galavanting about in Eden. I don't have to mention all the remnants of primitive man dating back how many tens of thousands of years but here is the mummified remains of a man encased in ice in the Alps dated to 5300 BC. Adam supposedly was still alive at that time. Civilization would still have been localized around the Middle East. So how did this "offspring" of Adam and Eve get way up in the Alps?

I'll refrain from using Fundamentalists and say instead "traditionalists. How do traditionalists explain someone way up in the Alps while Adam was still alive, and puleeez don't throw out "when men began multiplying on the face of the earth". That happened much later according to the Biblical record. Men could not have reached from Iran to Switzerland in a mere 700 years. The simple truth is that man was already being born and dying long before Adam & Eve came onto the scene.

'Iceman' Mummy Holds World's Oldest Blood Cells | LiveScience
Faith in scientists. Faith in archaeologists.

No faith in God and what He provided. Got it.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 06-21-2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 02:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,832,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Faith in science and the scientific method, Faith in the same thing applied to archaeology and what can be known by it, faith in God and what he provided but none whatsoever on perceptions stifled by preconceptions of what that provision must be.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:06 PM

32,931 posts, read 26,160,446 times
Quote:
No scriptural support for the bold above.

Physical death first mentioned Gen. 3:19.
That's right. I didn't even think of that verse. It shows that physical death was a part of the judgment imposed by God as a part of Adam's sin. Spiritual death was immediate, and then physical death. In Adam's case, some 900 plus years later.

The issue is whether the Bible is believed or not. And many simply will not believe the Bible.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That's right. I didn't even think of that verse. It shows that physical death was a part of the judgment imposed by God as a part of Adam's sin. Spiritual death was immediate, and then physical death. In Adam's case, some 900 plus years later.

The issue is whether the Bible is believed or not. And many simply will not believe the Bible.
The issue is whether we listen to the Son in who He is well pleased. Why say it is whether the bible is believed or not( when the scriptures say no such thing)?. You believe in God believe also in me, learn of me( 2 quotes from Jesus that have no mention of having to believe the bible).

Old 06-21-2013, 03:32 PM

18,193 posts, read 16,778,496 times
Quote:

That's hardly an answer, Rob. Actually, what God provided ARE these discoveries, or didn't He? The fact that God is allowing all these discoveries to pop up, don't you think that maybe is God saying, "I want you to know these things."

Certainly if God didn't want us to make these discoveries He'd hide them from us, wouldn't He?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 PM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times
Quote:
That's hardly an answer, Rob. Actually, what God provided ARE these discoveries, or didn't He? The fact that God is allowing all these discoveries to pop up, don't you think that maybe is God saying, "I want you to know these things."

Certainly if God didn't want us to make these discoveries He'd hide them from us, wouldn't He?

It wasn't an answer. Some on here are tired of answers, so I just made a statement.

Let me re-post your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte
Indeed, physical death was around a lot earlier than when Adam & Eve were supposedly galavanting about in Eden. I don't have to mention all the remnants of primitive man dating back how many tens of thousands of years but here is the mummified remains of a man encased in ice in the Alps dated to 5300 BC. Adam supposedly was still alive at that time. Civilization would still have been localized around the Middle East. So how did this "offspring" of Adam and Eve get way up in the Alps?

I'll refrain from using Fundamentalists and say instead "traditionalists. How do traditionalists explain someone way up in the Alps while Adam was still alive, and puleeez don't throw out "when men began multiplying on the face of the earth". That happened much later according to the Biblical record. Men could not have reached from Iran to Switzerland in a mere 700 years. The simple truth is that man was already being born and dying long before Adam & Eve came onto the scene.
Do you understand how much faith it takes to believe what you just posted that's contrary to what God provided?

The blue above - Adam was alive at that time. How do you know?

You have to believe in the accuracy of men who have existed for 40-60 years that estimate these remains at thousands of years ago.

The red above - that's you saying forget what the Bible says - I will believe what I want to believe.

If I can trust in God bringing Christ back from the dead - I can believe God with regards to His account of Adam and Eve.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:27 PM

18,193 posts, read 16,778,496 times
Quote:
It wasn't an answer. Some on here are tired of answers, so I just made a statement.

Let me re-post your question.

Do you understand how much faith it takes to believe what you just posted that's contrary to what God provided?

The blue above - Adam was alive at that time. How do you know?

You have to believe in the accuracy of men who have existed for 40-60 years that estimate these remains at thousands of years ago.

The red above - that's you saying forget what the Bible says - I will believe what I want to believe.

If I can trust in God bringing Christ back from the dead - I can believe God with regards to His account of Adam and Eve.
okay. good enough. i capitulate.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,313,400 times
Quote:

Scientific principles are sound and it is through the scientific method that humankind has made discoveries and garnered knowledge of the world and universe around us, and will continue to do so. It is not accomplished through falling back on ancient texts written by desert tribespeople.

And as far as "what god provided"--to what god do you refer? Yahweh? Zeus? Thor? Ra? Vishnu? Cthulhu?

There is absolutely no more reason to believe in any of of these than there is to believe in another, regardless of whether or not there may be, in some form or fashion, somewhere in the cosmos or in some dimension, an ultimate "god" or "creator" of some kind.

Yahweh (patron deity of some sects of ancient Hebrews) is no more "real" than any of the others I mentioned, or hundreds and hundreds more. They are representations of human hopes, imaginings, explanations for natural events which the ancients coud not understand or explain. They are mythical, legendary, literary figures. Although I concede they ALL may be, in some way, reflections of some ultimate godhead.

Of course, nobody knows if this is the case or not.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM

472 posts, read 568,358 times
Quote:
Faith in scientists.
Science works. It enables us to explore Mars and cure diseases. It's not a matter of faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity