Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 PM

502 posts, read 985,913 times

Advertisements

So many churches I have been to do not encourage the congregation to make an effort to read the Holy Bible, JEHOVAH JIRAH'S HOLY WORD. It is like they preach, come to the service and let us teach you a verse, or story, Let us be the judge of what you are taught.... ( WRONG ! ) . Bretheren, I encourage you to read THE LIVING WORD FOR YOURSELF... Then after you have finished reading the whole HOLY BIBLE, there is a tremendous benefit to follow. God speaks to us through HIS WORD. I have done this 3 different years and still into reading and listening to it on audio format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
I can't count the number of times the preacher would be preaching on a passage or passages, and I and the group I was in would be seeing much more of His glory than the preacher was teaching on.

Bottom line: we all need to go on to know Him, and desire for Him (the Spirit of truth) to teach us - He will only testify of Himself, so we can trust Him to reveal the things of Christ in their unsearchable riches.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:13 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
All of the information we have about God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, heaven, hell and a thousand other truths of God .... comes from the Bible. We would not have the teachings of Christ without the Bible. The Bible is as much God's written Word as Jesus Christ is God's Living Word. The Bible is the foundation of truth for mankind. God's Word, the Bible, is the standard by which believers validate all of the world's claimed truth ... and also any other notion of truth that one believes they have.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (NKJV)

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

God's Word, Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ are the means God has provided for mankind to truly know Him. Those who deny God's Living Word and God's Written Word ... deny God.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Amen to all posts.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
So many churches I have been to do not encourage the congregation to make an effort to read the Holy Bible, JEHOVAH JIRAH'S HOLY WORD. It is like they preach, come to the service and let us teach you a verse, or story, Let us be the judge of what you are taught.... ( WRONG ! ) . Bretheren, I encourage you to read THE LIVING WORD FOR YOURSELF... Then after you have finished reading the whole HOLY BIBLE, there is a tremendous benefit to follow. God speaks to us through HIS WORD. I have done this 3 different years and still into reading and listening to it on audio format.
I would never go back to a church that did not encourage us the read God's Word.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:35 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
All of the information we have about God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, heaven, hell and a thousand other truths of God .... comes from the Bible. We would not have the teachings of Christ without the Bible. The Bible is as much God's written Word as Jesus Christ is God's Living Word. The Bible is the foundation of truth for mankind. God's Word, the Bible, is the standard by which believers validate all of the world's claimed truth ... and also any other notion of truth that one believes they have.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (NKJV)

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

God's Word, Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ are the means God has provided for mankind to truly know Him. Those who deny God's Living Word and God's Written Word ... deny God.
I must say that I too learned much from reading the Bible, so much that I am now an atheist. It became frustrating trying to make excuses for the inconsistencies, inaccuracies, and errors in the Bible, especially the Gospels. No god that I'm aware of would allow a book, one that would equate to be his biography, to be so confusing.
I too recommend reading the Bible as much as possible, especially Christians.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I must say that I too learned much from reading the Bible, so much that I am now an atheist. It became frustrating trying to make excuses for the inconsistencies, inaccuracies, and errors in the Bible, especially the Gospels. No god that I'm aware of would allow a book, one that would equate to be his biography, to be so confusing.
I too recommend reading the Bible as much as possible, especially Christians.
Do you think that the issue might be you instead of the Bible?

When stuff doesn't make sense - I just assume I am the problem because I trust in God and what is written instead of trusting in the little that I know.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
All of the information we have about God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, heaven, hell and a thousand other truths of God .... comes from the Bible.
Those who deny God's Living Word and God's Written Word ... deny God.
Actually, most of this comes from the minds of men.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Do you think that the issue might be you instead of the Bible?

When stuff doesn't make sense - I just assume I am the problem because I trust in God and what is written instead of trusting in the little that I know.
Its possible, but not likely. If I trusted what is written in the Bible, I would also need to trust that "if a=b and b=c, then b≠c", or "a≠a". Which of the resurrections stories do you trust? Which genealogy of Jesus do you trust? Do you trust that killing teenagers because they make fun of a bald man as just and/or moral? Do you trust that the Noah Ark story was possible? I'm sorry, I don't. I trust that I can come to logical conclusions when reading material and I do not condemn myself for not coming to the conclusions that the writer expects me to.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Its possible, but not likely. If I trusted what is written in the Bible, I would also need to trust that "if a=b and b=c, then b≠c", or "a≠a". Which of the resurrections stories do you trust? Which genealogy of Jesus do you trust? Do you trust that killing teenagers because they make fun of a bald man as just and/or moral? Do you trust that the Noah Ark story was possible? I'm sorry, I don't. I trust that I can come to logical conclusions when reading material and I do not condemn myself for not coming to the conclusions that the writer expects me to.
Do you have any issues with what Jesus taught ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity