Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
As far as I can see, the son doesn't get a mention in the first 3 translations .

Am I right Thrill ?. What do I win ?.
Actually, I posted a challenge in another thread, pcamps. Not sure if you're referring to that about 1 Corinthians. But here is the passage:

Quote:
3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas,[b] and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.
Can you spot the error in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 AM

Thank you June. Don't know how to message you personally. And your advice is well taken.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 AM

By the way, Mike555. I sincerely apologize for my earlier rash remarks. You serve a valuable function on these boards. I acknowledge that.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Actually, I posted a challenge in another thread, pcamps. Not sure if you're referring to that about 1 Corinthians. But here is the passage:

Can you spot the error in there?
You're seeing something I'm not thrill.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:25 PM

987 posts, read 1,118,736 times
The only possible mistake I see in that passage, Thrill, is that it says Christ appeared to Cephas (Peter) and then to the 12. Judas I believe killed himself before the resurrection. I don't think they chose Matthias before they knew of the resurrection.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:34 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
Quote:
Somebody please explain this to me:

Matthew 24:36

Now check out the SAME verse from three other translations:
The Son has to know because all things were given onto Him. Also, those that have the Father and the Son can therefore know also. For what reason would the Father keep it from Him?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:46 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
My point is that 50% of translations exempt Jesus from not knowing the Father's future plans. The other 50% include Him with the angels not knowing. So which is it? Does He know the day and hour or doesn't He?

Somewhere along the way in the early part of the Church the copiers apparently had a problem with Jesus displaying a lack of divinity in not knowing so they obviously deleted the phrase "nor the Son".

I'm shocked people find this of little or no relevance.

Lastly, my point is not to discredit the Bible, it's just to show that it is a unique book with flaws that the Fundies are absolutely unwilling to acknowledge.
Jesus knew ahead of time that He was supposed to die. That's in every translation.

Jesus knew ahead of time that after three says, the Father would raise Him from the dead. That's in every translation.

Jesus knew ahead of time that Peter would deny Him three times. That's in every translation.

Jesus knew ahead of time that His disciples would scatter amidst the persecution.

So all of the translations include those instances of Jesus knowing future plans. Your 50% number is flawed. Don't cause confusion with a minor translation issue that does not change the context of what is taking place.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You're seeing something I'm not thrill.
Scarlet got it right below in #18. They hadn't chosen Matthias until after Jesus ascended so how could Jesus have appeared to the "12". Judas was already dead so there was only "11".

Old 06-16-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Jesus knew ahead of time that He was supposed to die. That's in every translation.

Jesus knew ahead of time that after three says, the Father would raise Him from the dead. That's in every translation.

Jesus knew ahead of time that Peter would deny Him three times. That's in every translation.

Jesus knew ahead of time that His disciples would scatter amidst the persecution.

So all of the translations include those instances of Jesus knowing future plans. Your 50% number is flawed. Don't cause confusion with a minor translation issue that does not change the context of what is taking place.
Flawed??? Minor translation issue??

Read the translations below:

http://biblehub.com/matthew/24-36.htm

There are 20. About ten say He knew and the other 10 say He didn't.

I acknowledge Jesus knew many things beforehand. So why would He say He didn't assuming half of them are right? Some Bible scholar you'd make.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:19 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Flawed??? Minor translation issue??

Read the translations below:

Matthew 24:36 "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

There are 20. About ten say He knew and the other 10 say He didn't.

I acknowledge Jesus knew many things beforehand. So why would He say He didn't assuming half of them are right? Some Bible scholar you'd make.
I am not a Bible scholar. I have simple faith in God and the Bible. That's it. Without faith, it's impossible to please God.

What difference would either version have on the wider context?

By the way - here is the same question asked to Jesus later...

Acts 1:7

Last edited by DRob4JC; 06-17-2013 at 12:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity