Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,410,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Truly spiritual people who have such gifts would never dream of employing them in the service of earning money. They would have gainful employment and freely use their gifts for good. No truly enlightened soul could ever do otherwise.
The error in this thinking has been pointed out to you by a number of users before - so all I can do is repeat their points in my own words while borrowing heavily off them.

There is no reason at all to think the above is true. Let us assume for a moment that some people actually do have such "gifts" - an assumption I do not make as there is no evidence that they do but let us run with it for arguments sake - that in no way precludes them from financial gain from those gifts.

If I had such a gift for example I would want to use it on as many people as I could - to benefit the world - which means that if I was in "gainful employment" I would be wasting my time when I could otherwise be bettering the world.

As such the _best_ way for me to proceed is to dedicate my time full time to using those gifts and obtain money while doing so to facilitate all the things I require while doing so - such as eating, living, sheltering myself, and traveling to the people who need my services.

So no - the idea that a person with such gifts would automatically preclude financial gain using them is naive nonsense.

The converse is also nonsense. I have seen you in the past suggest that someone claiming to have such gifts and is NOT charging money can therefore be given more credibility. I think this is also naive for two reasons:

1) This does not mean they have a gift. THEY might just think they have one. Many people are deluded into thinking they have powers they do not.

2) Not all gain is financial. People can be claiming to have gifts for all kinds of other kinds of gains. Social. Sexual. Political. Or simple attention seeking disorders. The list is long but those examples suffice.

I think if you want to evaluate the claims of such people then evaluate the claims directly - not indirectly by observing how the people in question act or do not act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,644,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
From my observations Theresa Cuputo has a real spiritual gift.

I see nothing "demonic" about simply relaying messages of love and hope between this world and the next.

I'm sure others will disagree, lol.

I agree with you. I don't think that it's demonic and she does seem to have a gift.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,063,672 times
truly gifted people with the ability from God do not charge exhorbitant prices to pass their gift on---have met several in my lifetime---the two that were charging huge prices(did not pay them) admitted to me they were practicing within the realm of the occult)

two of the older ones that were also gifted had no fees but did accept donations to their community(they lived in a community of those with spiritual gifts and did follow a christian religion)

those were my experiences---btw--the rest i met were scammers and phonies---i lived near a spiritualist residential area in fla at one time

as to theresa---my own feeling--her "gift"--not from God

Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,370,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
truly gifted people with the ability from God do not charge exhorbitant prices to pass their gift on---have met several in my lifetime---the two that were charging huge prices(did not pay them) admitted to me they were practicing within the realm of the occult)

two of the older ones that were also gifted had no fees but did accept donations to their community(they lived in a community of those with spiritual gifts and did follow a christian religion)

those were my experiences---btw--the rest i met were scammers and phonies---i lived near a spiritualist residential area in fla at one time

as to theresa---my own feeling--her "gift"--not from God

I have never heard anything about what she charges. Can you share that info?

I do agree that plenty of shysters take advantage of the grieving this way, which is horrible and unconscionable.

But would you agree that if someone is truly gifted this way, and they literally spend all their days sincerely helping folks, that their time is worth something?

I mean, not everyone can afford to volunteer all their time - some people really do need to make a living.

Just wondering what you think

Old 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times
"While the Long Island Medium website and Theresa Caputo's website do not indicate official costs, reports suggest that a 30-minute session can cost around $400 if held locally." 3 Ways to Contact Long Island Medium - wikiHow

$400 for 30 minutes? I had no idea.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have never heard anything about what she charges. Can you share that info?

I do agree that plenty of shysters take advantage of the grieving this way, which is horrible and unconscionable.

But would you agree that if someone is truly gifted this way, and they literally spend all their days sincerely helping folks, that their time is worth something?

I mean, not everyone can afford to volunteer all their time - some people really do need to make a living.

Just wondering what you think
I know you weren't asking me, but I thought this woman had a good point:

"It's sad that there are so many people who feel that they cannot know peace without somehow contacting dead loved ones, but it's even sadder that many of them accept the idea that afterlife communication comes at a price. Apparently Caputo charges around $400 for 30 minutes. If you really believe she is hearing and seeing your dead grandfather, maybe it's worth it. If you think of her as a very intuitive grief counselor, she's overpriced. If she's a shotgunner and a cold reader, the cost is a ripoff. There's no charge involved if you go sit by a headstone in a cemetery and talk your feelings through.

The things Caputo usually tells people — don't be sad, embrace life, know that the person who has passed is with you — are the kind of things anyone might say to a grieving person. "

Super Sad and Misguided Emails Intended for the Long Island Medium

Old 06-21-2013, 12:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,370,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I know you weren't asking me, but I thought this woman had a good point:

"It's sad that there are so many people who feel that they cannot know peace without somehow contacting dead loved ones, but it's even sadder that many of them accept the idea that afterlife communication comes at a price. Apparently Caputo charges around $400 for 30 minutes. If you really believe she is hearing and seeing your dead grandfather, maybe it's worth it. If you think of her as a very intuitive grief counselor, she's overpriced. If she's a shotgunner and a cold reader, the cost is a ripoff. There's no charge involved if you go sit by a headstone in a cemetery and talk your feelings through.

The things Caputo usually tells people — don't be sad, embrace life, know that the person who has passed is with you — are the kind of things anyone might say to a grieving person. "

Super Sad and Misguided Emails Intended for the Long Island Medium
Actually, when I've seen the program she seems to read people everywhere she goes.

In fact, one of the complaints I remember her family having about her is that she can't seem to turn herself "off" - she is always at any time getting messages.

Yes, she apparently schedules individual meetings with folks that I'm not surprised she charges for.

But she also is seen going up to strangers in restaurants, bakeries, dress shops, at the hair-dressers etc and just striking up a conversation to deliver a message of peace. I guess it's possible she then hits them up for some kind of fee, but I haven't heard that about her or seen it anywhere.

And she doesn't just seem to say "don't be sad, embrace life, know that the person who has passed is with you" - she gives very specific details about the persons actual death and says things that those she has read claim to not be public knowledge.

Like I said, I know there are shysters out there, probably more than those actually gifted in this way, but that doesn't mean she's not for real. Unless or until I learn more damning evidence against her I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:25 PM

505 posts, read 572,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
There are quite a few things in the OT that I wouldn't take too much to heart, personally.

While it's true the New Testament did away with bunches of the Old, I'm quite positive trafficking with demons wasn't one of them.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
While it's true the New Testament did away with bunches of the Old, I'm quite positive trafficking with demons wasn't one of them.
As I've explained, I don't believe that is what is taking place.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
One of my beloved great-grandmothers read my tea leaves and cards regularly once I reached my teens.

She would gravely lay the cards out (or regard the leaves at the bottom of my cup) and do a little counting as she touched the laid-out cards, or regarded the arrangement of leaves..."'tree...(did I mention she was Ukrainian and had some issues with English?)...six...nine."

At "nine" she would always pause, and peer at me intently over her glasses.

"You're too hendy-dependy."

"Yes, Baba.

(Hendy-dependy, was, of course "independent." Apparently, my beloved Baba foresaw that my hendy-dependyness would result in problematic issues. In this, she was entirely correct.)

"You think too much. Don't think too much."

"Yes, Baba. I won't, Baba."

She knew I couldn't help it.

She died in the late 70's when I was in my eternal-and-everlasting 20's.

I grieved her absence then and miss her deeply to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity