Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Your little digs aside.....

They go to church 3 times in 18 months. That doesn't really tell me that they believe very strongly or have any desire to do what God wants of them.
Is it possible the services were less than inspiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 05:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Your little digs aside.....
What dig?

You preach against pre-marital sex (you've done it here) and they obviously engage in it. Why they'd pick a pastor - any pastor - who thinks they've committed a sin to dedicate their child is...... a mystery. Lots of choices. LOTS of pastors in this country.

Lol, Anyone with a credit card and internet access can become a pastor.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm a CCD teacher as well, and like you I am SO surprised to see some of the things my students' parents follow. A couple mentioned birth control openly at church and others are divorced or even living with someone and not married. My last priest refused to baptize this baby until his unwed parents got married.

I am so tired of hearing the anti Catholic rhetoric here and other sites. Yes there have been pedophile priests, but there have been pedophile ministers, rabbis, etc. Years ago on To Catch A Predator there was a rabbi looking for underage boys. Tyler Perry was on Oprah talking about a minister who sexually abused him as a boy. Yet only Catholic priests molest? Not to mention the fact is MOST priests wouldn't think of doing this.
wish i could rep you good comments

Old 06-28-2013, 07:36 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My last priest refused to baptize this baby until his unwed parents got married.

What happens if the baby isn't baptized?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What dig?

You preach against pre-marital sex (you've done it here) and they obviously engage in it. Why they'd pick a pastor - any pastor - who thinks they've committed a sin to dedicate their child is...... a mystery. Lots of choices. LOTS of pastors in this country.

Lol, Anyone with a credit card and internet access can become a pastor.
They picked me because at the time i was the part-time preacher. The father of the child is friends with a member of the church. I showed up one Sunday morning and they told me a couple wanted to dedicate the child. I didnt really feel like i had a choice. I was later placed full time here. If a couple wants to come to me now for a dedication i will sit down with them and ask them why, and what it means to them. I will encourage them to become active in attending, and not just the one Sunday they want their kid dedicated.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Is it possible the services were less than inspiring?
Oh very much.

I dont pretend to be a great preacher....but I, getting better. I think.

Seriously....I dont fault a non Christian for not coming to church. I have no reason to believe the couple are Christians....their lives just don't show it.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:12 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Educate? Would you like me to list the Catholic schools in my area that were closed down (good schools educating poor, minority students) because the Church had to pay out MILLIONS of dollars to rape and molestation victims? One school was at a church where the priest had been molesting women for decades. He retired, BTW. He wasn't punished. He, like many other priests, should be in jail AND ejected from the church.

Let us know if Father Pavone goes after all those priests and tells them to renounce Catholicism.
Fr. Pavone is head of "Priests for Life" and I know he has his hands full with that ministry. There are many Bishops whose job it is to adress those problems. It's the Bishop's job anyway.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I agree with the sentiment expressed, 'You are either Catholic or you are not', which is to say, if you don't follow the teachings and doctrine of the church and the pope, you shouldn't go around calling yourself Catholic and taking communion.

That said, I think that priest should clean out their own ranks before going after the laity.
The steadfast laity have been speaking up for the Church to do something for a long time about this and are delighted something is happening now.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
I find a priest refusing to baptize an innocent child because his parents weren't married absolutely, breathtakingly appalling.

Does Speaker Pelosi know about this? I'm beginning to wonder why she would want to BE a Catholic.
Perhaps the parents will now start to think what they are doing, let's hope so. I would like to get the priest's side of the situation though.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:43 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
She is an accessory.

Did you accuse all those in the Bush/Cheney administration of crimes against humanity for all the blood they spilled by choosing to go to War in Iraq without a cause? I doubt it.

Also, why is it that the Old Testament God supposedly told his people to kill everyone including children and dash children against rocks? Please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity