Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:33 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned quote and response

In general, I believe people associate the term "religion" with a group, not an individual. I know I do. Further, I believe most people associate it with specific rituals and observances and doctrines ABOUT God and how one must relate to and approach God. That, I believe, is what lucknow was addressing. People can believe in God without any of those things.

Can you forget about definitions for a second and agree with that, or at least acknowledge that you understand the point?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-10-2013 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,529,879 times
The motto in a church I used to attend was, "From religion to faith". Faith in Christ and what he has done for you is very different than religion. A person can be religious about taking a bath every day at 5 pm. "He religiously takes that bath every day". Churches are filled with "religious" people who have no faith, are not saved or regenerated but religiously attend every Sunday. We had a desire for these people by the power of God to move from their religion to faith. Many did, Praise the Lord.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,434,996 times
Thread is reopened after deleting many posts for various TOS violations.
Please report any personal attacks, insults and off topic chats.

Thanks kids.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-10-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
In general, I believe people associate the term "religion" with a group, not an individual. I know I do. Further, I believe most people associate it with specific rituals and observances and doctrines ABOUT God and how one must relate to and approach God.
It's a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices, generally agreed upon by a number of persons.

Quote:
People can believe in God without any of those things.
True.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:44 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,396,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The motto in a church I used to attend was, "From religion to faith". Faith in Christ and what he has done for you is very different than religion. A person can be religious about taking a bath every day at 5 pm. "He religiously takes that bath every day". Churches are filled with "religious" people who have no faith, are not saved or regenerated but religiously attend every Sunday. We had a desire for these people by the power of God to move from their religion to faith. Many did, Praise the Lord.
I agree with you wholeheartedly because of the fact that a person is in a sad state if he or she thinks that his or religion can leap frog over what Jesus did for all of us. It's not about the religion; religion is just a practice. It's ALL ABOUT JESUS AND WHAT JESUS HAS DONE FOR THE WORLD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity