Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

I thought they were Catholic light but I'm watching this gay marriage nonsense and I see they were ringing bells for gay marriage. The woman leading the church looks like a lesbian. Is this now a gay church? What type of perversions of the Bible are they using to justify this nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 04:40 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Yes, they have caved to secularists. Many of their members, as well as their priests, are now leaving them and joining the Catholic Church.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Yes, they have caved to secularists. Many of their members, as well as their priests, are now leaving them and joining the Catholic Church.
Kind of jarring seeing the main DC cathedral chiming bells in celebration of the elevation of sin. Quite bizarre.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
They seem to be going in lots of different directions, but few seem to be sticking with the Episcopal Church.

Funny little detail: When we moved into the town we're in, there was a rusty old sign hanging from a fence-post -- all overgrown with scrub-brush -- in our front yard. It looked a lot like this acually:

There is no Episcopal Church in our town anymore. Hasn't been for quite awhile actually. Mercifully, we took that poor old rusty sign down.

The fate of the Episcopal Church in the USA is not unique from what I've seen. Every religion that caves so thoroughly to political correctness seems to share the same fate: They're all gradually dying out.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
They aren't Catholic liight, they are Christian not. They left Christianity long ago and will soon be in the dustbin of history.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I thought they were Catholic light but I'm watching this gay marriage nonsense and I see they were ringing bells for gay marriage. The woman leading the church looks like a lesbian. Is this now a gay church? What type of perversions of the Bible are they using to justify this nonsense?
I am Episcopalian. I am not gay, and neither are most Episcopalians. We use the "perversions" of "Love God and Love One Another" as the basis for what we believe. We realize that many of you do not agree with this guideline, as evidenced by your post, but we believe that Jesus is who we should look to primarily for guidance, and that's what he said to do. We welcome gay Christians to worship with us, and individual churches may elect to do a "blessing of the union" of a gay couple. They have to run it past their diocesan bishop first. We really don't tend to obsess over people's sexual lives but rather concern ourselves with spiritual matters and social justice.

My priest was once a Catholic priest. He isn't gay, either. He is married, however.

Katharine Jefferts Schori, the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, is married to a man and they have a daughter. For the record, I personally am not necessarily a fan of hers, but unlike the Catholic or Mormon Churches or other Protestant churches, the head of our church is not a position of authority and power. The laity is considered first to be what the church is.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
They aren't Catholic light, they are Christian not. They left Christianity long ago and will soon be in the dustbin of history.
I think they are quite Christian actually. The current Episcopal Church isn't tremendously different than most Protestant faiths. Protestant religions tend to change and evolve rapidly over time. Take any other sect and go back a hundred years or so and you'll barely recognize that it is the same religion. As far as gay marriage goes, look here and you'll find they are certainly not alone nor are they the most liberal religion on this matter.

There are multiple former Episcopal Church members in the congregation I attend. All of them cite the acceptance of homosexuality as a big part of why they left and went searching for another religion. Clearly the pro-gay agenda rubbed some people the wrong way. They are still the 14th largest Christian denomination in the USA, but currently they seem to be shrinking. That is their current crisis and they are very aware of it. Maybe they right the ship in the next few years. Who knows?

Any Christian religion dying out is sad and certainly no cause for celebration. Too many are shrinking. Too many people are losing their faith. I was by no means giddy when I took down that battered rusty old sign. It made me sad actually.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

There is no Episcopal Church in our town anymore. Hasn't been for quite awhile actually. Mercifully, we took that poor old rusty sign down.

The fate of the Episcopal Church in the USA is not unique from what I've seen. Every religion that caves so thoroughly to political correctness seems to share the same fate: They're all gradually dying out.
Lol, if we're going with anecdotal evidence I can tell you there is a brand, spanking new Episcopal Church in my very small town. It sits on a HUGELY expensive piece of real estate and it's parishioners are mostly extremely rich Republicans. There are a LOT of churches in my area from which to choose. These people wanted that church.

I'll have to sit in on a service sometime and see if they're some freaky brand of liberal Republicans. But, considering how they vote, all signs point to No.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:21 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
I guess it depends on the church and what the members will tolerate. A lot of Episcopalians now let gays marry and women be priests, even lesbians be priests, etc. All goes against the gospel---sorry but God wanted it that way.

Many are leaving for those reasons and going to other churches. If you want to be a church then you will have to follow God's word, if not, then form a club. Many want to go to church not a club.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Lol, if we're going with anecdotal evidence I can tell you there is a brand, spanking new Episcopal Church in my very small town. It sits on a HUGELY expensive piece of real estate and it's parishioners are mostly extremely rich Republicans. There are a LOT of churches in my area from which to choose. These people wanted that church.

I'll have to sit in on a service sometime and see if they're some freaky brand of liberal Republicans. But, considering how they vote, all signs point to No.

Interesting. It is about time gays got equal rights under the law. The U.S. is not a theocracy. We do not legislate religious views nor is our system of government base on the bible and its myriad of interpretations. Why are so many people ignorant about this? Lack of education, perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity