Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 AM

13 posts, read 8,928 times

Advertisements

I've often found in other churches the most of the time the ministers don't know themselves. A lot of pastors will play on the emotions of the members because they are uneducated in Scripture and use that emotional hype for a bigger collection for offering. The biggest mistake of Christianity is they don't "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth(2Tim 2;15)."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,761,879 times
Notably, the pejorative nature of your title seems to mostly attract those who typically discount the Bible and the majority of religious teaching, in order to support their own non-scriptural positions. Instead of critical thinking, they gleefully bash the Bible and all denominations, ... based on a few anecdotal exceptions. That is truly an example of 'parking one's brain at the door.'

Last edited by jghorton; 07-08-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 07-08-2013, 05:45 PM

796 posts, read 854,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
If you believe today's Roman Catholic Church even remotely resembles the beliefs and values of the early Christians, then you don't know much about the history of Christianity.
So true. The church Jesus built in Jerusalem spread and someone plated a local church in Rome. That church remained true to the gospel but just as so many others did it strayed and became apostate and by the time the Roman government decided to take it over and make it their state religion it was not a part of Christ church any longer. Sadly it has remained that way even until now. I don't think they will ever embrace Jesus Christ again.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:00 PM

889 posts, read 820,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
If you believe today's Roman Catholic Church even remotely resembles the beliefs and values of the early Christians, then you don't know much about the history of Christianity.
Are you saying that the Catholic Church doesn't resemble what the Early Church Fathers believed? What do you think they believed?

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=620968

Do you think there is a protestant church that has a set of beliefs that is closer to the Early Church Fathers?

Please site some sources.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Catholic Christians check their brain at the door - Few question anything. If you ask the average Catholic - What is the immaculate conception - they will say it is the conception of Jesus Christ. A simple dictionary will tell you it is the conception of Mary his mother. I am sure that church authorities know that most of their members think this- Yet they never correct them. They just let them go on their merry way thinking the wrong things.

You have to have basic knowledge of the history of Christianity to understand it. I really believe few understand Christianity. If they understood it Christianity would have had a stronger and better effect on the world. For some reason the faith is backwards and myth contained in Christianity is more popular that the reality of the mindset.
I am not talking about ignorant Catholics. I mentioned that, but you choose to ignore because you want to start spewing your rhetoric. I said there are churches who intentionally tell you not to investigate or ask questions, hence check your brain at the door.

Geez.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
So true. The church Jesus built in Jerusalem spread and someone plated a local church in Rome. That church remained true to the gospel but just as so many others did it strayed and became apostate and by the time the Roman government decided to take it over and make it their state religion it was not a part of Christ church any longer. Sadly it has remained that way even until now. I don't think they will ever embrace Jesus Christ again.
Horse pile. Peter was the rock the church was built on. That's in the Bible twice. The first of among the Holy Sees was in Rome where is exactly where it should have been and is. Ignatius certainly knew that in ~190 A.D. If the Rome church fell, then your Bible is total horse pile too and Jesus is a liar and therefore not the Messiah.

Now you might be orthodox to believe what you believe because that helps your cause, but the truth is if the Church fell in Rome, then the Church simply fell and the one in Jerusalem fell right along with it.

This is why I always say that I understand atheists more than I understand non-Catholic Christians that reject His own Church.

Pride maybe. Ignorance maybe. Well, be humble and consider yourself now educated.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,848,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Horse pile. Peter was the rock the church was built on.
I like that term. It applies to the lie that the Roman Organizations has been peddling for about 1200 years if I recall correctly. This has been covered elsewhere, but please explain why in the "rock" citation two different genders were given for "rock" if two different "rocks" were not meant.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 PM

796 posts, read 854,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I like that term. It applies to the lie that the Roman Organizations has been peddling for about 1200 years if I recall correctly. This has been covered elsewhere, but please explain why in the "rock" citation two different genders were given for "rock" if two different "rocks" were not meant.
And why they reject the church that Jesus Christ founded in Jerusalem and think the church started later and never lead by Peter somehow was first?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,889,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverofChrist214 View Post
I've often found in other churches the most of the time the ministers don't know themselves. A lot of pastors will play on the emotions of the members because they are uneducated in Scripture and use that emotional hype for a bigger collection for offering. The biggest mistake of Christianity is they don't "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth(2Tim 2;15)."

And when that was penned what and where do you think that Truth was?....

Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,117,918 times
There are those people that never outgrow the need for Mommy and Daddy to tell them what to do. The Church, in all it's different forms, takes over and guides these people. They never question. Mommy and Daddy said so....so it must be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity