Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
'For the first time, I was convicted of my sin in a way that made me consider everything I loved (idolized), and its consequences.
And amazingly, at the same time that the penalty of my sin became true to me, so did the preciousness of the cross. [/i]

It's not by accident that it's more than just one type of sexual immorality that God condemns. The controversy is not that one is only being singled out ... the controversy are the apologists of sexual immorality of homosexuality.

You think it an issue about " what they don't like or supports what they want." ... no. The issue is unbelievers and people who are rejecting what God says by their wanton blindness. As long as they insist on calling perversion "good" ... they will hear the law. And if they should come to the knowledge of the truth as like the writer of the letter did, then they should hear the balm of the gospel.

That's what Jesus did ... he preached repentance first by focusing on what separates people from God, namely their sin.
The writer clearly has been indoctrinated concerning her "sin," and there are many people who have come to acknowledge "the preciousness of the cross" without thinking that their love was sin. All you are saying is "God said it" when it is not clear that God's spokesperson was addressing other than profligate behavior and you are avoiding addressing the issue of what "consequences in their body" or even socially a committed relationship would have (other than the prejudice of the indoctrinated).

Why is a loving same-sex relationship wrong? What keeps "all things are lawful to me, not all things are expedient" from being applied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Loving the same sex is beautiful - lusting for the same sex is questionable...attempting or have some sort of form of sex with the same sex might not be love but just selfish usery.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Here is what I tell young people who insist they are in love....If your penis disappeared and her vagina vanished- Would you still want to be together? Same can be said for lesbians...There is nothing wrong with deep love for another human being - even of the same sex. Lesbians - I wonder - would they stay together if they were rendered sexless? There is love...and there is self satisfaction through physical pleasure...They are two different things.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Here is what I tell young people who insist they are in love....If your penis disappeared and her vagina vanished- Would you still want to be together? Same can be said for lesbians...There is nothing wrong with deep love for another human being - even of the same sex. Lesbians - I wonder - would they stay together if they were rendered sexless? There is love...and there is self satisfaction through physical pleasure...They are two different things.
great post--wish i could rep you!

Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 AM

796 posts, read 858,761 times
Quote:
That is a very logical way of getting people to look at reality. Really what is going on is people do not want equal rights for 2 men who love each other or 2 women who love each other but rather they want special rights for those who choose to have unnatural sex. It's not about love at all. It's about having their sin recognized and rewarded.

I have a friend that I love. He and I have been close since childhood and even though we live apart and don't see each other very often, I know if I called him for help today he would be here. Why can't we be recognized like a married man and woman by the law? Just because we don't engage in sex with each other? Where is the fairness in that?

Marriage is a sacred estate that God gave for a man and woman to become one. The state has no real say in the matter. All the state does is allow 2 people to become joined in a legal union (just like a business partnership) for a limited amount of time. Either until they choose to end that partnership of one of them dies.

I would consider having my marriage partnership license the state gave us revoked should our state ever offer that to people of the same sex or ever recognize the same. My marriage is not something the state has any say so over anyway. It is between God, my wife and myself. Even the state recognizes such marriages that never ask the state for a license. It's not a needed thing.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
I actually agree with you, but I think I come to a different conclusion. For me one of the most beautiful things I have seen was in TN, at Ruby Falls. My wife and I were taking the cave tour, and there were two older ladies, probably in their late 70's or early 80's taking the tour as well. They were struggling to do all the stairs, and helping each other along as they were just thrilled to see the cave. At first we just assumed they were friends or relative ( My mom and aunt do these sorts of trips together as a girl's weekend out), but as we talked we realized they were a couple. They were not strident about it or pushy, but they did not go out of their way to hide it. They had been together over 35 years, through surgeries, job losses, children getting married, divorced, and having grandchildren. They had stuck with each other through thick and thin, even when their neighbors and community were disapproving, or even treated them harshly.

These women clearly loved each other very deeply, and were committed to each other. They had this deep love for each other. Their union was clearly no less founded on a deep and aiding love than any heterosexual union. This, more than the marches, more than speeches, more than anything else has convinced me that there should be no legal distinction between a heterosexual marriage and a homosexual one. To me the growing old together, the lifelong partnership thought good and bad is the heart of a marriage, and if these two old women can be so beautifully in love with each other, it tells me that there is no reason they should be discriminated against.

-NoCapo

Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
True ... I haven't read it with the intentions of being friends of worldly wisdom where unrestrained tolerance prevails, in which everyone’s beliefs, lifestyle, and values are basically considered equal and equally valid.

God declared that homosexuality is in fact idolatry Colossians 3:5 ,1 Peter 4:3 and as the writer of letter pointed out
'For the first time, I was convicted of my sin in a way that made me consider everything I loved (idolized), and its consequences.
I looked at my life, and saw that I had been in love with everything except God,
My eyes were opened, and I began to believe everything God says in his word.
I began to believe that what he says about sin, death and hell were completely true. ' "'

that it is only via the correct context of scriptures where one does what the writer of the letter will do.

I'm not sure where my interpretation is one of unrestrained tolerance, etc. I'm taking it from scripture.

My guess is that you believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. That means that the entire Bible is correct, and you cannot simply ignore the parts you don't like. That seems to be what you're doing, however. It probably bothers you to hear that the Bible says you deserve the same condemnation as homosexuals, idolaters, and the like. But that's exactly what is written. Many Christians have no problem going after the gays, often in unloving and unbiblical ways, but make excuse after excuse for their own arrogance, greed, and inhospitality. Using random Bible verses out of context isn't going to help, either (recall that the devil used Scripture to tempt Jesus in the wilderness.) Only by reading the Word of God in a truly godly mindset will enable you to see the truth.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
I set with them and hold their hand and share the love of Jesus with them.

Ever go to the movies with them? Out to eat? Have a gay buddy over for a game of poker because he's one of the guys? Or do they just get your attention when you decide their souls need saving?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:29 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The writer clearly has been indoctrinated concerning her "sin," and there are many people who have come to acknowledge "the preciousness of the cross" without thinking that their love was sin. All you are saying is "God said it" when it is not clear that God's spokesperson was addressing other than profligate behavior and you are avoiding addressing the issue of what "consequences in their body" or even socially a committed relationship would have (other than the prejudice of the indoctrinated).

Why is a loving same-sex relationship wrong? What keeps "all things are lawful to me, not all things are expedient" from being applied?
indoctrinated .... lol.

What keeps "all things are lawful to me, not all things are expedient" from being applied?

A:[1] context ...
A: [2] other scriptures

Old 07-07-2013, 02:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I'm not sure where my interpretation is one of unrestrained tolerance, etc. I'm taking it from scripture.

My guess is that you believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. That means that the entire Bible is correct, and you cannot simply ignore the parts you don't like. That seems to be what you're doing, however. It probably bothers you to hear that the Bible says you deserve the same condemnation as homosexuals, idolaters, and the like. But that's exactly what is written. Many Christians have no problem going after the gays, often in unloving and unbiblical ways, but make excuse after excuse for their own arrogance, greed, and inhospitality. Using random Bible verses out of context isn't going to help, either (recall that the devil used Scripture to tempt Jesus in the wilderness.) Only by reading the Word of God in a truly godly mindset will enable you to see the truth.
I'm not ignoring anything ... just keeping to the topic and categorically rejecting those who are here with the intentions of being friends of worldly wisdom where in which everyone’s beliefs, lifestyle, and values are basically considered equal and equally valid.

So what they attempt to do is to legitamate what God decrees as detestable by making it equilevent to the sanctity of marriage which God reserves between man and wife ... relations that are meant to "keep the marriage bed pure".

------------------------------------------
Many Christians have no problem going after the gays, often in unloving and unbiblical ways, but make excuse after excuse for their own arrogance, greed, and inhospitality.
Well, I suppose you're basing that on solely non-judgmental opinion. So it would be non-judgemental to also say that many unbelievers take your line of argument to attempt to intimade those who call sin a "sin" .. for the simple reason to justify their immorality and\or unbelief.

With that out of the way, ditto "the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. That means that the entire Bible is correct, and you cannot simply ignore the parts you don't like."

Scriptures commands for us to admonish and discipline others, identify and expose deeds of darkness, discipline and restore others caught in a sin, and make personal effort to win back the erring, and “snatch them from the fire” or rescue them from destruction. (See Matthew 18:15-16, Galatians 6:1, Ephesians 5:11, Colossians 3:16, and Jude 23, in their contexts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity