Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 AM

796 posts, read 853,929 times

Advertisements

Well this is what God has to say on the subject.

Leviticus 18:22
"Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin." (NLT)

Leviticus 20:13
"If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense." (NLT)

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people-none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (NLT)

1 Timothy 1:8-10
Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine ... (ESV)

God say's homosexuality is a sin. Only by rejecting God can you claim other wise. Who will accept God and His Son Jesus Christ in this matter must accept what They have said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned

BTW, the second link I gave to the exact same article was from a College associated with the Methodist Church - "The College embodies the spirit of John Wesley, founder of the Methodist tradition, in its emphases on scholarly inquiry, academic freedom, and spiritual growth". I guess that's not your thing either?

And here is yet another link to the same article from the book. The editor is Robert L. Brawley -Professor Emeritus of New Testament at McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago, Illinois.

Biblical Ethics and Homosexuality: Listening to Scripture - Google Books
I did only what the enlightened give themselves the right to do ... called a spade a spade.

Since Jesus said that true spokesmen of the truth from God "workers" are few and many false teachers have gone out, it's not surprising that you can go from one false teacher that calls satanical vomit tasty to another.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-15-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Very well said. Anyone who calls God a liar (does not accept what He said about the sin of homosexual acts) is not of God.
It's called being obvious:

Galatians 5:19-20
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions,
factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.
I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 5:24 The sins of some are obvious, reaching the place of judgment ahead of them; the sins of others trail behind them.
And what does God chain together ... much to the howling of dogs?
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.

That is why the writer of the letter admits:
For the first time, I was convicted of my sin in a way that made me consider everything I loved (idolized), and its consequences.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,832,457 times
twin.spin and balunman,
Please note that the justifications for your perceptions have been shown to be bad translations (or in the case of one, inclusion in a list that is largely disregarded by Christians today). You have not addressed those points. Your own perceptions are another matter.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
twin.spin and balunman,
Please note that the justifications for your perceptions have been shown to be bad translations (or in the case of one, inclusion in a list that is largely disregarded by Christians today). You have not addressed those points. Your own perceptions are another matter.
the "bad translations" excuse is your perception .... but then when it fits your agenda, then they're ok.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,826,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Personal testimony is always a fair point to evaluate. Although I despise holier than thou finger-pointers, at least this young woman can speak from her heart to another heart. Condemnation of others rarely wins anyone to Christ. Appeal to what a better life one can have is more effective.

But remember, not one person who posts on the Christianity thread is any better than the worst "gay" or "lesbian" in the whole world. As sinners we all stand on common ground with need of a Savior. I don't spend my time gay-bashing because it is more prudent trying to get my own life as close to God as possible. And my life is the only one over which I exert any control. How I live my life and treat others is the testimony that may influence their choices.

If more of us were like this young woman--speaking first of our own sins and then of the way we found rescue--and living a life of love and forgiveness---we would be following the Great Commission of winning the world to Christ.
Great post!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 PM

796 posts, read 853,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
the "bad translations" excuse is your perception .... but then when it fits your agenda, then they're ok.
Careful your pointing out the circles they run in. When they don't like what God say's it a lie. When they like what God say's its ok.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:22 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Careful your pointing out the circles they run in. When they don't like what God say's it a lie. When they like what God say's its ok.
The problem is not about liking what God says or not. It is about knowing what is from God and what is man's ignorance and superstition under the veil of ignorance in reading the OT. Knowing the "mind of Christ" helps to lift the veil of ignorance and see the truth God has "written in our hearts." Our savage ancestors could not trust what was in their savage hearts because they did not have Christ. We do. Christ abides with us and God has "written in our hearts." We are supposed to trust what Christ's Holy Spirit leads us to within our hearts. Retaining the veil of ignorance over our hearts from reading the OT is satanic because it keeps us from what God has "written in our hearts" under the New Covenant.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:05 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,832,457 times
Quote:
And neither one of you is addressing the scholarship.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 PM

670 posts, read 811,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It's called being obvious:

Galatians 5:19-20
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions,
factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.
I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 5:24 The sins of some are obvious, reaching the place of judgment ahead of them; the sins of others trail behind them.
And what does God chain together ... much to the howling of dogs?
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.

That is why the writer of the letter admits:
For the first time, I was convicted of my sin in a way that made me consider everything I loved (idolized), and its consequences.
You do realize that no where in those verses does it mention homosexuality?

It only mentions sexual Immorality which is unwed sex and sleeping with a married person or more than one person.

But have you ever gotten Jealous? Because that's Envy.

Have you ever been greedy or lustful? Because it lists those as well.

Also the person who wrote that verse had no idea what Idolatry is, they where Ignorant as was the author of the Gospel of John. Idolatry is the use of an object in the worship of a deity. If one is not worshiping a Deity then it is not Idolatry it is some thing else. A scripture can't just try to change the meaning of a word, it already has a meaning.

Now Kissing a Crucifix necklace as you pray that is Idolatry, worshiping a deity through the use of an object is Idolatry so if you bow before a stature of Jesus and pray through it you are committing a terrible sin. People who use Idols are not worshiping the Idol they are using the Idol as a tool to channel their worship which is why is some cases an Idol can be a living thing or even a person such as the Pope a Saint or even the Messiah who is not God.

For God is not a man, nor is God a son of Man, and God is One.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity