Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Please document this statement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've had several discussions regarding hell, universalism, and substitutionary atonement. You have routinely disregarded what the Bible says regarding those topics (assuming I remember correctly). You love to quote passages saying we just need to love, but you reject those that say that sinners will go to hell.

<edit> You just provided the following example on another thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/30465346-post15.html
Of cause I reject them as unscriptural. I will talk later. I'm off for a couple of pints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,945,774 times
Quote:
So, by definition, you just stated that you don't consider it to be inerrant. I'm sorry...your presuppositions tell me that we can't have an honest discussion regarding what the Bible teaches.
Sure we can. I often assume arguendo that the Bible is inerrant in order to show that it is not saying what the person presenting the argument believes. It is only when (not often) I see the Bible as presenting a perception that is at odds with the nature of God as demonstrated by Jesus that we would come to loggerheads by your perceptions.

The point in this line of discussion, however, is that my perception of the nature of the composition of the Bible and its usefulness to the Spirit does not detract from the Bible, only from your perception of it.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,223,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Sure we can. I often assume arguendo that the Bible is inerrant in order to show that it is not saying what the person presenting the argument believes. It is only when (not often) I see the Bible as presenting a perception that is at odds with the nature of God as demonstrated by Jesus that we would come to loggerheads by your perceptions.

The point in this line of discussion, however, is that my perception of the nature of the composition of the Bible and its usefulness to the Spirit does not detract from the Bible, only from your perception of it.
Your whole point of view is influenced by your presuppositions regarding the Bible.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:54 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,945,774 times
Quote:
Your whole point of view is influenced by your presuppositions regarding the Bible.
That may be true, but my reading comprehension is pretty fair, and I'm not afraid to say when I disagree with what the Bible clearly says..... you may have noticed that I won't try to hide it.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:06 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No comment since I have never seen that happen. What discredits the Bible are comments suggesting nothing in the Bible means what it says because it was written by ignorant, savage idiots who had no idea what they were writing, and that anyone who believes what the Bible says is a "book worshipping biblean".
You know . . .I am beginning to think that one of the worst sins is "all-or-nothing" thinking. The idea that somethings in the Bible do NOT mean what you think it says . . . does NOT mean everything in the Bible does not mean what you think it says. That our ancestors were ignorant is indisputable . . . (it means "lacked knowledge") . . . unless you think the past 2000+ years of knowledge does not exist. That our ancestors were savage and barbaric is revealed in their "fruits" . . . such as throwing babies alive into fires to worship Molech, worshiping golden calves and treating cripples horribly because they did not want to treat them better than God did by letting them be crippled. If you are not aware of the savagery and barbarity of our ancestors . . . you need to read more. If someone who follows scriptures . . . (that are USEFUL for instruction) . . .because they think they are inerrant and infallible words directly from God . . . they are idolizing them as God . . . because ONLY God is infallible and inerrant. That would make them a Bibleian . . . NOT a Christian who follows Christ the Living Word of God.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You know . . .I am beginning to think that one of the worst sins is "all-or-nothing" thinking. The idea that somethings in the Bible do NOT mean what you think it says . . . does NOT mean everything in the Bible does not mean what you think it says. That our ancestors were ignorant is indisputable . . . (it means "lacked knowledge") . . . unless you think the past 2000+ years of knowledge does not exist. That our ancestors were savage and barbaric is revealed in their "fruits" . . . such as throwing babies alive into fires to worship Molech, worshiping golden calves and treating cripples horribly because they did not want to treat them better than God did by letting them be crippled. If you are not aware of the savagery and barbarity of our ancestors . . . you need to read more. If someone who follows scriptures . . . (that are USEFUL for instruction) . . .because they think they are inerrant and infallible words directly from God . . . they are idolizing them as God . . . because ONLY God is infallible and inerrant. That would make them a Bibleian . . . NOT a Christian who follows Christ the Living Word of God.
We are talking about authors of the Bible, so could you clarify which authors of the Bible burned babies alive to worship Molech? There are savage people alive even today, but should that mean everyone alive today are savage? It seems to be your thinking that just because there were savages alive back then, then everyone at that time was a savage, even the authors of the Bible. That is pretty ignorant way of thinking.

Quote:
That would make them a Bibleian . . . NOT a Christian who follows Christ the Living Word of God.
It is possible to believe the Bible and follow Christ at the same time. Didn't you just say that the all-or-nothing thinking is one of THE WORST SINS?

BTW How is your way of following Christ different from what is described in the Bible? Could you point out some of the things you do to honor Christ which are not mentioned in the Bible? Thanks.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-13-2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 06:24 PM

33,331 posts, read 26,541,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
''It is not for us to decide who is and who isn't following Christ. We are witnessing in fellowship in the name of Christ and His Gospel, period. Whether or not we agree or disagree . . . we are not here to decide who is or is not Christian. That is God's job . . . not ours.'' Post #79 https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...errancy-8.html

''That would make them a Bibleian . . . NOT a Christian who follows Christ the Living Word of God.'' Post #35 of this thread.

That's called Hypocrisy!!!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
''It is not for us to decide who is and who isn't following Christ. We are witnessing in fellowship in the name of Christ and His Gospel, period. Whether or not we agree or disagree . . . we are not here to decide who is or is not Christian. That is God's job . . . not ours.'' Post #79 https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...errancy-8.html
You are correct . . . I apologize. I got carried away with all the negativity and judging of Christian Mysticism as NOT Christian and of Satan and the like. I accept your rebuke, my brother in Christ's love.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:04 PM

268 posts, read 228,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Well when you have thread subjects on Adam and Eve being a myth - people set themselves up to the charge of discrediting the Bible.
Some very religious people believe the story of the GOE and Adam and Eve were allegorical. That the story wasn't meant to be taken as actually having happened. Many feel the same way about the Global flood due to scientific evidence which is pretty much irrefutable and the realization the story could never have happened in reality. You have to remember to those who wrote the scrolls, that small part of the earth was the "whole world." So it was, in effect, the truth to them.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:07 PM

268 posts, read 228,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Exactly. They have a relationship with the bible. The bible told them.
Since the original scrolls no longer exist, we can't really know what they contained. Human nature being what it is, you can be sure there were mistakes in translation, in the copies of copies plus men with agendas may have added a word here or there or removed a few words.... and it all adds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity