Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 05:17 PM

116 posts, read 546,405 times

Advertisements

I'm doing a 10 minute sermon at my youth group on Monday and i'm doing some of the sermon on the Israelites worshiping Baal. I would like to read some books and chapters talking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 05:29 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
1 Kings 22:53
He served and worshiped Baal and aroused the anger of the Lord, the God of Israel, just as his father had done.

2 Kings 10:28 So Jehu destroyed Baal worship in Israel.

2Kings 17:16
They forsook all the commands of the Lord their God and made for themselves two idols cast in the shape of calves, and an Asherah pole.
They bowed down to all the starry hosts, and they worshiped Baal.

2 Kings 21:3
He rebuilt the high places his father Hezekiah had destroyed; he also erected altars to Baal and made an Asherah pole, as Ahab king of Israel had done. He bowed down to all the starry hosts and worshiped them.

2 Chronicles 28:2
He followed the ways of the kings of Israel and also made idols for worshiping the Baals.

2 Chronicles 33:3 He rebuilt the high places his father Hezekiah had demolished; he also erected altars to the Baals and made Asherah poles. He bowed down to all the starry hosts and worshiped them.

Jeremiah 23:27 They think the dreams they tell one another will make my people forget my name, just as their ancestors forgot my name through Baal worship.

Hosea 13:1 [ The Lord’s Anger Against Israel ]
When Ephraim spoke, people trembled; he was exalted in Israel. But he became guilty of Baal worship and died.

Zephaniah 1:4 “I will stretch out my hand against Judah and against all who live in Jerusalem. I will destroy every remnant of Baal worship in this place, the very names of the idolatrous priests—

Old 07-13-2013, 05:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Which reminds me of one more thing I just don't understand about the biblical god: why get his shorts in such a twist because some folks worship something/one else?

What was he afraid of? I thought he was omni-everything?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:35 PM

505 posts, read 575,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Which reminds me of one more thing I just don't understand about the biblical god: why get his shorts in such a twist because some folks worship something/one else?

What was he afraid of? I thought he was omni-everything?
Baal is sometimes translated: lord, POSSESSOR. and was the supreme deity among the Canaanites and various other pagan nations. His full title was Ball-Shemaim (lord of heaven), the equivalent of the Greek god Zeus. Each locality had its own Baal and the form of worship vaired from place to place. The Israelites built temples, altars and images of the false god Baal, which is idolatry. Idolatry is a sin. Baal worshippers often performed human sacrifices, which is murder, another sin.

God wanted HIS CHOSEN PEOPLE to worship Him IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH, not to worship false gods which required them to sin. God was looking out for the best interests of Israel.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
Baal is sometimes translated: lord, POSSESSOR. and was the supreme deity among the Canaanites and various other pagan nations. His full title was Ball-Shemaim (lord of heaven), the equivalent of the Greek god Zeus. Each locality had its own Baal and the form of worship vaired from place to place. The Israelites built temples, altars and images of the false god Baal, which is idolatry. Idolatry is a sin. Baal worshippers often performed human sacrifices, which is murder, another sin.

God wanted HIS CHOSEN PEOPLE to worship Him IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH, not to worship false gods which required them to sin. God was looking out for the best interests of Israel.
Thank you for your explanation.

I'm afraid that to me, it still looks more like a schoolgirl's petty jealousy -- not behaviour I'd find admirable in a god.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:06 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
From what I understand of the invention of the devil to confuse people that believe the Lord God was baal , is that they had a twisted understanding that God wanted them to prosper , so the set up alter to worship this belief ...See this baal was a fertility god who had five parts of his prosperity authority which was like a baal of hay for the prosperity for the good harvest for the farmers , and this baal had other authority to bring fertility for mothers , and prosperity for wealth , and good weather conditions , peace in the world , like the woman at the well who worshiped baal who was the five husband` , Jesus said `and now you worship the God of Israel , who is not your husband `.See this interpretation has been preached but rarely , that the five husband was baal...and this baal was the false prosperity message for these Israelites who got the strange god instead , and became an idol before the Lord God

Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Here is another area who proves that this baal god was wrong and strange from 2 Kings 21 as a wicked king called Manasseh was evil in the sight of God and built up the high places which Manasseh father Hezekiah had destroyed and he reared up alter for baal, and made a grove ...And he made his son pass through the fire , and observed times, and used enchantments and dealt with familiar spirits , and wizards , he wrought much wickedness in the sight of the Lord to provoke him to anger ``......... One observation I noticed was that this wicked King Manasseh reigned through the years of 666 BC..... Which shows that the humanism of that time or season was strong as this King went alone away from God

Old 07-14-2013, 05:11 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSlave View Post
I'm doing a 10 minute sermon at my youth group on Monday and i'm doing some of the sermon on the Israelites worshiping Baal. I would like to read some books and chapters talking about it.
This may help:

Canaanite culture and religion

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity