Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,616 times

Advertisements

Can 2 walk together except they be agreed is a God idea or 1 Peter 3:3.

Ban of jewelry is a God idea or 1 Peter 3:3.

Sabbath rest is a God idea or Hebrews 4.

Ban of women church preachers is a God idea or 1 Cor. 14:34-35.

No different divorced remarriages is a God idea or Romans 7:2-3.

Water baptism is a God idea or John 3:5.

Contentment with work wages is a God idea or Luke 3:14.

Ban of gun right experts is a God idea or Roman 12:17.

Global evangelism wisely is a God idea or Matthew 7:6.

Prayer intercession to believers only is a God idea or John 17:9.

Tongue regulations is a God idea only or 1 Cor. 14.

Alcohol free drinking is a God idea or Proverbs 20:1.

Believer segregation is a God idea or 2 Cor. 6.

Selective settings is a God idea or 1 Peter 4:1-4.

Real income parenting is a God idea or 1 Timothy 5:8.

Conservative investing is a God idea or 1 Timothy 6.

Selective giving is a God idea or Galations 1:8-9.

Split up families is a God idea or Matthew 10:34-37.

Lost friendships is a God idea or Matthew 10:22.

Advertising Jesus is a God idea or Luke 14:23.

Modest relationships with unbelievers is a God idea or Luke 16:9.

Toughness on a bum is a God idea or 2 Thess. 3:10.

Preaching living of the gospel is a God idea or 1 Cor. 9:14.

Absolute on anything in the bible is a God idea or 2 Peter 1:20-21.

Head coverings is a God idea or 1 Cor. 11.

Single ministry is a God idea or 1 Cor. 7.

Man over their spouse is a God idea or Ephesians 5:22-23.

Man rebuking man is a God idea or James 5:20.

Bible taught people is a God idea or 1 John 2:27.

Know strangers is a God idea or 1 Thess. 5:12.

Modest toleration is a God idea or Titus 3:10.

Revelation is a God idea or John 8:32.

All the bible with God in it is a God idea or 2 Timothy 3:16.

Heaven or hell with all the bible is a God idea or Matthew 5:17-20.

Are We 100% Bible Believers With An Amos 3:3 Purpose Here ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 11:22 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
''Ban of jewelry is a God idea or 1 Peter 3:3.''

Oh yeah? Try telling that to Mr. T.

''I Pity the Fool.''

God is not opposed to jewelry Tony. That wasn't Peter's meaning.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:31 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,616 times
Default School Me If You Can ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
''Ban of jewelry is a God idea or 1 Peter 3:3.''

Oh yeah? Try telling that to Mr. T.

''I Pity the Fool.''

God is not opposed to jewelry Tony. That wasn't Peter's meaning.

No putting on of gold talking about what ?

Fair to say it's not gold teeth.

Fair to say it's not gold watches.

Fair to say it's not gold colored clothing .

Fair to say it's talking about rings and ear rings and necklaces as we know it.

This the bling bling too much says Paul ( 1 Tim. 2:9-14) and Peter (1 Peter 3:3 ).

No bling bling would be modesty or moderation if Paul and Peter tell it.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:20 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post
No putting on of gold talking about what ?

Fair to say it's not gold teeth.

Fair to say it's not gold watches.

Fair to say it's not gold colored clothing .

This the bling bling too much says Paul ( 1 Tim. 2:9-14) and Peter (1 Peter 3:3 ).

So in your opinion Tony, rings, ear rings and necklaces are not modest?

Are the earrings that this woman is wearing immodest?

images of women wearing earrings - Bing images

What about the necklace this woman is wearing? Is that immodest?

images of women wearing necklace - Bing images

And this ring Tony. Is wearing this ring immodest?

images of women wearing diamond rings - Bing images

Now, let's put them all together. Here is Elizabeth Taylor wearing a necklace, earrings, a ring on her finger, and a bracelet. That is one beautiful woman Tony, and I find nothing at all wrong with her adornments.

images of women wearing diamond rings - Bing images

Now go wash your mouth out with soap for saying 'bling bling'. Or maybe that should be, go wash your hands with soap for typing 'bling bling'.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
"Split up families is a God idea."

Please interpret, Tony. Does that mean your sect splits up families? If it does.....oh my. That's truly scary

And what is "toughness on a bum"? Considering you seem to think the poor are sinners.....it sounds like nothing good.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:23 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
"Split up families is a God idea."

Please interpret, Tony. Does that mean your sect splits up families? If it does.....oh my. That's truly scary

And what is "toughness on a bum"? Considering you seem to think the poor are sinners.....it sounds like nothing good.
What sect is he a part of? Just curious.

Matthew 10:34-up is the part about Jesus coming to set a family against itself, e.g. believers vs. nonbelievers.

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it."

So in this case, yes, "split up families" is absolutely a God idea.

In terms of toughness on a bum...

2 Thess 3:10 says "For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either."

I guess the key to the sentence is the word willing ... e.g. it does not say not to be charitable to the old, the infirm, etc., but it does seem to imply that someone who can work but chooses not to, should not expect to be fed. Maybe could be taken metaphorically as well -- if you choose not to partake in a Christian life, you should not expect the blessings thereof. What do you think Dew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post

I can understand the argument but on the other hand, we need to be careful to avoid legalism in these sorts of situations, I feel. For example an engagement ring or wedding band is usually seen as a positive symbol in the Christian worldview, rather than an inappropriate adornment. I am wearing a cross bracelet...I also do not see this as blasphemous or an inappropriate adornment. Your thoughts on religious jewelry and wedding rings, Tony? Just curious.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
What sect is he a part of? Just curious.

Matthew 10:34-up is the part about Jesus coming to set a family against itself, e.g. believers vs. nonbelievers.

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it."

So in this case, yes, "split up families" is absolutely a God idea.

In terms of toughness on a bum...

2 Thess 3:10 says "For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either."

I guess the key to the sentence is the word willing ... e.g. it does not say not to be charitable to the old, the infirm, etc., but it does seem to imply that someone who can work but chooses not to, should not expect to be fed. Maybe could be taken metaphorically as well -- if you choose not to partake in a Christian life, you should not expect the blessings thereof. What do you think Dew?

I don't know what sect Tony belongs to. I'm genuinely curious and have asked him several times but he has never answered My best guess is he's a follower of Herbert W. Armstrong, though I could be wrong about that.

As far as splitting up families....Tony has stated that being poor is a sin. (I disagree.) He has also stated that the poor should not have children. (I disagree.) Because his posting style is not conducive to easy understanding, I was wondering if there is a connection.

What do I think? I think Jesus would be appalled by some of the beliefs espoused by Tony and other ultra-conservative Christians. I cannot imagine being tough on a bum. None of us know what hardships others have endured that makes them end up on the streets. How do we know who is "willing to work" and who is a ptsd-suffering veteran who has flashbacks that have left him unable to cope with life? If I see a homeless person I'll gladly buy him/her a cup of coffee and something to eat. I never think, "That guy looks unwilling to work. I'm sick of these homeless." so......."No coffee for you! Get a job, loser." We never know who needs just one cup of coffee and a friendly, not condemning, face. We never know what life we're changing by NOT being "tough on a bum."

Judging the poor is appalling to me. Jesus was the child of immigrant parents. He did not have a steady job. He probably worked as an itinerant laborer. I think he knew a lot about being poor and hungry. Jesus fed people without asking, "So. Are you looking for a job? If you aren't I'm not giving you any fish."

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-02-2016 at 03:54 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 07:54 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,390 times
"DDI" agree the gospels seem to show that Jesus was sensitive to and cared for the poor, the hungry, and the dispossessed. in fact, apparently the ultimate test of who was a "true" believer that Jesus really recognized as such was IF those who claimed to be so actually fed the hungry, gave drink to the thirsty, and took care of the sick---pretty much describing the "poor" and how we should treat them then AND now. the idea that it "was easier for a camel to go through a needles eye than for the rich to enter the Kingdom of Heaven" probably scandalized lots of people then as wealth and success was usually considered a sign of God's special favor. as you probably know, He challenged a rich and apparently religious young man to "give all his possessions to the poor" so as to have treasure in heaven. finally there is this troubling statement: "you CANNOT serve both God and Mammon (money)"

so yes, Jesus was probably very much of an advocate for and lover of "bums"!!!

may God bless you.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-02-2016 at 08:05 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
"DDI" agree the gospels seem to show that Jesus was sensitive to and cared for the poor, the hungry, and the dispossessed. in fact, apparently the ultimate test of who was a "true" believer that Jesus really recognized as such was IF those who claimed to be so actually fed the hungry, gave drink to the thirsty, and took care of the sick---pretty much describing the "poor" and how we should treat them then AND now. the idea that it "was easier for a camel to go through a needles eye than for the rich to enter the Kingdom of Heaven" probably scandalized lots of people then as wealth and success was usually considered a sign of God's special favor. as you probably know, He challenged a rich and apparently religious young man to "give all his possessions to the poor" so as to have treasure in heaven. finally there is this troubling statement: "you CANNOT serve both God and Mammon (money)"

so yes, Jesus was probably very much of an advocate for and lover of "bums"!!!

may God bless you.
Amen.

May He bless you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity