Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM

18,185 posts, read 16,752,951 times

Advertisements

It's an interesting thought, this is spun off my thread about NDE's because I didn't want a point I brought up there dominating the thread:

Quote:
Hypergamy (colloquially referred to as “marrying up”) is the act or practice of seeking a spouse of higher socioeconomic status, or caste status than oneself.

According to evolutionary psychologists, females have evolved a preference for higher status males because they offer their prospective children both “better” genes and greater resources, e.g. food and security. Men, who invest less in their children, have less reason to prefer mates with high social status. Some have even argued that men “marry-down” to ensure that their mates have a higher incentive to remain faithful.

Some evolutionary psychologists believe that women exhibit mate-selective preferences for spouses who are greater than them in terms of attained physical attractiveness, educational level, job status, social standing, and capital accumulation. In comparison, males would tend to place higher emphasis on the value of physical attractiveness in a woman alone.
Sounds a bit like what Eve had, doesn't it? Not happy with everything God had given her and Adam in Eden; wanting more, like to know good from evil; not satisfied with the fruit God had given them to eat, but wanting more, like the "attractive forbidden fruit" the serpent was offering her that would enhance her current status.

Quote:
Eve is the symbolic mother of our entire species. She lived in the Garden of Eden where all her needs were fulfilled and there was plenty of pleasure and love.

But Eve, being a woman, had a trait that many XX carriers have as well: She wanted more. Women believe and hope that things can always improve. This is a wonderful trait to have – without it, women wouldn’t have been able to achieve so much in a world with so many biological disadvantages, but it’s a fatal flaw to have if you happen to already live in Paradise.

In modern society Eve’s desire for more, always more, is seldom a fatal flaw, but it is an illness that has infected the relationship between women and men.

The old saying “I can do better” is practically taught since birth to women as a way to empower them: you can have a better job, a better car, a better home and better, better, better… The problem is that modern society doesn’t say to women that they could also “do a lot worse” and more often than not they have no idea how to change a pattern that keeps taking them to the same failed place. Sadly, many do not realize their self-destructive choices until it is too late.

Eve is whispering in your ear, telling you to look for the “better” man. But what is better in terms of mating? The tallest one, the handsomest one, the one that seems confident and strong? This is where Eve is still eating the forbidden fruit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM

794 posts, read 841,138 times
God did not create a desire in man that did not have a corresponding answer in creation. Eve exercised her free choice and by eating the fruit God told her not to she was literally saying God's word is not truth. The devil convinced her that God withheld something good from her, but God never said that the tree of knowledge of good and evil was good for her to eat from. The devil twisted her thinking, knowing he could not simply say the tree was good to eat from without first making God seem like a liar.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:17 PM

6,370 posts, read 6,986,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's an interesting thought, this is spun off my thread about NDE's because I didn't want a point I brought up there dominating the thread:

Sounds a bit like what Eve had, doesn't it? Not happy with everything God had given her and Adam in Eden; wanting more, like to know good from evil; not satisfied with the fruit God had given them to eat, but wanting more, like the "attractive forbidden fruit" the serpent was offering her that would enhance her current status.

I believe Eve in the garden when talking to the "serpent" was ACTUALLY talking to Adam. It was Adam's disobedient nature that here is being referred to as the "Serpent". I believe that Adam saw that Eve was given to her by God and to get approval for eating of the forbidden fruit that it may be approved if Eve were convinced to give it to him since she was already gift to him by God. This is why I believe that Adam then lashed out at Eve upon discovery that he had eaten the forbidden fruit. Why else do we read of Even talking to the Serpent as a first party member. Saying WE to the Serpent. Then the question is why was the phrase "with her" put in the scripture text here:

Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

I believe the scriptures were making a distinction between Adam and Adam's disobedient nature - referring to the latter as the Serpent.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I believe Eve in the garden when talking to the "serpent" was ACTUALLY talking to Adam. It was Adam's disobedient nature that here is being referred to as the "Serpent". I believe that Adam saw that Eve was given to her by God and to get approval for eating of the forbidden fruit that it may be approved if Eve were convinced to give it to him since she was already gift to him by God. This is why I believe that Adam then lashed out at Eve upon discovery that he had eaten the forbidden fruit. Why else do we read of Even talking to the Serpent as a first party member. Saying WE to the Serpent. Then the question is why was the phrase "with her" put in the scripture text here:

Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

I believe the scriptures were making a distinction between Adam and Adam's disobedient nature - referring to the latter as the Serpent.
Sounds fascinating but i'm not following. The serpent was actually a manifestation of Adam's sinful nature? But i thought the serpent was satan in disguise

Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 PM

6,370 posts, read 6,986,835 times
Quote:
Sounds fascinating but i'm not following. The serpent was actually a manifestation of Adam's sinful nature? But i thought the serpent was satan in disguise
Same thing. Satan = Serpent. also which is the Spirit of Disobedience = man's disobedient nature.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 PM

8,084 posts, read 6,836,292 times
Quote:
Eve is the symbolic mother of our entire species. She lived in the Garden of Eden where all her needs were fulfilled and there was plenty of pleasure and love.

But Eve, being a woman, had a trait that many XX carriers have as well: She wanted more. Women believe and hope that things can always improve. This is a wonderful trait to have – without it, women wouldn’t have been able to achieve so much in a world with so many biological disadvantages, but it’s a fatal flaw to have if you happen to already live in Paradise.

In modern society Eve’s desire for more, always more, is seldom a fatal flaw, but it is an illness that has infected the relationship between women and men.

The old saying “I can do better” is practically taught since birth to women as a way to empower them: you can have a better job, a better car, a better home and better, better, better… The problem is that modern society doesn’t say to women that they could also “do a lot worse” and more often than not they have no idea how to change a pattern that keeps taking them to the same failed place. Sadly, many do not realize their self-destructive choices until it is too late.

Eve is whispering in your ear, telling you to look for the “better” man. But what is better in terms of mating? The tallest one, the handsomest one, the one that seems confident and strong? This is where Eve is still eating the forbidden fruit.

What a bunch of nonsense.

Seriously thrill, I'm surprised at you.
Try seeing people as individuals.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
What a bunch of nonsense.

Seriously thrill, I'm surprised at you.
Try seeing people as individuals.
ooops!

Don't shoot the messenger, .sparrow. It's just a theory by a Christian psychologist, which i thought might be interesting.

Incidentally, why do you think satan went after the woman instead of Adam?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 PM

63,387 posts, read 39,647,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post

She was talking to her inner Serpent . . . our animal nature (reptilian brain) that is the source of ALL our drives and desires. We all have it and it does not have the capacity to discriminate between Good and Evil. Only our big brain (source of consciousness) can do that for it. We are dual-natured . . . animal and Spirit . . . but only our animal nature is fully developed at birth. Our Spirit is a mere seed of a Soul that must grow and mature to achieve control over our animal drives and desires. The Eden story is the story of our first lesson . . . knowing Good and Evil . . . so we can discriminate for our animal nature.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 07-16-2013 at 08:56 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
She was talking to her inner Serpent . . . our animal nature (reptilian brain) that is the source of ALL our drives and desires. We all have it and it does not have the capacity to discriminate between Good and Evil. Only our big brain (source of consciousness) can do that for it. We are dual natured . . . animal and Spirit . . . but our animal nature is fully developed at birth. Our Spirit is a mere seed of a Soul that must grow and mature to achieve control over our animal drives and desires. The Eden story is the story of our first lesson . . . knowing Good and Evil . . . so we can discriminate for our animal nature.
Which is exactly why I believe Adam and Eve were just mythical figures. By the time Genesis got written down some 600 BC or so people already knew a LOT about the foibles of humans (Hadn't Solomon already written THREE TIMES "Better to live on the corner of a rooftop than share a house with a quarrelsome wife"?)

So the hypothesis that in a household the women are mostly (note that word, mostly) alpha, the men mostly beta and the majority of arguments are started by dissatisfied women while the men would rather escape them to a quiet corner of the house is not a stereotype, but actually quite real.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,353,430 times
Quote:
ooops!

Don't shoot the messenger, .sparrow. It's just a theory by a Christian psychologist, which i thought might be interesting.

Incidentally, why do you think satan went after the woman instead of Adam?
Ambition/greed is a trait of both sexes (men want to keep working and working, buying a "better" house after they have enough to stop working on a cheap one). So no.

...For the same reason car salesmen target women instead of the guy buying the car. It's an easier sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity