U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 PM

794 posts, read 751,790 times

Advertisements

Do you believe in a God / Creator but not the God of scripture? What brought you to believe in this God and did you believe in them before or after having knowledge of scripture?

I believe in the God mentioned in scripture. I am interested to see why others believe in a God but not the God of scripture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 PM

53,002 posts, read 31,956,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Do you believe in a God / Creator but not the God of scripture? What brought you to believe in this God and did you believe in them before or after having knowledge of scripture?
I believe in the God mentioned in scripture. I am interested to see why others believe in a God but not the God of scripture.
I KNOW there is a God and I KNOW what His character is like. I encountered Him unexpectedly as an atheist many years ago. I came to eventually identify Him as the God described and exemplified by Jesus the.Christ through research in reading the "spiritual fossil record" and understanding the scientific nature of our reality. The OT descriptions of God . . . which completely contradict the God revealed by Christ . . . are corruptions due to the savagery and barbarity of our ancient ancestors' ignorance and superstitious beliefs about God.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I KNOW there is a God and I KNOW what His character is like. I encountered Him unexpectedly as an atheist many years ago. I came to eventually identify Him as the God described and exemplified by Jesus the.Christ through research in reading the "spiritual fossil record" and understanding the scientific nature of our reality. The OT descriptions of God . . . which completely contradict the God revealed by Christ . . . are corruptions due to the savagery and barbarity of our ancient ancestors' ignorance and superstitious beliefs about God.
Actually the old testament is pictures of God's redeeming nature. God never wanted temporal atonements. He wanted to give us His Son and be the provider of our eternal salvation. The cross is a testament to the lie of the devil who made God out to be a withholder. It is an expression of His true love and nature that He is a God that does not withhold anything good from us.

You mentioned science with your pursuit of truth. Science always makes God just another subject or study. It never recognizes Him as Creator but questions His creation. I believe to fully understand God you cannot mix any other ideology with Him as He is not of creation, but the Creator.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM

31,375 posts, read 16,834,989 times
Re-tracing my steps to the realization of a Creator involves my rejection of the biblical god, my own growth and failings, and is a story that I have been working on for a few years.

But alas, is not one I can condense to a single post.

Suffice to say that circumstance, experience, despair, observation and hope combined to create my beliefs.

And I have been blessed with an interior truth/lie-detector.

It has never failed me.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Actually the old testament is pictures of God's redeeming nature. God never wanted temporal atonements. He wanted to give us His Son and be the provider of our eternal salvation. The cross is a testament to the lie of the devil who made God out to be a withholder. It is an expression of His true love and nature that He is a God that does not withhold anything good from us.
You have to be doing what I am accused of doing . . . cherry-picking verses to come to that conclusion. The God as described in the OT is savage, brutal, and rife with human psychological weaknesses . . . because He reflects the savages who wrote about Him using their lack of knowledge and superstitious beliefs about an angry, vengeful War God who needed to be appeased by blood sacrifices. There are some verses extolling His real character and love . . . but they are buried beneath a mass of brutality and savagery.
Quote:
You mentioned science with your pursuit of truth. Science always makes God just another subject or study. It never recognizes Him as Creator but questions His creation. I believe to fully understand God you cannot mix any other ideology with Him as He is not of creation, but the Creator.
Science does not focus on God . . . it focuses on understanding and describing the nature of our reality. It is the BEST source of information about our reality. I sought to find evidence and explanations for what I have personally experienced as God. Since I KNOW God exists . . . I needed to find scientifically plausible explanations for how that could be possible. I found them. There is no conflict.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 07-16-2013 at 07:36 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Re-tracing my steps to the realization of a Creator involves my rejection of the biblical god, my own growth and failings, and is a story that I have been working on for a few years.

But alas, is not one I can condense to a single post.

Suffice to say that circumstance, experience, despair, observation and hope combined to create my beliefs.

And I have been blessed with an interior truth/lie-detector.

It has never failed me.
What is it about the biblical God that you do not like or believe not to be true?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
What is it about the biblical God that you do not like or believe not to be true?
Are you actually oblivious to the descriptions of a jealous, megalomaniacal, vengeful, genocidal War God who orders the savage wholesale murder of men women and children . . . including babies . . . and stoning people to death for trivial things, etc.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 PM

12,029 posts, read 7,975,481 times
Quote:

The God in the Bible is man's approximation of God.

Everything is otherwise religion.

Some cosmologists believe in God in a different manner. For example the origin of the Big Bang is unknown, it is difficult to explain the creative force.

The Catholic monk and philosopher Saint Thomas basically described the Big Bang in the 13th century when he provided the proof of the existence of God. Saint Thomas was a wise man and did not use the Bible to prove the existence of God. Using the Bible would have been circular logic which can be defeated by anyone with minimal debating skills.

The Goldilocks coincidences that lead to life in planet Earth suggests the existence of God. The number of favorable coincidences to have life is HUGE. A bit less or a bit more here and there and there would be no life.

The Bible is a magnificent allegoric book and a great guide to get in touch with God. But, God is unknown to us.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:39 PM

31,375 posts, read 16,834,989 times
Quote:
I don't like: His pettiness. His tantrums. His mind games. His cruelty.

I don't believe: He is any more true than the Roman, Greek and Norse gods.

(BTW: Jesus is another story. I suspect, if he ever truly existed and is still capable of assessing what's going on here, he spends a lot of his current time feeling sick to his stomach.)

Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 AM

28,234 posts, read 12,665,209 times

Understanding that the Bible contains valuable lessons for the individual that
leads them to Spiritual maturity is not the same thing as an unrestrained
or extravagant imagination that perceives that which is evil, as something
good and righteous.
"For I desire Mercy, not Sacrifice." Saith, the Lord!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity