Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 PM

505 posts, read 575,059 times

Advertisements

sin, iniquity or transgressions?

The Bible mentions all 3. What are they and which is worse? Define and elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post

The Bible mentions all 3. What are they and which is worse? Define and elaborate.
Interesting question. "Sin" has often been mentioned as it's literal translation: "missing the mark," which assumes a standard. How "the mark" is missed does not enter. I see transgression essentially as an isolated incident of missing the mark as opposed to "iniquity" which would be a continuing course of violation. Both come under "sin," but iniquity will be the more difficult to overcome as it becomes ingrained as opposed to one time transgression (which could be one of many different violations but becomes iniquity only when it becomes a more or less normal course of action).

Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM

794 posts, read 846,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post

Sin is any thought or action not of faith. The bible says now that we are under grace anything not of faith is sin.

Transgression is breaking the 10 commandments or any law. Where there is no law there is no transgression.

Iniquity is sinful behavior or the act of sin.

God does not see degrees of sin so basically all are on the same level of bad.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
IMHO.... it's basically all the same thing.
NON-LOVE.

It's really not as difficult as most people make it out to be.

Focus on LOVE.
When you focus on "sin", "iniquity", etc., you are turning your back on love.

LOVE leads to LIFE.
Focus on LOVE.
Cultivate love in your own heart towards your fellow man.

What else is there?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
All are wrongs - the differences belong in the eyes (and dictionaries) of the beholders - and are likely a matter of degree.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:38 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
I never really thought of then as all different. I just don't bother thinking of them. I don't live in the world of do's and don'ts. now, I am not saying that I just go sinning all day. but the more I try not to, the more I am tempted to. I think sparrow had it correct. focus on love. if we have to think twice about doing something, it is usually wrong. because we should never think twice about doing good. if we got to think twice about doing good, then I think that fulfills all 3 categories you are trying to figure out. hope I made sense.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
They're interchangeable.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:55 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
All these are an offense before the Lord and people need to identify and repent and turn away ..., but Like Iniquity which in Matthew 7:23...Jesus eternally condemn those who hold iniquity , Just like the sinner who does not repent would otherwise perish , and the transgression who would never even know the difference , as even Jesus when He told Peter to buy a sword , Jesus did it so the prophecy who record that Jesus was one with the transgressors from Isaiah 53: 12 ....They are all worse!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM

123 posts, read 166,503 times
I was just watching Marilyn Hickey yesterday (don't know her that well) and she was talking about this. She defined them like this:

1. Sin - you sin against God and miss the mark (which I understand originated from an archery term)
2. Transgressions - these are against your fellow man
3. Iniquity - this is sinful behavior that runs in your family history (not sure I totally agree with her on this). I just read an article that said iniquity describes man's condition after he has sinned against God.

All need to be repented of and indeed they are all wrong/against God's will. They aren't exactly the same, which is why there are different words for them in the Bible.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:48 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
sin covers them all..no one is better or worse than the other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity