U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:55 AM

113 posts, read 129,860 times

Advertisements

This week I watched an old king movie with 5 tribe and clan leaders fighting for the throne of the king in that kingdom, some were legitimate others were not but what got me thinking is that a lot of the troubles, challenges and problems depicted in the movie are pretty much still being faced in today society.

Walk in the streets of your city, area, neighbourhood and look at the faces of the people. Those faces tell you a lot of things, challenges, problems, many are in pain, sickness, setbacks, marital problems, uncertainty, anger, family troubles, and career challenges and there is a lot of uncertainty as well. All these things are carried by the people and some have learnt how to control themselves, some are stung beyond repair, some are just hanging and others have just given up.

Others blame God, others will tell you they are reaping the mistakes of their lives and many others are just clueless and in this all. This is the exact state of the people that walk into our conference, churches, open air crusade, meetings, into our worship services and they leave the same as they entered. The one place where they thought they would get help they did not get it.

“The heavens declare his righteousness, and all the people see his glory”, Psalms 97:6. Could we change this scripture and say I declare his righteousness and all the people see His glory in my life. May we turn our conference, churches, open air crusade and meetings into worship encounters? Places of refuge and place of comfort, where we worship and He inhabits in our praises.

No one has the answers to life except the maker of the life, people are looking for solutions and answers worldwide and the some of the people’s answers are reading this exact article, YOU. Let’s not just sing songs, play instruments and just rush through our worship. May our worship saturate our lives and churches and meetings that when people come all their troubles and worries, all those melt in His presence, bringing people to his feet and all they need is an encounter with the maker.

We have been tasked by God to carry them from their state into his presence, we are blessed by God to be sign posts that direct them to Him, we have been blessed to carry people into his presence. If we are going to take people to his presence then how, anyone can sing but leading his people into his presence is a different place altogether and to start this journey we need to have

A real and personal relationship with the Lord – as worshippers and not singers our individual lives and devotional times are so important. If you have never been in His presence you will never take anyone there
Set Apart/ Holy Living – Consecrate our lives to glorify his name, set apart to just lift him up and bring him glory and to live our lives worthy of that mission. “Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men”2 Corinthians 3:2

May we bring people to his feet that all their worries, cares and burdens melt as we lead them into his presence to meet with Him face to face. One man said a few weeks ago “The world is thirsty lets help them to drink from the eternal river”.

As we declare his righteousness, and all the people see his glory, Psalms 97:6 and receive the help they need only from him alone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,629,093 times
My question is how can people get close to someone (God) if they feel he has disappointed and hurt them nearly beyond repair? I'm not talking about ME, but I've heard - and read - that others feel that way. Really, I don't blame them.

People have so many heartbreaks, unanswered questions, disappointments, etc.

I know I couldn't get through this mess WITHOUT God (as fractured as my relationship with him is, however).

Life is not meant to be easy, but dang, folks need some good breaks sometimes. What gives?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,331,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
My question is how can people get close to someone (God) if they feel he has disappointed and hurt them nearly beyond repair? I'm not talking about ME, but I've heard - and read - that others feel that way. Really, I don't blame them.

I know I couldn't get through this mess WITHOUT God (as fractured as my relationship with him is, however).

Life is not meant to be easy, but dang, folks need some good breaks sometimes. What gives?
When tragedy and pain occurs in people's lives, they usually ask God, "Why?" It's a natural response. But, what people are really asking isn't "Why?" but "Why me?"

There are two problems with that. First, God never promised that life would be easy yet so many people operate under the impression that He did and that God should prevent tragedy from happening to us. When He doesn't, they get angry.

Second, when we do not understand the extent of God’s sovereignty, we lose confidence in His ability to control circumstances, other people, and the way they affect us. Then we get angry with God because He seems to have lost control of the universe and especially control of our lives. We lose faith in God’s sovereignty because our frail human flesh is struggling with our own frustration and our lack of control over things that happen. When good things happen, we're quick to attribute it to our own achievements and success. When bad things happen, however, we're quick to blame God (or others), and we get angry with Him for not preventing it, which goes back to the first flaw in our thinking -- that we deserve to be immune to tragedy, pain, hardship, loss, etc.

Everything that happens is either caused by or allowed by God. Matthew 10:29-31 says that not a sparrow falls to the ground nor a hair from our head without God knowing about it. We can complain, get angry, and and blame God for what's happening. But if we will trust Him and yield our bitterness and pain to Him, acknowledging the prideful sin of trying to force our own will over His, He can and will grant us His peace and strength to get us through any difficult situation according to 1 Corinthians 10:13. Many believers, including myself, can bear witness to that very fact. We can be angry with God for many reasons, so we all have to accept at some point that there are things we cannot control or even understand with our finite minds.

The practical, "How do I put this answer into practice in my life?" answer is this: When bad circumstances or tragedy strikes, it's important to remember that God is in control, He still loves you, He knows your pain, and that He'll bring you through it IF you'll allow Him to. Immediately confess the anger and disappointment and let it go. It's a natural reaction, yes, but the root of it is PRIDE. God sees the Big Picture, you don't. Realize that God knows better than you do and TRUST Him.

And, as is the purpose of the OP's initial post -- PRAISE HIM! OFTEN! IN THE MIDST OF EVERYTHING! Lack of praise and worship (which is more than just singing songs) is the cause for a lot of defeat in the life of Christians. Anger at God is the inability or unwillingness to trust God even when we don't understand what He's doing. Being angry at God is nothing less than telling God that He's done something wrong, which He never does. Does God understand when we're angry, frustrated, or disappointed with Him? Yes, He knows our hearts and He knows how difficult and painful life in this world can be. (Especially in these last moments of the last days.) Does that make it right to be angry with God? Absolutely not. Instead of being angry with God, we should pour out our hearts to God in prayer and then trust that He is in control and that His plan is perfect.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 AM

113 posts, read 129,860 times
Quote:

Life has a lot trials, temptations and alos our own wrongs and all but at the end of the day we have no one to blame and we choose God saying if you have all the power why did you allow this to happen... some have been good Christians all their lives but bad things happen to them and they still come into his his presence with that anger...

Our hearts as worshippers should be connecting such people with the face of God, there is so much hurt out there in this world, people are lonely and scared and the answer is God's presence... if we can bring them to meeting their maker then God will help them to work on it...

Old 07-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Well, Plain and Simple, you preached at me (great, thanks ) - didn't need, or want, that.
I disagree with a lot that you said.
That's all I have to say.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkofWorship View Post
Life has a lot trials, temptations and alos our own wrongs and all but at the end of the day we have no one to blame and we choose God saying if you have all the power why did you allow this to happen... some have been good Christians all their lives but bad things happen to them and they still come into his his presence with that anger...

Our hearts as worshippers should be connecting such people with the face of God, there is so much hurt out there in this world, people are lonely and scared and the answer is God's presence... if we can bring them to meeting their maker then God will help them to work on it...
Okay.

I reluctantly agree that one of the answers is being in God's presence, and I still have little desire to do that now. Best I do now is pray a few sentences. I offer thanks sometimes (especially for the simple things). I ask for simple things, then stop (because I remember what He allowed or didn't allow to happen).

But I do agree that it's best to be honest with him. He hasn't condemned me for being honest at least.

Thanks for your response.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,331,756 times
Quote:
Well, Plain and Simple, you preached at me (great, thanks ) - didn't need, or want, that.
I disagree with a lot that you said.
That's all I have to say.
You asked a question on a public forum. I answered it. I didn't preach. I explained WHY I said WHAT I did using the scriptures as my source FOR the information. (i.e., to show people reading that it's not just my opinion.)

You claimed you couldn't imagine going through things without God, admit a fractured relationship with Him, and yet you roll your eyes at what His word says? No wonder unbelievers are confused by people who claim to be Christians.

You can disagree all you want. I was showing a kindness in trying to help you understand the answer to the question that you asked.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,178,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
When tragedy and pain occurs in people's lives, they usually ask God, "Why?" It's a natural response. But, what people are really asking isn't "Why?" but "Why me?"

There are two problems with that. First, God never promised that life would be easy yet so many people operate under the impression that He did and that God should prevent tragedy from happening to us. When He doesn't, they get angry.

Second, when we do not understand the extent of God’s sovereignty, we lose confidence in His ability to control circumstances, other people, and the way they affect us. Then we get angry with God because He seems to have lost control of the universe and especially control of our lives. We lose faith in God’s sovereignty because our frail human flesh is struggling with our own frustration and our lack of control over things that happen. When good things happen, we're quick to attribute it to our own achievements and success. When bad things happen, however, we're quick to blame God (or others), and we get angry with Him for not preventing it, which goes back to the first flaw in our thinking -- that we deserve to be immune to tragedy, pain, hardship, loss, etc.

Everything that happens is either caused by or allowed by God. Matthew 10:29-31 says that not a sparrow falls to the ground nor a hair from our head without God knowing about it. We can complain, get angry, and and blame God for what's happening. But if we will trust Him and yield our bitterness and pain to Him, acknowledging the prideful sin of trying to force our own will over His, He can and will grant us His peace and strength to get us through any difficult situation according to 1 Corinthians 10:13. Many believers, including myself, can bear witness to that very fact. We can be angry with God for many reasons, so we all have to accept at some point that there are things we cannot control or even understand with our finite minds.

The practical, "How do I put this answer into practice in my life?" answer is this: When bad circumstances or tragedy strikes, it's important to remember that God is in control, He still loves you, He knows your pain, and that He'll bring you through it IF you'll allow Him to. Immediately confess the anger and disappointment and let it go. It's a natural reaction, yes, but the root of it is PRIDE. God sees the Big Picture, you don't. Realize that God knows better than you do and TRUST Him.

And, as is the purpose of the OP's initial post -- PRAISE HIM! OFTEN! IN THE MIDST OF EVERYTHING! Lack of praise and worship (which is more than just singing songs) is the cause for a lot of defeat in the life of Christians. Anger at God is the inability or unwillingness to trust God even when we don't understand what He's doing. Being angry at God is nothing less than telling God that He's done something wrong, which He never does. Does God understand when we're angry, frustrated, or disappointed with Him? Yes, He knows our hearts and He knows how difficult and painful life in this world can be. (Especially in these last moments of the last days.) Does that make it right to be angry with God? Absolutely not. Instead of being angry with God, we should pour out our hearts to God in prayer and then trust that He is in control and that His plan is perfect.
Great post.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
You asked a question on a public forum. I answered it. I didn't preach. I explained WHY I said WHAT I did using the scriptures as my source FOR the information. (i.e., to show people reading that it's not just my opinion.)

You claimed you couldn't imagine going through things without God, admit a fractured relationship with Him, and yet you roll your eyes at what His word says? No wonder unbelievers are confused by people who claim to be Christians.

You can disagree all you want. I was showing a kindness in trying to help you understand the answer to the question that you asked.
That's not kindness, especially your second post.
I'm so glad that YOU aren't God.
People may roll their eyes at YOU, for you seem judgemental, self-righteous, preachy, and harsh.
Let's end this now, shall we? There's no need for us to "communicate" any longer.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 PM

32,525 posts, read 32,899,426 times
Quote:
[color=purple]
Good question! Truly.

Anyone who tells you they know is either lying or delusional. Why things happen is the great mystery of life. And there is nothing wrong with wondering about why truly awful stuff happens to us. Or wondering why truly wonderful stuff happens to us. That's why people go on pilgrimages and meditate and seek out gurus and paint cathedral ceilings and drop acid and cut all their hair off. We are ALL seeking the answer to that. Anyone who isn't is half-dead, IMHO.

Personally, I trust God to know what's best for me. But I still look up and say, "But why?" And not just for me but for all of us. Why does a chunk of plaster fall on the great guy coming home from serving the poor and leave his wife and three kids without the person they love? (First question I ask when I get to the Pearly Gates. I'm assuming there will be hordes of us asking the same thing. )

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-31-2013 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity