Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:05 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times

Advertisements

To me the Bible is clear that as employees we are to honor our employers. We are also obligated to contracts we sign.

So if I work for a company as a member of a union and am reasonably well paid with good benefits (not that it matters) and the union calls for a general strike, do I honor my employer and cross the line or honor the contract I signed with the union?

Just curious.

BYW, I will not be able to monitor this very closely, but I will get back when I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:21 PM

154 posts, read 209,245 times
Well, we do have to honor the contracts we made. But you made a contract with your employer as well, if you had to fill out and sign a work application, and he/she is the reason you are working right now.

In this situation, I would side with the employer...UNLESS the reasons for the strike are very Biblically sound, as in this matter the employer is morally wrong and you as a Christian cannot support it.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylightMike231 View Post
Well, we do have to honor the contracts we made. But you made a contract with your employer as well, if you had to fill out and sign a work application, and he/she is the reason you are working right now.

In this situation, I would side with the employer...UNLESS the reasons for the strike are very Biblically sound, as in this matter the employer is morally wrong and you as a Christian cannot support it.
And I think I agree with this.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:

This is a good response. Christians are supposed to be obedient to the authorities God has placed over them in their lives, be it the government, their employers, etc. However, there is not an obligation to be obedient to them if they are being disobedient to God.

I guess you would have to determine whether God would be pleased with the reason and purpose for the strike or not.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
This is a good response. Christians are supposed to be obedient to the authorities God has placed over them in their lives, be it the government, their employers, etc. However, there is not an obligation to be obedient to them if they are being disobedient to God.

I guess you would have to determine whether God would be pleased with the reason and purpose for the strike or not.
This all came up as a friend of mine is in a similar position. He is well paid... but the union wants more and he is opting to stand by the union and is rather militant about it, so I thought I'd see what anyone else might think.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:17 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
This all came up as a friend of mine is in a similar position. He is well paid... but the union wants more and he is opting to stand by the union and is rather militant about it, so I thought I'd see what anyone else might think.

The agreement was made with the union, the union represents the employee and negotiates with the employer...The employer is well aware of his/her obligations according to the contract with the union...If the employers bulks all of a sudden it is the unions job to protect the interests of those it represents...Until big business learns how to deal fairly with the little man, unions will continue to be a neccessary evil...

Old 08-06-2013, 04:45 AM

154 posts, read 209,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
If he is already well-paid and they are wanting more money without costs of living going up, then that is just being greedy if you ask me, and an unjustifiable cause for a strike. If that is the case, I would most definitely side with the employer.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
If he is already well-paid and they are wanting more money without costs of living going up, then that is just being greedy if you ask me, and an unjustifiable cause for a strike. If that is the case, I would most definitely side with the employer.

Then when the union won he would lose his job because he scabbed...

Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM

796 posts, read 858,684 times
I choose to not join the union where I work. Make the same money and have the same benefits as any union member. So why pay dues?

Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
I choose to not join the union where I work. Make the same money and have the same benefits as any union member. So why pay dues?
Because those are the people who got you your benefits? Do you think that if the union collapsed your boss would continue the pay and benefits they got for you? "There is no free lunch"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity