Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:34 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes . . . because the Holy Spirit IS the consciousness of God . . . Agape Love. God IS Agape Love. Jesus perfected Agape Love within His human consciousness . . . even through scourging and crucifixion by our savage ancestors . . . because they "knew not what they did," When He died and was "born again" as Spirit His Holy Spirit (Comforter) became a permanent part of human consciousness. That is how He abides with us within our consciousness and will guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts."
This is fine and true Mystic but it does not address the issue of Trinity or not. The "we will come to him" means in part what you said about consciousness of God but also consciousness of the Son and of the Holy Spirit also. Not that they are three Gods but abide as the one God who He can be thought of [conscious of] their respective roles and names as described in Scripture. Seeing that this is so, baptizing in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is good to do regardless of whether Matthew 28:19 is part of the original Scriptures or not because Jesus said "We".

If some want to baptize in the name Jesus only, I see no problem as Peter said, ACTS 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Some do not even baptize as Paul did not at times but left that for others to do. The point is that there are many ways to do things and that depends on what God would have us do for the circumstance. Too many think that by using one Scripture they have all the Truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 06:27 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes . . . because the Holy Spirit IS the consciousness of God . . . Agape Love. God IS Agape Love. Jesus perfected Agape Love within His human consciousness . . . even through scourging and crucifixion by our savage ancestors . . . because they "knew not what they did," When He died and was "born again" as Spirit His Holy Spirit (Comforter) became a permanent part of human consciousness. That is how He abides with us within our consciousness and will guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts."

How do you combat science?...

Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
I am aware of Matt. 28:19 controversy but that also even if rejected by me or others has no bearing on the fact that all through out Scripture God refers to Himself as us/we and yet the one and only God.

JN 14:23 "Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love Me, he will keep My words: and My Father will love him, and We will come unto him, and make Our abode with him." And how will They do that? By the Holy Spirit of coarse.
RESPONSE:

Let me quote this one more time. Read if carefully and you'll find that the use of the plural but still meaning one is a common practice when important persons are involved.

Majestic plural - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The majestic plural (pluralis maiestatis in Latin, literally, "the plural of majesty"), is the use of a plural pronoun to refer to a single person holding a high office, such as a monarch, bishop, or pope. It is also called the royal pronoun, the royal "we" or the Victorian "we". The more general word for the use of we to refer to oneself is nosism. However the use as majestic plural (to denote the excellence, power, and dignity of the person who speaks or writes) is the most common one."

You would also be wise to look up how Aramaic and Hebrew use the plural.

And of course, did Hebrews ever regard the use of the plural regarding God to mean more than one God?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Let me quote this one more time. Read if carefully and you'll find that the use of the plural but still meaning one is a common practice when important persons are involved.

Majestic plural - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The majestic plural (pluralis maiestatis in Latin, literally, "the plural of majesty"), is the use of a plural pronoun to refer to a single person holding a high office, such as a monarch, bishop, or pope. It is also called the royal pronoun, the royal "we" or the Victorian "we". The more general word for the use of we to refer to oneself is nosism. However the use as majestic plural (to denote the excellence, power, and dignity of the person who speaks or writes) is the most common one."

You would also be wise to look up how Aramaic and Hebrew use the plural.

And of course, did Hebrews ever regard the use of the plural regarding God to mean more than one God?
RESPONSE:
secular wisdom looks to Wikipedia, which God's pov of that is:
For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will
frustrate.” Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher
of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
Godly wisdom looks to God's Word ... re-read post #1

The true children of God believe because of the Holy Spirit makes it known to them.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
RESPONSE:
For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will
frustrate.” Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher

The true children of God believe because of the Holy Spirit makes it known to them.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
RESPONSE:

RESPONSE:

It is important that our conclusions be correct, not that they are the product of someone's belief system.

I would say that 2 + 2 =4

Even if you were to tell us that scripture says 2 + 2 = 5

In short,

Faith and rationality are two ideologies that exist in varying degrees of conflict or compatibility. Rationality is based on reason or evidence. Faith is belief in inspiration, revelation, or authority. The word faith generally refers to a belief that is held with lack of, in spite of or against reason and evidence.

Faith and rationality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But feel free to believe, for example, that 2 + 2 = 5 if that's how you interprete scripture and it makes you feel good even if contrary to the overwhelming evidence.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

>>The true children of God believe because of the Holy Spirit makes it known to them.<<

RESPONSE:

Most people who think they hear the voice of the Holy Spirit are really only hearing their own voice, but it makes them feel good, even if it's sometimes contrary to reason and factual analysis.

In extreme cases, this can be delusional.

In fact, most have never considered the validity of the evidence.

What's wrong with this argument.

Question: How do you know that God really exists?

Answer: The Bible says so. Therefore, it must be true.

Question: How do you know that the Bible is always correct?

Answer: The Bible says that it is.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
The Bible itself says, “Stephen, filled with the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at God’s right hand. ‘Look! I can see heaven thrown open,’ he said, ‘and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God.’”—Acts 7:55,56 The New Jerusalem Bible. What did this vision reveal? Filled with God’s active force, Stephen saw Jesus “standing at God’s right hand.” Clearly, then, Jesus did not become God again after his resurrection to heaven but, rather, a distinct spiritual being. There is no mention of a third person next to God in this account. Despite attempts to find passages of Scripture to support the Trinity dogma, Dominican priest Marie-Émile Boismard wrote in his book À l’aube du christianisme—La naissance des dogmes [At the Dawn of Christianity—The Birth of Dogmas]: “The statement that there are three persons in the one God . . . cannot be read anywhere in the New Testament.”

Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

It is important that our conclusions be correct, not that they are the product of someone's belief system.

I would say that 2 + 2 =4

Even if you were to tell us that scripture says 2 + 2 = 5

In short,

Faith and rationality are two ideologies that exist in varying degrees of conflict or compatibility. Rationality is based on reason or evidence. Faith is belief in inspiration, revelation, or authority. The word faith generally refers to a belief that is held with lack of, in spite of or against reason and evidence.

Faith and rationality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But feel free to believe, for example, that 2 + 2 = 5 if that's how you interprete scripture and it makes you feel good even if contrary to the overwhelming evidence.
in short ...The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Faith is to believe in what you can not see, therefore to attempt to rationalize way the existence of Triune God is to prove one is not a child of God nor has the true faith.

post #1

Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
The Bible itself says, “Stephen, filled with the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at God’s right hand. ‘Look! I can see heaven thrown open,’ he said, ‘and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God.’”—Acts 7:55,56 The New Jerusalem Bible. What did this vision reveal? Filled with God’s active force, Stephen saw Jesus “standing at God’s right hand.” Clearly, then, Jesus did not become God again after his resurrection to heaven but, rather, a distinct spiritual being. There is no mention of a third person next to God in this account. Despite attempts to find passages of Scripture to support the Trinity dogma, Dominican priest Marie-Émile Boismard wrote in his book À l’aube du christianisme—La naissance des dogmes [At the Dawn of Christianity—The Birth of Dogmas]: “The statement that there are three persons in the one God . . . cannot be read anywhere in the New Testament.”
The Bible itself says ( post #1) on how it is taught .... wanton skeptics don't hear and read... and wanton skeptics can't. 1 Corinthians 2:14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity