Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
First off, how can suicide be unforgivable?
It isn't. Nor does the Church teach that. I think you may have either misunderstood or been misinformed.

Quote:
What is this nonsense about mortal and venial sins?
So lying to your mom about who you were hanging out with at the mall and murdering 6 million people hold the same moral weight? I don't think you really believe that. No, sin is not all the same, nor does the Bible teach that. See I John 5:16-17.

Quote:
Why do I have to go to a priest to repent my mortal sins? Why will I be condemned to hell if I leave the catholic church?
Very good questions. But it's a complicated answer. One I don't suggest you solicit on a messageboard. Go have an open and honest talk with a good priest, or check out the Catechism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 02:37 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
When you are Born anew in the Spirit of Christ , then the sins of the past are Gone , and Jesus forgave and forgot them , so believers are called to let them go and never remember the sin of the past or do that sin again , but if your get the sin in your face again , Believers are called repent to Lord Jesus , and ask forgiveness of sins and let it go , and if the sin come back again Believers are called to rebuke the dark spirit in Jesus name and plead the blood of Jesus , where Jesus Spirit will rip the dark spirit out of believers face ................. You do not have to go to a Priest , or the Church to be redeemed of sin , when you are born Spiritually anew in the Spirit of Christ ............... If you do not believe in the church where you go , then just ignore the divisions and let it go , or if you complain about the church where you go you will attract the dark spirit of antichrist , which you do not need to be sure ..........., as Jesus if abiding in the anointed in Christ in your Church and it would be blaspheme to Jesus if you have divisions in your heart , ............So you must let it go or forgive the old Church to Jesus and try and different Church , and You will not loose your salvation in other churches which have Lord Jesus Spirit , and a witness of Holy Spirit and teach the gospel of Christ ...

Old 08-26-2013, 03:57 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
^ The thing is.. I don't really agree with Protestantism also. I believe in the CC in most things, however I disagree with it on many others. I think I may just become a free lance Christian lol..
If by "free lance", you mean no church, I advise against that. We all need others to serve alongside us. "As iron sharpens iron..."

Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
I am 20 years old and have grown up as a Catholic my whole life. While I don't really care for the religion all that much anymore, I still believe in the trinity, Jesus CHrist etc etc..

However there are many things I disagree with the church about...

First off, how can suicide be unforgivable? The bible clearly states that the one unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the holy spirit.

What is this nonsense about mortal and venial sins? I am pretty sure the bible does not give any backing towards this illogical concept. Isn't sin all the same? I think it's absurd that someone who believes in Christ and tries to serve him to the best of his/her abilities will be sent to hell if they die with unrepented mortal sins. For example, if there is a man who has been a somewhat good Catholic all his life but falls into the dark side for a while and dies...
What sends people to their damnation is unbelief. Like other organs and parts of the body, the brain can also malfunction. Therefore there is no one set answer since God purposefully doesn't provide an answer to every scenario of the source that mental illness can be caused by a suicide.

With that being understood there are only six recorded cases of suicide in the Bible
Abimelech (Judges 9:52-54),
Saul (1 Samuel 31:4)
Saul's armor-bearer (1 Samuel 31:5)
Ahithophel (2 Samuel 17:23)
Zimri (1 Kings 16:15-20)
Judas Iscariot (Matthew 27:3-5

These examples of suicide are spoken of people who is not attributed to having faith when they committed suicide.

Most suicides are done out of an act of despair and\or unbelief, which forfeits salvation. Yes there are factors that can lead one to suicide that the case can be made that it was not a conscience choice, situations like mental illness from various causes, drugs, a sudden compulsion.

Most will argue that Sampson committed suicide .. and that would be not accurate.
Quote:
Is he sent to hell because (for example) he beat his wife? Or had sex with a prostitute?
What sends people to their damnation is unbelief.
God has always revealed that:
Isaiah 55:7 Let the wicked forsake their ways and the unrighteous their thoughts.
Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

Quote:
Why do I have to go to a priest to repent my mortal sins? Why will I be condemned to hell if I leave the catholic church?
Ah ... that is one of the many false teachings that has the RCC positioning itself in-between the direct special relationship between you and God.

When the temple curtain was torn in two at Jesus' death, that was a visible sign that there is no longer the need for the High Priest to be the inter-mediatory for the forgiveness of sins.

Would you go to hell for leaving ... on the contrary. Jesus said:
John 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Anytime you hear that a church organization is required to be able to get to heaven, such church is usurping itself as equal to or greater than Jesus.

Belonging to such a church is in fact very dangerous to your soul.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 PM

794 posts, read 846,222 times
Quote:
I am 20 years old and have grown up as a Catholic my whole life. While I don't really care for the religion all that much anymore, I still believe in the trinity, Jesus CHrist etc etc..

However there are many things I disagree with the church about...

First off, how can suicide be unforgivable? The bible clearly states that the one unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the holy spirit.

What is this nonsense about mortal and venial sins? I am pretty sure the bible does not give any backing towards this illogical concept. Isn't sin all the same? I think it's absurd that someone who believes in Christ and tries to serve him to the best of his/her abilities will be sent to hell if they die with unrepented mortal sins. For example, if there is a man who has been a somewhat good Catholic all his life but falls into the dark side for a while and dies... Is he sent to hell because (for example) he beat his wife? Or had sex with a prostitute?

You made the right decision to not believe in Catholicism anymore. Everything you have been taught in this heretical religion is a lie. You are saved by grace and by grace alone. This is something the catholic church will never tell you because they do not believe what the bible says.

Keep Romans 5:19 close to your heart, as well as John 3:16.

Romans 5:19 "By one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous."

It is Jesus' obedience that has made us righteous. This is not taught in the catholic church. They believe you must earn your salvation and teach you can lose it at any time. They believe you can somehow be unborn again and this is not spoken of in the bible at all. It is impossible to be unborn again once you are born again. The catholic church has perverted the gospel and fed lies to everyone who has ever been part of it.

Here are a few clips from sermons I believe you will find very comforting. Joseph Prince preaches the gospel in its context.

Joseph Prince - Jesus' Righteousness Is Greater Than Adam's Sin - 19 Aug 12 - YouTube

Joseph Prince - Imperfect Faith Not A Barrier to God's Grace - 22 Jul 2012 - YouTube

Joseph Prince - The Battle For Your Mind - 27 Nov 11 - YouTube

You can visit His channel to watch more videos. He uploads a new one every week and also uploads free audio and video podcasts of his sermons on iTunes weekly.

I give thanks to Jesus for showing you the truth.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:09 AM

18 posts, read 14,576 times
The problem with suicide is that it is classed as murder because the life you took was not yours to take, it did not belong to you - it belonged to God from whom it came in the first place.

A further problem is that for our sins to be washed away by the blood of Jesus, we must repent and ask God to forgive us but after you die you face God in judgement, which means it is too late to repent.

Asking God to forgive you immediately before you commit suicide would not work either because there was no repentance, if you had repented then you would not have gone ahead with it and there is no forgiveness without genuine repentance.

Seems to me there is a real catch 22 here.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:31 AM

794 posts, read 846,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacetrav View Post
The problem with suicide is that it is classed as murder because the life you took was not yours to take, it did not belong to you - it belonged to God from whom it came in the first place.

A further problem is that for our sins to be washed away by the blood of Jesus, we must repent and ask God to forgive us but after you die you face God in judgement, which means it is too late to repent.

Asking God to forgive you immediately before you commit suicide would not work either because there was no repentance, if you had repented then you would not have gone ahead with it and there is no forgiveness without genuine repentance.

Seems to me there is a real catch 22 here.
Do not believe these lies. Once you are born again by believing Jesus Christ is the Son of God who died for your sins you are forgiven of all your sins, past present and future. The Christian life is a life of rest in the finished work of Christ not a life of constant repentance. The Holy Spirit comes inside you when you are born again and guides you. He corrects you when you do wrong.

Acts 17:11 Bible Study: The Discipline of The Lord

Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Martin Luther came to the same conclusions you did. He started, by accident, the Protestant reformation. Keep studying the Bible, and the HOly Spirit will lead you into all truth.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Do not believe these lies. Once you are born again by believing Jesus Christ is the Son of God who died for your sins you are forgiven of all your sins, past present and future. The Christian life is a life of rest in the finished work of Christ not a life of constant repentance. The Holy Spirit comes inside you when you are born again and guides you. He corrects you when you do wrong.

Acts 17:11 Bible Study: The Discipline of The Lord
Wow! So all I have to do is become born again? Then I can do whatever I want. Sins of the future are forgivin?

I love how people think the RCC is heretic but think that login like this is valid. What a crock!

Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
You made the right decision to not believe in Catholicism anymore. Everything you have been taught in this heretical religion is a lie. You are saved by grace and by grace alone. This is something the catholic church will never tell you because they do not believe what the bible says.

Keep Romans 5:19 close to your heart, as well as John 3:16.

Romans 5:19 "By one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous."

It is Jesus' obedience that has made us righteous. This is not taught in the catholic church. They believe you must earn your salvation and teach you can lose it at any time. They believe you can somehow be unborn again and this is not spoken of in the bible at all. It is impossible to be unborn again once you are born again. The catholic church has perverted the gospel and fed lies to everyone who has ever been part of it.

Here are a few clips from sermons I believe you will find very comforting. Joseph Prince preaches the gospel in its context.

Joseph Prince - Jesus' Righteousness Is Greater Than Adam's Sin - 19 Aug 12 - YouTube

Joseph Prince - Imperfect Faith Not A Barrier to God's Grace - 22 Jul 2012 - YouTube

Joseph Prince - The Battle For Your Mind - 27 Nov 11 - YouTube

You can visit His channel to watch more videos. He uploads a new one every week and also uploads free audio and video podcasts of his sermons on iTunes weekly.

I give thanks to Jesus for showing you the truth.

So you worship Joseph Prince?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity