Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 AM

535 posts, read 962,822 times

Advertisements

Matthew 28:18-20
King James Version (KJV)

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Known as the Great Commission (duh, right?), these and similar verses in the other Gospels are clear in their direction. Yet, I have always struggled with how to fulfill them.

What are some ways or recommendations you have for fulfilling the Great Commission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 03:00 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,336,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
King James Version (KJV)

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Known as the Great Commission (duh, right?), these and similar verses in the other Gospels are clear in their direction. Yet, I have always struggled with how to fulfill them.

What are some ways or recommendations you have for fulfilling the Great Commission?
These verses in Matthew 28 are very interesting.
We read that Jesus said to baptize in the name of Father Son and Holy Ghost. Yet in the book of Acts, they were baptizing in the name of Jesus. What this is telling me can only be two things:

1) the early church didn't follow Jesus' command correctly, or
2) the name of Jesus is now used to indicate all three.
Personally, I believe the second understanding is more correct. People were told of Jesus, and having faith in the name of Jesus brought healing and True Freedom.
We also read in several places in scripture, that God is our Savior. If God is our Savior, and Jesus is our Savior, then Jesus can truly be called God (unless there are two Saviors).

So the message of the "great commission" is Jesus. What he taught to the people, we are to share with others: love thy neighbor, love God with all thine heart, treat others as you want to be treated, give to those who ask, etc.

There are also many Christians who say that we should preach hellfire and eternal torment, seeing that Jesus spoke of hell and judgment and punishment. However, the early church didn't preach these things. They preached Jesus and God's message of reconciliation. That's it.

Peace.
brian

Old 09-02-2013, 06:02 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,030,369 times
Lead by example. Most people don't want to hear your religious beliefs. Let your light (confidence) shine and don't hide it under a basket.
When you follow the liberal Teachings of Jesus Christ, you will show the world how great He actually was, instead of the false way that conservatives have portrayed Him to the world - Treat everyone with the respect that you would want for yourself, with equality and dignity, even the people who mean to harm you.
If a person punches you in the face, let him punch your other cheek.
If a person forces you to walk a mile, choose to walk a second mile.
If a person takes your "coat", offer him your "shirt" also.
Love your enemies.

Far too many "Christians" think that Jesus Christ has given us permission to solve all of our problems using guns. Jesus Christ NEVER owned or used a weapon, and neither should any of His followers. Being Christ-like IS the definition of the word Christianity but not enough people actually like His words so they make up their own, which far too often are the complete opposite of what Jesus said and then proclaim themselves to be "Christian".

How does a person, who doesn't even like His words, call themselves Christian?

Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,657,432 times
Default What are some ways or recommendations you have for fulfilling the Great Commission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Lead by example. Most people don't want to hear your religious beliefs. Let your light (confidence) shine and don't hide it under a basket.

When you follow the liberal Teachings of Jesus Christ, you will show the world how great He actually was, instead of the false way that conservatives have portrayed Him to the world - Treat everyone with the respect that you would want for yourself, with equality and dignity, even the people who mean to harm you.
If a person punches you in the face, let him punch your other cheek.
If a person forces you to walk a mile, choose to walk a second mile.
If a person takes your "coat", offer him your "shirt" also.
Love your enemies.
I believe and totally agree with you...."Treat everyone with the respect that you would want for yourself, with equality and dignity, even the people who mean to harm you."
.... is the greatest example of what our Lord would have us to be. Actually when Christ is your Lord, He is and has become so much of your nature and there should not be a pause in ones thoughts in how, what, when in dealing and deciding what one should do as you mentioned....

"If a person punches you in the face, let him punch your other cheek."
"If a person forces you to walk a mile, choose to walk a second mile."
"If a person takes your "coat", offer him your "shirt" also".

"Love your enemies."

...... it truly becomes a automatic reaction in our lives to do as the Lord would do, as the Spirit is the One in whom is in control of our hearts, our complete nature in this life, amen !!

~When Christ is our life everything about us should reflect His nature to the world around us !!~

And yes, sometimes it is not easy to love our enemies as they are against what our Lord Jesus represents and our love, passion for our Lord can tempt us, our emotions in wanting to react in ways that are not pleasing unto our God and do not represent our God, amen
Yet, when one has learned and come to that place to trust the Lord God with all their hearts and to lean not on our own understanding by praying, walking away, turning the other cheek, whatever, our God will definitely direct our path in showing us and giving us the way of escape to come out from under the temptation to not react in the flesh, so that we may acted upon the Spirit in showing that "respect," "equality," and "dignity," God's love.

And the reward that comes to our hearts of His peace, comfort is such a blessing by giving our enemy over to the Lord and rest in Him and His LOVE, amen !

Quote:
Far too many "Christians" think that Jesus Christ has given us permission to solve all of our problems using guns. Jesus Christ NEVER owned or used a weapon, and neither should any of His followers. Being Christ-like IS the definition of the word Christianity but not enough people actually like His words so they make up their own, which far too often are the complete opposite of what Jesus said and then proclaim themselves to be "Christian".
I don't know in your statement about, "Many Christians think that Jesus Christ has given us permission to solve all of our problems using guns," as I have not come across this type of character in my walk with the Lord, yet, I'm not saying there are not those who do believe this.

You are correct that "not enough people actually like His words so they make up their own."
I have greatly experience this in this forum. And yes, I don't know where they get such stuff it is totally opposite of what our Lord Jesus proclaim and yes they seem to believe it makes them Christians. But as you stated a "Christian" means "Christ-likeness"..... and some of this belief that is taught and proclaimed around here and especially the behavior displayed along with such teachings it is so anti-christ.
One can discern that truly our Lord Jesus is/has no part of it..... amen!!

Quote:
How does a person, who doesn't even like His words, call themselves Christian?
I don't understand either yet we know and discern through knowing the Lord Jesus.... that they have been deceived and the mind and heart are veiled to the truth of God, possibly due to their unbelief and denying His word, God's truth and have believed the lies. As God says in Romans they have exchanged the truth for the lie and He has handed them over to their ways.....
Worshiping the created (flesh) rather then the Creator !!

Yet we are to obey Matthew 28:18-20 (KJV)

And move on and leave those who want to continuously reject God's word and go where God sends us to those who are ready, willing, to hear the good news of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, amen !!

Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. 38 Therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest.” Matt. 9:37-38

There are many, many in whom are ready to hear and the Lord is ready to harvest for His eternal kingdom !!

Blessings to you !!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:04 AM

37,336 posts, read 28,076,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
King James Version (KJV)

By the reality of Christ in our Life.

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid

Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,965,887 times
St. Francis of Assisi said it best: "Preach the Gospel at all times, sometimes even using words."

That is the crux of the modern problem facing Christianity. Because if we all simply lived our lives in conformity with Christ's teachings, then our actions would do all the preaching necessary to bring the world around to us.

The essential problem with the militant fundamentalists is that they seem far more intent of pushing Christianity into the lives of the unchurched through efforts such as prayer in schools, rather than trusting people to observe the lives they lead and want to know more. I mean, heck, all you have to do is look at the number of televangelists who have been busted for outrages large and small to see that there is a fundamental contradiction between the words they preach and the lives they lead. The same is true of the Roman Catholic church's inexcusable coverup of child molesters. Or the Westboro Baptist flakes who picket the funerals of dead soldiers sent home from overseas for burial.

We can all say, "But they don't represent Christianity." Yet, to outsiders, the televangelists, the guilty within the Catholic church and the Westboro Baptists ARE Christianity.

So do your work quietly. If someone asks, then treat that as an opportunity to communicate God's love and grace. For Christ Himself told us in John 13:35, "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples if you love one another."

Old 09-02-2013, 02:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,093,665 times
It means what it says.....that we are to go forth and tell people who Jesus is, what he did for us, and how to follow him. New believers are to be baptized.

Yes...that means we may actually use words.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:49 PM

63,455 posts, read 39,704,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It means what it says.....that we are to go forth and tell people who Jesus is, what he did for us, and how to follow him. New believers are to be baptized.

Yes...that means we may actually use words.
I assume you are aware that Matthew 28:19 was also falsified to add doctrinal preferences? The original was always in the following form: ‘Go ye and make disciples of all the nations in My name, teaching them to observe all things, whatsoever I commanded you.’ . . . this is all about DOING what He commanded His disciples to do . . . "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. Notice there is nothing about believing any particular dogma or "precepts and doctrines of men," nothing in particular about baptism and nothing specifying in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Since you are not bothered by other falsifications . . . I assume you will not be concerned by these either.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-02-2013 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 04:07 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,093,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I assume you are aware that Matthew 28:19 was also falsified to add doctrinal preferences? The original was always in the following form: ‘Go ye and make disciples of all the nations in My name, teaching them to observe all things, whatsoever I commanded you.’ . . . this is all about DOING what He commanded His disciples to do . . . "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. Notice there is nothing about believing any particular dogma or "precepts and doctrines of men," nothing in particular about baptism and nothing specifying in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Since you are not bothered by other falsifications . . . I assume you will not be concerned by these either.
What did the apostles do? Did they just show up on a scene and start telling people to behave right? Or did they actually tell people who Jesus is? It's all part of that "make disciples of all nations" thing.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:49 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,846,452 times
It means being a part of a church that preaches and teaches God's word clearly and accurately.
It means contributing to evangelism efforts.
It means inviting people to come and hear the good news of salvation.
I means learning to give a witness if the opportunity presents itself and you can share your faith.

Any and all of these are part of carrying that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity