Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:08 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times

Advertisements

Finally!

Protestant Mary - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Liar: Martin Luther did not have any devotion to Mary. I've read lots of his stuff and only mentions her when in the context of the scripture he is preaching about. No reason to pray to Mary or sing her praises anymore than we do to Paul, Peter, Moses or Elijah. God gets all the praise and devotion and that's the way it should. be.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Liar: Martin Luther did not have any devotion to Mary. I've read lots of his stuff and only mentions her when in the context of the scripture he is preaching about. No reason to pray to Mary or sing her praises anymore than we do to Paul, Peter, Moses or Elijah. God gets all the praise and devotion and that's the way it should. be.
The Southern Baptists preacher in the video confirms your views. The preacher states that in the quest to reject Catholicism Protestants have gone way to far in their disdain for the Blessed Virgin.

Nevertheless, it was gratifying to see Protestants singing songs about Mary and even having images of the virgin in their churches. I thought that was very nice, a great gesture.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:40 AM

794 posts, read 846,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The Southern Baptists preacher in the video confirms your views. The preacher states that in the quest to reject Catholicism Protestants have gone way to far in their disdain for the Blessed Virgin.

Nevertheless, it was gratifying to see Protestants singing songs about Mary and even having images of the virgin in their churches. I thought that was very nice, a great gesture.
Protestants do not keep Mary out of their church or acknowledgment. We keep the deity Mary, worship of Mary and prayer to Mary out of the churches and acknowledgment.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:21 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Biblical believers believe in the virgin birth , which is the Immaculate Conception of Jesus Christ , which came through God`s Spirit , and Jesus became the only begotten Son of God , and not in any way from the seed of the virgin Mary ,....See many Protestant do confess the Apostles Creed , which states that `Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit , born of the virgin Mary `,......See actually the manifestations of the Virgin Mary was brought to earth by the Holy Spirit as prophecies by Lord Jesus and His sacrifices for the Works of Christ , as Virgin Mary brings honor to Jesus and His purpose ,....... And the same virgin birth of Christ gives a point of contact for Holy Spirit bringing the New creation of the Born again in the Spirit of God to all believers through Lord Jesus Christ..... Holy Spirit and Virgin Mary are not to be worshiped but veneration in their work

Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Biblical believers believe in the virgin birth , which is the Immaculate Conception of Jesus Christ , which came through God`s Spirit , and Jesus became the only begotten Son of God , and not in any way from the seed of the virgin Mary ,....See many Protestant do confess the Apostles Creed , which states that `Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit , born of the virgin Mary `,......See actually the manifestations of the Virgin Mary was brought to earth by the Holy Spirit as prophecies by Lord Jesus and His sacrifices for the Works of Christ , as Virgin Mary brings honor to Jesus and His purpose ,....... And the same virgin birth of Christ gives a point of contact for Holy Spirit bringing the New creation of the Born again in the Spirit of God to all believers through Lord Jesus Christ..... Holy Spirit and Virgin Mary are not to be worshiped but veneration in their work
The virgin is not God and hence is not worshiped. However, the virgin knew Jesus like no one else did. SHe also had Jesus in her womb and was chosen by God. The Virgin Mary is therefore special and within the Catholic religion it is perfectly accepted to have prayers to the Virgin to further communicate with Christ. Lastly, the Virgin is part of Christianity. Just go to Europe and tour the old churches and museums. The Virgin and the baby Jesus are everywhere.

I know Protestants say it is idolatry. They also say why not pray directly to God. But, in the end this are simply lame reasons to be anticatholic. That is clearly stated in the video.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:16 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
I have no problem whatsoever with giving her respect, and realizing that God blessed her greatly. But the language that the Catholic church uses regarding Mary, calling her the Queen of Heaven, Mediatrix, Co-Rdemptrix, etc, and directing prayer toward her is too much. We have direct access to Jesus -- we don't need to go through her to get to him. I realize they don't believe they are praying to Mary in the same way as God, but I'm sorry....it's just too much.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:17 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The virgin is not God and hence is not worshiped. However, the virgin knew Jesus like no one else did. SHe also had Jesus in her womb and was chosen by God. The Virgin Mary is therefore special and within the Catholic religion it is perfectly accepted to have prayers to the Virgin to further communicate with Christ. Lastly, the Virgin is part of Christianity. Just go to Europe and tour the old churches and museums. The Virgin and the baby Jesus are everywhere.

I know Protestants say it is idolatry. They also say why not pray directly to God. But, in the end this are simply lame reasons to be anticatholic. That is clearly stated in the video.
I firmly believe she was a virgin at the time of Jesus' birth...but do you believe Mary remained a virgin? If so, why? Does it affect your faith in any way whether she remained a virgin or not?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
[quote=hljc;31308497]Biblical believers believe in the virgin birth , which is the Immaculate Conception of Jesus Christ , which came through God`s Spirit , and Jesus became the only begotten Son of God , and not in any way from the seed of the virgin Mary .......

The dogma of the Immaculate Conception states that Mary was conceived without sin, and has nothing to do with the virgin birth (although Joy Behar is apparently also confused about this issue)

As far as the OP topic is concerned, Marian devotion will always hold a unique place in the Roman Catholic church (and, no, we don't "pray to statues," but ask for intercession) and that is the way it should be.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I firmly believe she was a virgin at the time of Jesus' birth...but do you believe Mary remained a virgin? If so, why? Does it affect your faith in any way whether she remained a virgin or not?
Since you are a former Catholic you know Catholicism is much more than the Bible. Catholicism has to do with passed traditions as well as many other writings.

Catholicism is just a religion and therefore different from your faith which is also a religion. In the end God does not care which religion we use.

In Catholicism the Virgin is important. But, if you go to mass you will see it is all about Jesus. And the prayers simply ask the Virgin and Saints to pray for us.

I could care less if the Virgin remained a virgin or not. As I said above ----it is religion and I would never say my religion is correct and yours is wrong. Religion is man made. Yes, even the original Christian religion-------the mother church, the one that preserve Christianity for you is man made.

The issue with some Protestants is that they believe their religion is better. There is no such thing as my religion is better than yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity