Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,768,911 times

Advertisements

I am interested in joining a local Catholic parish.

First of all, I come from a charismatic protestant background. I am young and Im graduating from college soon. I am finding there are things in the christian church I don't like while there are things in the catholic parish I don't like. I am wondering though maybe a charismatic catholic group is the right mix for me?

I am wondering are some things to expect in going into catholicism. What should I expect out of the younger catholics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,464,753 times
What is your reason for joining?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I am interested in joining a local Catholic parish.

First of all, I come from a charismatic protestant background. I am young and Im graduating from college soon. I am finding there are things in the christian church I don't like while there are things in the catholic parish I don't like. I am wondering though maybe a charismatic catholic group is the right mix for me?

I am wondering are some things to expect in going into catholicism. What should I expect out of the younger catholics?
Becoming a Catholic is not the same as just joining any church as you walk through the door. You will have to spend a year in training and then have baptism, confirmation, and 1st communion during the Easter Vigil.

Unless, you are an infant. In this instance you are welcomed as a Catholic with your baptism. Otherwise, you must do the RCIA to be legit.

Quote:
A person is brought into full communion with the Catholic Church through reception of the three sacraments of Christian initiation—baptism, confirmation, and the holy Eucharist—but the process by which one becomes a Catholic can take different forms.

A person who is baptized in the Catholic Church becomes a Catholic at that moment. One’s initiation is deepened by confirmation and the Eucharist, but one becomes a Catholic at baptism. This is true for children who are baptized Catholic (and receive the other two sacraments later) and for adults who are baptized, confirmed, and receive the Eucharist at the same time.

Those who have been validly baptized outside the Church become Catholics by making a profession of the Catholic faith and being formally received into the Church. This is normally followed immediately by confirmation and the Eucharist.

Before a person is ready to be received into the Church, whether by baptism or by profession of faith, preparation is necessary. The amount and form of this preparation depends on the individual’s circumstance. The most basic division in the kind of preparation needed is between those who are unbaptized and those who have already become Christian through baptism in another church.

For adults and children who have reached the age of reason (age seven), entrance into the Church is governed by the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA), sometimes called the Order of Christian Initiation for Adults (OCIA).

PLease read about the RCIA

Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,768,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Becoming a Catholic is not the same as just joining any church as you walk through the door. You will have to spend a year in training and then have baptism, confirmation, and 1st communion during the Easter Vigil.

Unless, you are an infant. In this instance you are welcomed as a Catholic with your baptism. Otherwise, you must do the RCIA to be legit.

Seems like a good way to get some one involved in the catholic faith. You have a sponsor, seems like a mentor, and then they get you involved in the parish through functions.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:53 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,536,837 times
Catholics are Christian.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,474,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

You are right about that. I was raised in Catholicism since infancy, I was baptized as an infant, went through first communion as a child, and I did not get confirmed until I was something like 29 years old, and I still had to go through RCIA to get confirmed.

To the OP. You may prefer a Catholic parish geared toward Black-Americans. If you were in Milwaukee I could point you to a parish to go to where Call and Response are normal in the Mass. While many in that parish are from West and East Africa a good number are ethnic Black-Americans that come from a Protestant upbringing.

Personally, I was not reared in a Call and Response Mass and I don't care for them. Nonetheless, I was reared in the Mass of post-Vatican II, so, the priest always faced those in the pews and the Mass was carried out in the vernacular.

There's a reason the Mass has traditionally been solemn.

That said, the Pentecostal weren't/aren't necessarily wrong to seek and ask for the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,743,089 times
I had no idea that there was such a thing as a Charismatic Catholic. Interesting.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,137,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I had no idea that there was such a thing as a Charismatic Catholic. Interesting.
I've heard of a "cafeteria catholic" before.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:32 PM

48 posts, read 40,085 times
Hi City. I am in a Catholic group for people in their 20s and 30s and it is great. It used to have more charismatic people, but now is more traditional. The people are warm and welcoming and Catholic young adults are on fire with the holy spirit! We are like a family. Catholic young adults are generally interested in Catholic worship which is faithful to the teaching of the church and is reverent to the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. The group I belong to is called "Spirit and Truth". They are around the country. You may have one near you. We have weekly adoration of the blessed sacrament during which we sing praise and worship songs and offer up prayers. We also have time for silent adoration. We have weekly talks to learn more about our faith and monthly Mass together on the first Friday of each month. There have been many blessings through this group. Many couples have met at the group and gotten married and there are two members currently in the seminary. One will be ordained a priest next year. Before I got involved with this group I helped out with youth and young adult ministry in my diocese and helped set up "Theology on Tap" Talks. These are talks about the Catholic faith set up in restaurants or bars for young adults who are interested in learning more about the Catholic faith in a casual atmosphere with their peers. You may have these near you as well. Another good gathering is called "Catholic Underground" you may want to google this to see if it is in your area. You can also go onto your local diocesan website and look to see if they have a link to their young adult ministry. There you will find events for young adults in your local area. Here is a list of some groups around the country. God Bless.
Catholic Young Adults

Catholic Charismatic Renewal website that lists some communities
Welcome to Chariscenter USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity