Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:34 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,941,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
That is correct, by the strict definition that I see in the scriptures of what a Christian is, I would not fit that definition. I'm uncertain of who I have found that do fit that definition.

So sure, let's go on with rational reasoned debate based on facts and not fallacies.
So your not going to be quoting the Bible for me then? After all we want to deal with facts right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,041,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So your not going to be quoting the Bible for me then? After all we want to deal with facts right?
I'll quote the Bible where relevant. I have already seen that you have.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I'll quote the Bible where relevant. I have already seen that you have.
I have no problem anyone doing that as long as they don't try to portray that quote as being a fact that it is a denotation of a historical event or other wise using it as a substantiation of reality

Old 09-11-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I have no problem anyone doing that as long as they don't try to portray that quote as being a fact that it is a denotation of a historical event or other wise using it as a substantiation of reality
I'm not sure what your stating in that sentence. Which quote are you reffering to?

Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,361,548 times
"Bible based only" Christians exclude everything else about Christianity. But, I believe the primary way to spread Christianity was with the Sacred Oral Tradition. The printing press was invented in 1450 and Luther came into the picture with his Sola Scriptura a few years later.

Furthermore, the canon of the NT was put together by the RCC and now some use the NT to discredit the RCC.

It was the RCC the one that decided which boks were worthy of the NT.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,223,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Because for Catholics Tradition was there before the NT was put together. Furthermore the entirety of the Tradition cannot be put into the NT. The books of the NT send the message, but there is more to the message.

Here is how the Church views the Tradition and the NT:
See the bold
Yet, the words of the apostles directly contradict what you claim is "Tradition". I'm sorry--I'd rather believe what the apostles wrote than what your ECF wrote 200 years later.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,361,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yet, the words of the apostles directly contradict what you claim is "Tradition". I'm sorry--I'd rather believe what the apostles wrote than what your ECF wrote 200 years later.
Quote:
Sacred Tradition is the oral teaching of Jesus Christ handed down to his apostles, who in turn handed it down to their disciples (the early Church Fathers), and then to the next generation, and then finally to us. How do we know this? Well, for almost 400 years there was no written New Testament to fall back on. All of the apostles and disciples taught orally for the first 400 years. Yes, you might say, but didn't Paul, Peter, John, Luke, etc., write everything down in their epistles and gospels? Yes, they did, but none of it was widely available to geographically separated disciples and it wasn't part of "The Bible" until the Councils of Rome, Hippo, and Carthage put the 27 books of the New Testament together in 382 AD, 393 AD, and 397 AD.
To assume the early church fathers went around town with Bible in hand (like this) is highly unlikely.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what your stating in that sentence. Which quote are you reffering to?
Anyone that reflects back on the Bible as being historically accurate

Old 09-11-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Anyone that reflects back on the Bible as being historically accurate
It has great historical value. Is that even disputed?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
It has great historical value. Is that even disputed?
Pardon me?

As example let's just take the story of the exodus. Over a million people wandering around the Sinai for 40 years. One would think that they would be traces of this found? Archaeologist have attempted for years to find traces to substantiate the stories. It hasn't happened yet.

There is nothing, & I am repeat nothing, in any peer reviewed literature that indicates the Exodus happened.

And of course no one has yet answered my question regarding The Walking Dead that came out of their graves. Most people would call them zombies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity