Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:02 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times

Advertisements

Jesus said, "if you love me, keep my commandments."

Many Christians these days are quick to acknowledge that faith is part and parcel of Christianity. And most Christians will also say that evangelizing is part of the duty of Christians. Christians are also very quick to tell others that there is a hell awaiting them if they don't get their act together. (even though the early church, as indicated in the Book of Acts, didn't do this, and Jesus never told his disciples to tell people that they would go to hell.)

But what about the rest of Jesus' teachings? In particular, the "beatitudes" or "sermon on the mount of Olives?" Was it all just good rhetoric? Nice philosophy? How often are we hearing these basic commands taught today? Or are we mostly taught the prosperty doctrines and whatever else the wind blows our way?

Are we who believe in Christ able to do these "first" commands, such as turning the other cheek? Really??

Why is it, that Christians are quick to say that they follow Jesus, but are even quicker to justify themselves and men, and say that this or that command of Jesus (such as loving one's enemy) is not always necessary? It's easy to say we follow Jesus with our lips; it's not so easy in our actions and in our hearts!

In essence: How can we say that we are Christians, if we don't follow the teachings of Christ? Are we seeking to be transformed in Christ daily, into total submission to His will?

Peace.
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:57 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Excellent post. I was thinking of starting a thread myself on something like, How many of you believe in keeping the commandments concerning the 6th/7th commandment, concerning Adultery, since the Bible bans all sex acts outside the bonds of marriage?

Unfortunately, far too many Christians do think that the Gospel gives them a license to sin whenever they feel like it. I can never figure out how that's possible, except then I remember that in my experience, most Christians don't know much about what the Bible actually teaches. This also explains why they are such easy prey for the likes of Robert Shuller and Joel Osteen.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Excellent post. I was thinking of starting a thread myself on something like, How many of you believe in keeping the commandments concerning the 6th/7th commandment, concerning Adultery, since the Bible bans all sex acts outside the bonds of marriage?

Unfortunately, far too many Christians do think that the Gospel gives them a license to sin whenever they feel like it. I can never figure out how that's possible, except then I remember that in my experience, most Christians don't know much about what the Bible actually teaches. This also explains why they are such easy prey for the likes of Robert Shuller and Joel Osteen.
Where in the Leviticus 18 laws of sexual immorality does it say to not have sex with someone who is not your wife? It lists every other sexual act including, no relatives, no animals, but says nothing about DO NOT HAVE SEX WITH SOME YOU ARE NOT MARRIED TO. The reason I ask this is because many use that chapter to say sex outside of marriage isnt wrong since its not in the Torah. In context many other stories in the T point to if you have sex with someone you should make them your wife.

But I do agree people like J Osteen will never address sin, so people og there to feel good, but never examine themselves.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times
Don't forget this one.

"If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Well, although sexual immorality is a sin, I'd say we americans are too fixated on this one issue (and maybe abortion too) and we can't seem to see how we ought to be applying Jesus' commands given on the sermon on the Mount.

It's as though everyone agrees to not watch the smurfs, but how we treat our neighbor is not relevant.

Peace.
brian

Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Done away with them? No.

Misinterpret or misuse them? Some have, that's for sure.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Many Christians these days are quick to acknowledge that faith is part and parcel of Christianity. And most Christians will also say that evangelizing is part of the duty of Christians. Christians are also very quick to tell others that there is a hell awaiting them if they don't get their act together. (even though the early church, as indicated in the Book of Acts, didn't do this, and Jesus never told his disciples to tell people that they would go to hell.)

But what about the rest of Jesus' teachings? In particular, the "beatitudes" or "sermon on the mount of Olives?" Was it all just good rhetoric? Nice philosophy? How often are we hearing these basic commands taught today? Or are we mostly taught the prosperty doctrines and whatever else the wind blows our way?

Are we who believe in Christ able to do these "first" commands, such as turning the other cheek? Really??

Why is it, that Christians are quick to say that they follow Jesus, but are even quicker to justify themselves and men, and say that this or that command of Jesus (such as loving one's enemy) is not always necessary? It's easy to say we follow Jesus with our lips; it's not so easy in our actions and in our hearts!

In essence: How can we say that we are Christians, if we don't follow the teachings of Christ? Are we seeking to be transformed in Christ daily, into total submission to His will?

Peace.
brian
While you make some good points, I wonder, where do you fit into this whole scenario? You disparage others, but have you looked in the mirror lately? "Some Christians, most Christians..." Are you on the inside or outside of these groups?

So many threads here (not just this one) are started with the intention of putting down others. I can only do what I can do. It's very easy to see the faults of someone else.

We all just need to do the work God gifted us to do.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
While you make some good points, I wonder, where do you fit into this whole scenario? You disparage others, but have you looked in the mirror lately? "Some Christians, most Christians..." Are you on the inside or outside of these groups?

So many threads here (not just this one) are started with the intention of putting down others. I can only do what I can do. It's very easy to see the faults of someone else.

We all just need to do the work God gifted us to do.
I think we all should be encouraging each other to do what Jesus commanded. Personally, I believe Jesus' commands are for us, today, to fulfill and live out fully as best we can.

My impression though, is that much of the sermon on the Mount is less-well known and set as a goal to follow than, let's say, the book of Leviticus.

In other words, have Jesus' words fallen on deaf ears? Are we Christians meek, and broken-hearted? Or are we proud and boisterous? Is Christianity just about having faith and preaching the gospel, or does it require a full new way of life?

Peace.
brian

Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM

222 posts, read 470,932 times
I can't speak for all Christian churches and I know they come in all flavors. The church I attend uses The Bible and The Bible only. Our pastor utilizes three types of sermons expository, topical, and textual.

The expository sermon takes a paragraph or unit from The Bible and talks about it's theme or main point(s). We stay in this section of The Bible the entire sermon.

When we have a topical sermon the pastor has a theme, like Obedience To God. We go from verse to verse, sometimes 30 or at least it seems that many. You better know your Bible books or you'll get lost trying to keep up. Guess that's why we had all those "sword drills" growing up. Each verse has to do with the topic.

The textual sermon takes one verse only and breaks it down, explains it and expounds on it.

In the course of a year we hit on The Beatitudes and Sermon on The Mount quite often. We haven't had a sermon on just them alone in a while.

I guess the thrust of your question is that Christians tend to pick and choose what to practice in their lives. For me this isn't the case or at least I hope it isn't. If I don't take The Bible in its entirety then I have failed and the Holy Spirit is not guiding me when I read God's Word.

When I was a babe in Christ I got excited each time I finally "got" a verse or section of Scripture. As I've matured and become able to look at God's Word in its entirety I am more able to discern His will. Am I a finished product? LOL. My point is, we're all at different mile markers along our Christian path. I had a difficult time with this growing up. I'd see people light up a cigarette in the church parking lot and think they were terrible sinners. Then, one day the light bulb went off and I realized they were simply at a different place in their journey. For me to judge was wrong and not Christian.

The problem today IMO is pastors are unwilling to teach from The Bible. Too many equate success with filling pews and church coffers, not bringing souls to Christ. They say what man wants to hear, not what God would have us to hear. When I hear of churches with no Bibles I cringe. When I hear rock music louder than a concert I flee. Our churches are becoming of the world, not apart from it. It's killing the message of Christ's work on the cross and putting the emphasis on the creation not the Creator.

That little horned guy with the pitchfork must be doing cartwheels in Hell.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 AM

794 posts, read 846,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Peace.
brian
Jesus always exposed the self righteousness of man. The law never justified man, but it caused many to trust in their own self righteousness. What makes someone a Christian is not their obedience. Believing in Jesus' obedience that saved us makes you a Christian. (Romans 5:19) The reason why God is only interested in what you believe is because what you believe will inevitably shape your actions. Sinners don't become a sinner when they sin. How can a thief become a thief by stealing if he is already a thief? So doing good does not make someone good in the eyes of God. Jesus knew this and He demonstrated this often especially to the Pharisees. When we look away from self righteousness and experience the unearned and undeserved favor that all of us need from God, that will in turn cause us to start living like Christians by accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity