Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The Catholic church requires nothing; your participation is voluntary, no one will twist your arm. If you don't take communion no one will give you a second look, including the priest. However, if you don't conform to the rules of certain fundamentalists Protestant sects you are toasted.
"Requires" is a somewhat relative term. I was not talking about twisting arms, but about the consequences of failing to participate. What happens to Catholics in regard to their relation to God when they do not participate in the sacrament of the eucharist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Requires" is a somewhat relative term. I was not talking about twisting arms, but about the consequences of failing to participate. What happens to Catholics in regard to their relation to God when they do not participate in the sacrament of the eucharist?
You are confusing religion with God.

Religion is a vehicle to get closer to God.

God is not petty or insecure. Failing to receive the Eucharist is no big deal to God. And if it was a big deal to god then God is not God.

The Eucharist is for the parishioners, not for God.

All religion, including Catholicism is man made. There are those that only rely on Sola Scriptura, faith, and salvation, but that is also religion.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 AM

535 posts, read 967,047 times
Quote:
I am always baffled at how some protestant sects mocked the eucharist.
Questioning is not mocking.
Quote:
They lack the proper training. They may not know. And they never do the Eucharist.
That is not true
Quote:
I don't know if the presence of Jesus is in the bread or not.
Then you can't receive the Eucharist per your church teachings.
Who Can Receive Communion? | Catholic Answers
Quote:
Third, you must believe in the doctrine of transubstantiation. "For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself" (1 Cor. 11:29)..
Quote:
He said: This is my body.I think it is a matter of interpretation.If you believe it is just remembering that is fine.But, Catholics believe in the presence of Jesus.I don't see why this is a controversy.
Jesus also said he was a door,a vine, and a light. Was he literally a gate hanging on hinges, a grape vine or a candle? Why are those figurative but "This is my body" is literal?
Quote:
Catholics believe that as well.
And Jesus said, "this is my body". So Catholics believe Christ is present when they take communion. What is the big deal?
Whoa! Catholics don't just believe Christ is present as most Protestants do, they believe His flesh is the wafer, and the wafer is His flesh.
Quote:
I will answer: Some people believe Catholics are cannibals?
Who said that?
Quote:
Someone did an autopsy on the host?
Shortly after Trent, Pope St. Pius V authorized the publication of the Roman Catechism which built on the Council of Trent and explained its teachings for the pastors of the Church. Regarding the Real Presence, the pastors were told to explain that "in this sacrament is contained not only the true Body of Christ-and that means everything that goes to make up a true body, such as bones, nerves, and so on-but also Christ whole and entire." Consequently the Eucharist contains Jesus Christ in the fullness of his divinity and the completeness of his humanity.

Quote:
The Catholic church requires nothing; your participation is voluntary, no one will twist your arm. If you don't take communion no one will give you a second look, including the priest. However, if you don't conform to the rules of certain fundamentalists Protestant sects you are toasted.
Where's your proof?
Quote:
I have no issues with LDS people and John Smith. I don't think there is anything wrong with them.
That's good. Here's what they think of Catholics:
Mormon: Why the Mormon Church hates the Catholic Church
Quote:
1.Starting with the First Vision, Mormonism teaches that all churches except the Mormon Church are an abomination in the sight of God.
2. The Doctine and Covenants also has Jesus Christ condemning ALL other churches, and especially the "great and abominable church".
3. The Church has a history of identifying the Catholic Church as the great and abominable church.
Quote:
I don't have issues with Protestants that simplified Christianity to Sola Scriptura, faith alone, and salvation.
However, I get a kick of the constant anti-catholic dogma that is taught in these sects (40,000 and counting).
Where's your proof? Unsubstantiated claims are worthless.

Quote:
Why can they be more like mainstream Protestant churches that are more accepting of others?
Where's your proof? I have read many more Anti-Protestant threads and posts with your fingerprints on them than any Anti-Catholic.

Quote:
You are confusing religion with God.
Religion is a vehicle to get closer to God.
God is not petty or insecure. Failing to receive the Eucharist is no big deal to God. And if it was a big deal to god then God is not God. The Eucharist is for the parishioners, not for God.
Catechism of the Catholic Church - The sacrament of the Eucharist
[quote]The Eucharist is "the source and summit of the Christian life."136 "The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it. For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself, our Pasch." "The Eucharist is the efficacious sign and sublime cause of that communion in the divine life and that unity of the People of God by which the Church is kept in being. It is the culmination both of God's action sanctifying the world in Christ and of the worship men offer to Christ and through him to the Father in the Holy Spirit." Finally, by the Eucharistic celebration we already unite ourselves with the heavenly liturgy and anticipate eternal life, when God will be all in all.
In brief, the Eucharist is the sum and summary of our faith: "Our way of thinking is attuned to the Eucharist, and the Eucharist in turn confirms our way of thinking."

Quote:
All religion, including Catholicism is man made. There are those that only rely on Sola Scriptura, faith, and salvation, but that is also religion.
Basing one's religion and putting faith in God's Word, The Bible, is different than a top down hierarchy.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:37 PM

[quote=Priscilla Martin;31457205]
Jesus also said he was a door,a vine, and a light. Was he literally a gate hanging on hinges, a grape vine or a candle? Why are those figurative but "This is my body" is literal?

I think the bible is allegorical, so you are preaching to the choir.

Whoa! Catholics don't just believe Christ is present as most Protestants do, they believe His flesh is the wafer, and the wafer is His flesh.

Yes, his flesh, but there are no bones or nerves in there . It is the flesh of Jesus----------- the flesh of Jesus is salvation.

Shortly after Trent, Pope St. Pius V authorized the publication of the Roman Catechism which built on the Council of Trent and explained its teachings for the pastors of the Church. Regarding the Real Presence, the pastors were told to explain that "in this sacrament is contained not only the true Body of Christ-and that means everything that goes to make up a true body, such as bones, nerves, and so on-but also Christ whole and entire." Consequently the Eucharist contains Jesus Christ in the fullness of his divinity and the completeness of his humanity.

I think you are either quoting an incorrect web site or you adding words or your own.

This is what the catechism says:

1374 The mode of Christ's presence under the Eucharistic species is unique. It raises the Eucharist above all the sacraments as "the perfection of the spiritual life and the end to which all the sacraments tend."201 In the most blessed sacrament of the Eucharist "the body and blood, together with the soul and divinity, of our Lord Jesus Christ and, therefore, the whole Christ is truly, really, and substantially contained."202 "This presence is called 'real' - by which is not intended to exclude the other types of presence as if they could not be 'real' too, but because it is presence in the fullest sense: that is to say, it is a substantial presence by which Christ, God and man, makes himself wholly and entirely present."203

1375 It is by the conversion of the bread and wine into Christ's body and blood that Christ becomes present in this sacrament.

That's good. Here's what they think of Catholics:
Mormon: Why the Mormon Church hates the Catholic Church

Many non-catholics hate the Catholic Church, so I am not surprised. I don't have issues with Mr Smith.

Where's your proof? Unsubstantiated claims are worthless.

Where's your proof? I have read many more Anti-Protestant threads and posts with your fingerprints on them than any Anti-Catholic.

I don't think I need to post anti-catholic web sites, you can easily google that.

As for some churches being rigid:

Check this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ch-christ.html

Old 09-18-2013, 02:15 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default Can Excommunicated Priests Perform The Transubstantiation Sacrament?

::Sigh::Jesus just said to do it in remembrance of Him, period. He instituted no magical "sacrament" . . . but I suppose we humans could not possibly be content with that.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh::Jesus just said to do it in remembrance of Him, period. He instituted no magical "sacrament" . . . but I suppose we humans could not possibly be content with that.
The words were direct and obvious. But, loyalists literalists like to pick and choose.:-)

Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen to that! It is that simple with no complex theology.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
But then why have priests??.......Oh.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:12 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
Addressing the question directly, without going off-topic: as has been stated within the discussion, the priest is admonished by the hierarchy not to perform the sacrament, and it is wrong if he does; conversely, the ones receiving can do so in good conscience, and there is no harm to them. I suppose seen in another light, no one will stop the priest from the administration of the Eucharist (can still perform) but the parishioners are not partaking of the priests sin in receiving what was administered.

The discussion that has followed the original question seems to be more a debate about if there is transubstantiation than if the person can administer. By the church's orders, it seems the priest is admonished not to perform the sacrament, though if he does, the recipient is not partaking improperly, erroneously, or out of a good spirit.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Amen to that! It is that simple with no complex theology.

St. Justin Martyr supposedly knew one of the Apostles, and was placed as head teacher of the doctrinal school of the faith that Apostle started in Egypt.

St. Justin Martyr says Christians take the Eucharist as the real presence of the blood and flesh of Jesus.

Christianity is the most mystical and fantastical of all the religions in that in brings the pagan sorties of the man-god to life. It claims provides the Angelic food of the elves. It claims a conception of the world that will take science perhaps another 200 year to catch up to. But Einstein as a scientist was right to be intrigued by the conception of the Eucharist.

Actually, I saw a show by Anthony Bourdain on his No Reservations, that was an episode in Spain, supposedly the mecca of Western cooking in the world today (according to him at least). And some creative, well known chef or pastry maker, was experimenting with food that was in my eyes very Eucharistic in conception. That is to say food that was essential one thing but took on completely different characteristics.

Early Christians Believed in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist

Quote:
St. Justin Martyr was born a pagan but converted to Christianity after studying philosophy. He was a prolific writer and many Church scholars consider him the greatest apologist or defender of the faith from the 2nd century. He was beheaded with six of his companions some time between 163 and 167 A.D.

"This food we call the Eucharist, of which no one is allowed to partake except one who believes that the things we teach are true, and has received the washing for forgiveness of sins and for rebirth, and who lives as Christ handed down to us. For we do not receive these things as common bread or common drink; but as Jesus Christ our Savior being incarnate by God's Word took flesh and blood for our salvation, so also we have been taught that the food consecrated by the Word of prayer which comes from him, from which our flesh and blood are nourished by transformation, is the flesh and blood of that incarnate Jesus."

Spain, El Bulli's Test Kitchen - YouTube
LotR - Lembas Bread - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity