Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did Adam & Eve, Abraham, and Noad Observe the Sabbath Day
YES, but it was not recorded in scriptures 6 25.00%
NO, there was no command to do so until Moses 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:37 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,077,669 times

Advertisements

This is not a you must observe the Sabbath Debate or Condemnation for those who don't or Praise for those who do, but a general question about that debate.

Genesis 2-3

2 Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

I hear so many say this verse is proof that the Sabbath existed since creation.

I don't see any record of it in scriptures showing that they did observe it, but the argument can go both ways that they either did and it is not recorded or they didnt because there was no command to do so until the time of Moses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,079,891 times
I'm not aware of a command to do so until Moses.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:08 PM

796 posts, read 852,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
This is not a you must observe the Sabbath Debate or Condemnation for those who don't or Praise for those who do, but a general question about that debate.

Genesis 2-3

2 Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

I don't see any record of it in scriptures showing that they did observe it, but the argument can go both ways that they either did and it is not recorded or they didnt because there was no command to do so until the time of Moses.
That is an excellent verse to mis-use if you are trying to reject Christ and earn your salvation and claim your part of Israel. But it is not the giving of the Sabbath. Adam and Eve were not part of the nation of Israel for it did not exist until after Abraham. And since the Sabbath was given to Israel alone after they came out of Egypt it is impossible for any you listed to have kept the Sabbath. Kind of like asking if George Washington took off for MLK day.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,077,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
That is an excellent verse to mis-use if you are trying to reject Christ and earn your salvation and claim your part of Israel. But it is not the giving of the Sabbath. Adam and Eve were not part of the nation of Israel for it did not exist until after Abraham. And since the Sabbath was given to Israel alone after they came out of Egypt it is impossible for any you listed to have kept the Sabbath. Kind of like asking if George Washington took off for MLK day.
What in the world are you talking about??? If you read the entire post you would see that I said, many use this verse to say the Sabbath was something that has been there since the beginning of creation, eventhough there is no record of anyone keeping a Sabbath Day until Moses time. So i don't see how that verse was being misused or how anything in that post could reject Christ in anyway.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:17 PM

9,663 posts, read 9,918,144 times
See God rested on the seventh day , so Adam and Eve were created by God on the six day , then God rested on the seven day ..... So Adam and Eve rested in the image of God , which was a short time as Adam and Eve corrupted them selves , and the image of God was remove from their being , in which the eternal spiritual Sabbath was gone which is rest in the Lord , until Jesus came and the new covenant was started in which an eternal Sabbath of the rest of the Lord for the temple of the Holy Spirit was started ........See the Israelites got the shadow Sabbath through the ten commandments giving to Moses , which became a custom for faith this can be exercised today for a day set aside for the worship of the Lord , as the World with out a Sabbath to the Lord people will work seven days a week and ignore the Lord and never have time to worship the Lord and pray

Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,101,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not aware of a command to do so until Moses.
Correct, the Sabbath was instituted with the Law. Because we're not supposed to debate, I'll stop there.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:11 PM

796 posts, read 852,913 times
Quote:
What in the world are you talking about??? If you read the entire post you would see that I said, many use this verse to say the Sabbath was something that has been there since the beginning of creation, eventhough there is no record of anyone keeping a Sabbath Day until Moses time. So i don't see how that verse was being misused or how anything in that post could reject Christ in anyway.
I did not say that your post mis-used it but that it is mis-used. I don't think you applied it to make a point at all as best I can recall without scrolling back to the OP. Substitute the word's "one" for "you" and "one's" for "your" in my post and see if that helps you understand what I was saying better.

I will help you out here just to make sure you don't misunderstand me again!

Quote:
That is an excellent verse to mis-use if ONE IS trying to reject Christ and earn ONES salvation and claim ONE IS part of Israel. But it is not the giving of the Sabbath. Adam and Eve were not part of the nation of Israel for it did not exist until after Abraham. And since the Sabbath was given to Israel alone after they came out of Egypt it is impossible for any you listed to have kept the Sabbath. Kind of like asking if George Washington took off for MLK day.
Hope that helps.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,094 times
Sabbath is the seal of God it has his name (the Lord) his title (the creator) and his territories (heaven and earth).. SUNday worship is the mark of the beast you have all been mislead by the papacy and its lies ... littlehorn power has sought to change times and laws ...there is only one law that is a time as well ...the Sabbath!!! keeping this day is not legalism nor does it mean you are trying to earn saviour by works .... by his stripes alone we our saved and by grace given from God a free gift undeserved and unwarranted that our faith in yehushua is enough to save our souls ...Happy Sabbath day all God bless you

Old 03-14-2015, 06:58 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,101,063 times
Except Jesus is our rest, our Sabbath in this new covenant of grace - remember, the Sabbath was made for man - not the other way around.

There is a rest for the people of God, for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. (Heb 4)

Old 03-14-2015, 10:39 AM

32,529 posts, read 21,825,388 times
Quote:

Genesis 2-3

Origin of Sunday rest
Main article: Early Christianity
Though the majority observance of Christian Sabbath is as Sunday rest, this development was gradual. Theologian Samuele Bacchiocchi contended in his book, From Sabbath to Sunday, that there was a transition from the Saturday Sabbath to Sunday in the early Christian church due to pagan and political factors, and also the decline of standards for the Sabbath day. In the 2nd century, the observance of a corporate day of worship on the first day (Sunday, or Saturday night) had become commonplace as attested in the patristic writings. For such worshipers the term "Lord's Day" came to mean the first day or Sunday. From the 4th century onwards, Sunday worship has also taken on the observance of Sunday rest in some Christian traditions, such as the Puritans of the 16th and 17th centuries. Among these "first-day Sabbatarians", Sunday worship and/or rest eventually became synonymous with a first-day Christian Sabbath. - Sabbath in Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity