Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times

Advertisements

The only thing that is sin is what you perceive as sin. Since sin is a human concept it's up to the individual as to what they find sinful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,708 times
I think it can depend on alot on what the movie is about. Yes, seeing a violent war or horror movie can mess with your mind in a not so peaceful way, but if the movie is not necessarily meant to entertain through violence, it can be good for us in a different way. While its not exactly "thinking on good things," God isn't out to shelter us from everything bad in the world and sometimes seeing a visual representation of what is bad in the world can help us cope with it happening in real life or teach us lessons. Rambo 4 was the most violent and horrifying movie I've ever seen, but it was violent and horrible for a reason to show what is really going on in the Sudan and other places in the world, and it taught me a lesson I will never forget, even if the violence was also meant to be entertaining for some as well... I still wouldn't recommend seeing it unless you have a strong stomach and a strong psyche.

I have a much bigger problem with a film thats meant to entertain through violence and appeal to people who like seeing pretty girls or teens or whoever getting violently killed. I know many conservative Christians who like to go to horror films but freak out about erotic movies because they are paranoid (and don't understand the actual biblical definition) of lust/coveting...not that there aren't bad things about those movies too, but that one is based a natural activity meant to bring about a natural emotion and the other is not (mostly).

Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 PM

198 posts, read 262,807 times
If you have to ask "is it a sin...." then just don't do it to be on the safe side if you feel it isn't pleasing to God. Afterall, he's the only one who knows anyway. And he knows WHY you want to do whatever you're questioning.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Just ignore the nudity, since that is the only thing traditionalists find so offensive about R-rated films in this sexually hung-up, repressed nation. Blood-strewn carnage and wholesale mass graphic slaughter are perfectly fine, but one uncovered female breast???

HEAVEN FORBID!!!!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:23 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Well, I'm not here to judge anyone or what their doing but I have purposely stopped watching R-rated and PG-13 films 2 years ago when I began getting really close to God in my relationship and reading the Bible more. When I watched those films or tv shows, I had a REALLY bad feeling about them. I would literally try to force myself to laugh at their sexual jokes and innuendos and cursing but deep down I just had a feeling of it being wrong. When I finished watching them, I felt like I had put my soul through garbage. There was STRONG feeling of dirtiness. But I ignored those feeling and kept doing it. The last straw was when I fell asleep to these movies. When I woke up in the morning, I felt like I was plunged in garbage and darkness. My heart and my head hurt and my body was shivering. I knew then that something was seriously evil about these films. I even tested it out watching and falling asleep to Christian channels like CBN. First of all, I had the best night's sleep ever. Second, when I woke up in the morning to that channel, I felt renewed and great and wonderful. That's when I knew and decided I was done with films and tv shows of darkness.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:13 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Please forgive the brief interruption within this thread, but the moderators just wanted to let everyone know that there is a new Sticky at the top of the forum, which we are requesting that all members please take the time to read. Thanks, and please to resume posting in response to the OP, which is an excellent topic of debate!

Old 09-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Actually what is considered sin is based on God's knowledge of sin. You may do something you don't believe is a sin, but if it is in the eyes of God, does that make it not a sin?
You have no way of knowing what God finds sinful,and the Bible is not a reliable source.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:18 AM

794 posts, read 846,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
You have no way of knowing what God finds sinful,and the Bible is not a reliable source.
Actually the bible says anything that is not of faith is sin. So I kind of do know what God considers as sin.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:23 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,447,520 times
Stop worrying whether or not it is a sin. Just ask yourself is it beneficial. Of course most R rated movies are full of the things of the world. The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life. (I encourage everyone to define what those terms mean) So it's not so much the rating of a movie, it's what it's filled with. Is it filled with the lust of the eyes? An example might be something that inspires feelings of jealousy. Is it filled with the lust of the flesh? I imagine this is something similar to the lust of the eyes, but subltly different. Is it filled with the pride of life? If those movies are filled with those things, then it's not beneficial to watch them. Yet if you watch them, don't be condemned.

I usually wait till a movie is edited a bit before I watch it, particulary a movie that's filled with a lot of curse/swear words. Yet there are a lot of movies that no amount of editing can fully cover over the non-beneficial parts, without cutting out everything in the movie lol. All in all, don't be condemned. God has covered all our sins with Jesus' blood. Even the sins we haven't committed yet are covered as well. We just need to move forward in the finished work of Christ. When we do that, our life will reflect what has already took place inside of us.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Actually the bible says anything that is not of faith is sin. So I kind of do know what God considers as sin.
The Bible has many deferent versions. The Bible also has been undoubtably altered many times over the centuries to fit church doctrine at the time. Your Bible is not reliable. Nor is it even close to the original scripts of those who wrote them. To believe that the Bible has not been altered by man is absurd.

You know what the Christian faith believes to be sin, but don't pretend to know God's mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity