Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:06 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,721,244 times

Advertisements

Mark 16:17-18

17 "These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will drive out demons, they will speak new languages. 18 They will pick up serpents [with their hands], and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them. They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

Is this really supposed to be divinely inspired scripture? Do these things happen?

Last edited by ancient warrior; 09-24-2013 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
ALL Scripture is divinely inspired. Those things did happen, Paul handled a snake safely Acts 28:5 and the disciples healed the sick Matt 10:1, Acts 3:7-8. This does not mean that we should test God by putting ourselves in dangerous situations.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,721,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
ALL Scripture is divinely inspired. Those things did happen, Paul handled a snake safely Acts 28:5 and the disciples healed the sick Matt 10:1, Acts 3:7-8. This does not mean that we should test God by putting ourselves in dangerous situations.
RESPONSE:

On the contrary, the passage is specifically applied to all believers. "These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name". Clearly one is not tempting God by doing what God claimed believers can do.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:18 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,089 times
Those things did occur with the apostles and early Christians, who were the "they".

Old 09-24-2013, 10:45 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
The Bible is allegoric in many passages.

Furthermore, the Bible is an attempt to write down Sacred Oral Tradition. The Bible leaves many things out regarding the tradition of Christianity. IN the first three centuries Oral Tradition was the most important way of spreading Christianity. Without oral Tradition there is no NT.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Many of the supernatural occurrences that accompanied believers occurred in the recent time period after the ascension of Christ. That was in order to validate those involved in the new covenant and the change involving the Holy Spirit - that those particular people are of God and did the same miracles that Christ did.

Those miracles are not needed as much now - otherwise, the Spirit would use those particular gifts today.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:41 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
If you can find the book Like a Mighty Rushing Wind about a move of God that took place in Indonesia perhaps 40 yrs ago you would see the testimonies of those who witnessed all those miracles and much more including walking on water, turning water into wine and other miracles.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:55 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The Bible is allegoric in many passages.

Furthermore, the Bible is an attempt to write down Sacred Oral Tradition. The Bible leaves many things out regarding the tradition of Christianity. IN the first three centuries Oral Tradition was the most important way of spreading Christianity. Without oral Tradition there is no NT.
Tell that to my knees that made walking difficult and painful. I was healed shortly after I asked God and to this day I can walk just fine and have no pain.

The doctors said my mother would die within days [kidneys stopped and lungs where filling up with fluid as a result of heart problems] but when I lay my hand on her head and prayed, the Power of God flowed through me and into her. Rather than dying within days, she was sent home within days.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:16 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Mark 16:17-18

17 "These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will drive out demons, they will speak new languages. 18 They will pick up serpents [with their hands], and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them. They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

Is this really supposed to be divinely inspired scripture? Do these things happen?
I can see why you ask that. I have yet to see a modern day example of someone touching some sick and they are automatically healed, outside of Televangelist and we never know if that person was really healed.

It seems all these miracle examples are always when the apostles were around, but no one in modern times can show examples.

Im not saying God doesn't heal because there are many former cancer patients and very sick people to prove otherwise, but I would like to see someone put a amputated body part back on someone by faith, drive out a demon on TV for all to see, and see someone get bitten by a poisnous snake and be perfectly fine afterwards.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:23 PM

198 posts, read 262,685 times
Miracles were performed as a way to spread the gospel after Jesus went back to heaven, since there was no NT then. Now that we have the NT, no one has the power of Christ or the power he gave his apostles. That's why he left the Holy Spirit. God STILL does perform miracles everyday, but not by the touch of someones hand and 1, 2, 3 they're healed. Doesn't work that way. You can't believe everything you see on TV. Those people just want to make a quick buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity