Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:56 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Col 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day-- 17] things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Jesus was already back in heaven when this was written , so he already came, so "mere shadow of what is to come" clearly points to the future, not past.
So why is it that everything that God listed as unclean that was toxic for the human body 5000yrs ago, is still not good for the human body today?

The ceremonial/sacrificial stuff that was fulfilled and done away with was animal sacrifices and burnt offerings for our sins. Not eating a skunk or snake isnt ceremonial, it is God protecting you by telling you what is not meant for food. You can pray over a poisonous rattle snake all you want, but if it kills you you can wonder why when God said it was never meant for food.

But back to the topic I was talking about. Matthew 15 and Mark 7 are about not doing ceremonial hand washings doesnt make you unclean, so we as Christians cant keep trying to use those verse that have nothing to do with dietary laws and then say that we can eat whatever we want based on Matt 15 & Mark 7.
Why did Paul say it was ok to eat meat sacrificed to idols?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 05:30 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Col 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day-- 17] things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Jesus was already back in heaven when this was written , so he already came, so "mere shadow of what is to come" clearly points to the future, not past.
So why is it that everything that God listed as unclean that was toxic for the human body 5000yrs ago, is still not good for the human body today?

The ceremonial/sacrificial stuff that was fulfilled and done away with was animal sacrifices and burnt offerings for our sins. Not eating a skunk or snake isnt ceremonial, it is God protecting you by telling you what is not meant for food. You can pray over a poisonous rattle snake all you want, but if it kills you you can wonder why when God said it was never meant for food.

But back to the topic I was talking about. Matthew 15 and Mark 7 are about not doing ceremonial hand washings doesnt make you unclean, so we as Christians cant keep trying to use those verse that have nothing to do with dietary laws and then say that we can eat whatever we want based on Matt 15 & Mark 7.
Col. 2:16-17 is not referring to some point in the future yet to come, but refers to the fact that Jesus is the reality which replaces the shadows. You already ignored the commentary I provided, but here is more commentary on that passage. >> Colossians 2:17 Commentaries: things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Saan, Paul refutes you in 1 Cor. 10:25-31 as shown in post #8.

Genesis 9:3 also refutes you. Long before God gave dietary restrictions to Israel, God told Noah;
Genesis 9:3 ''Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant. 4] Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
Also as shown in post #8, it is ceremonial uncleanness which is being referred to, and which should be obvious to you from Leviticus 11.

As for the foods mentioned being toxic, let's take pork for example. (Leviticus 11:7). Pork when properly prepared is not toxic. Pork in moderation is okay to eat.

Pork benefits to your health. Eating benefits of Pork.

As for Matthew 15:17-20, Jesus was saying that one is not defiled by eating with unwashed hands, but rather, one is defiled by what is in the heart and expressed with the mouth.

Making an issue out of dietary restrictions which were given to Israel, and trying to apply them to the church is legalism. It's no different than claiming that the church must observe Israel's Sabbath.

I doubt though that you will listen. And I've already spent too much time on this.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:

Eating rattle snake won't kill you. Catching it may, but eating it certainly won't.
My grand pa made the best rattle snake stew.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Please forgive the brief interruption within this thread, but the moderators just wanted to let everyone know that there is a new Sticky at the top of the forum, which we are requesting that all members please take the time to read. Thanks, and please to resume posting in response to the OP, which is an excellent topic of debate!

Old 09-26-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Col. 2:16-17 is not referring to some point in the future yet to come, but refers to the fact that Jesus is the reality which replaces the shadows. You already ignored the commentary I provided, but here is more commentary on that passage. >> Colossians 2:17 Commentaries: things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Saan, Paul refutes you in 1 Cor. 10:25-31 as shown in post #8.

Genesis 9:3 also refutes you. Long before God gave dietary restrictions to Israel, God told Noah;
Genesis 9:3 ''Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant. 4] Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
Also as shown in post #8, it is ceremonial uncleanness which is being referred to, and which should be obvious to you from Leviticus 11.

As for the foods mentioned being toxic, let's take pork for example. (Leviticus 11:7). Pork when properly prepared is not toxic. Pork in moderation is okay to eat.

Pork benefits to your health. Eating benefits of Pork.

As for Matthew 15:17-20, Jesus was saying that one is not defiled by eating with unwashed hands, but rather, one is defiled by what is in the heart and expressed with the mouth.

Making an issue out of dietary restrictions which were given to Israel, and trying to apply them to the church is legalism. It's no different than claiming that the church must observe Israel's Sabbath.

I doubt though that you will listen. And I've already spent too much time on this.

Do you believe anything you read?...Pork and the fats contained in the meat play havoc with your digestive system...

Old 09-26-2013, 02:29 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Like anything else, overindulgence in any food can be harmful. Some foods that are fine in moderation are harmful in quantity, the point is to know which is what and act accordingly.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
What amazes me is the post was titled The misunderstood verses, Mark 7:19 & Matthew 15:20 and I think it is very clear that those verses and the chapter in proper context is referring to not eating with unwashed hands doesn't make a person unclean. Nothing in those parallel chapters even shows the issue at hand was about the dietary laws, yet Col. 2:16-17, Genesis 9:3, 1 Cor. 10:25-31, 1 Tim. 4:1, and Rom. 14:1 get brought into the argument and they have nothing to do with if eating with unwashed hands makes a person unclean.

I swear Christians get super sensitive if pork/ shellfish is even mentioned. I even clarified and said this was not a dont eat pork/shellfish post, but to rather see those 2 chapters in their correct context and stop using them out of their context.

@nateswift , you are correct that moderation is the key. Someone that eats pork and shrimp everyday will be equally unhealthy as someone who eats our modern day steroid filled/chemically chicken everyday, if its deep fried or soaked in grease. It will be natrually toxic vs bio-toxic.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
If God didn't want us to eat pork why did He make BACON??!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:49 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
These verses are used all the time to say Jesus canceled the dietary laws.
Jesus didn't cancel the law. He said this explicitly many times. Rather, he FULFILLED the law by offering himself as the perfect sacrifice, which one and for all time satisfied the need to atone for sin. When a person accepts the sacrifice of Christ, they are covered by that once of all sacrifice.

Obey the dietary laws if you choose, but only as a witness and a testimony. Otherwise, they have no benefit that exceeds the blood of Christ.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If God didn't want us to eat pork why did He make BACON??!

Ur nst slly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity