Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
What is correct to the Pope is not necessarily correct to me, or to many others. How he chooses to operate his organization is certainly up to him.

I don't see anything in the bible against abortion. People in early times aborted and tried different means of birth control. Certainly, God created gay animals and humans are but one of them. Did God make a mistake? Is God a hypocrite or does He/She enjoy human suffering?

Frankly, if a woman does not want a kid in her life, I see no wrong in aborting it. None at all. We are just a higher type of animal and we are not squeamish when it comes to our treatment of those others with whom we share the planet.
Which is probably one reason God instituted the Christian Church. It seems without it people really don't have much of a moral compass.

The governments often won't allow a 17 year old to shoot up heroin or even to get a tattoo. Kind of hypocritical to allow her to abort another human life. And yes.. genetically its human life. Of course, genetics, development in the woman, and "life," does not matter to many people unless they're frothing at the mouth pontifcating about "life" of the homosexual beginning at conception in which his homosexuality was genetically inherited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The RCC is the greatest and most important entity in Western History. Like all large entities it tries to preserve itself. This has been the case from the very onset of Christianity.
Actually, it seems to me that those within the RCC from the pews of Detroit all the way up to the Vatican do in their might to destroy the RCC.

Long ago a Jewish man observed this... especially with respects to sins... and converted to the RCC because of that. Concluding it must be God working in the Church to preserve it as any other human institution would have fallen.

On a separate occasion, some centuries ago, some person of power threatened to destroy the Church, and some RCC Bishop responded, "Oh, my good sir, not even with Bishops have been able to do that."

Quote:
We can put down the RCC all day long for past errors, but nowadays it seems to be much more forgiving and accepting of others that most religions.
It always has. That's the underlying criticism it receives: "Oh, look at all the sins over there." All the sinners in Catholicism from the laity in the pews to the Cardinals in the Vatican.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:16 PM

304 posts, read 302,026 times
Quote:
Mixed report on N.J. child welfare system reveals rise in children abused after leaving foster care | NJ.com

I don't think children deserve to be in a dysfunctional situation and abortion is a was to avoid that.
There is a big difference, to women who abort their kids, between snuffing out a life that has never had a breath of air and what you suggest above.

To me, your suggestion would also lead to criminalizing alcohol because it might lead to drug abuse.
ROFL ROFL ASK THE CHILD.... Would you rather live through hell and become an adult, or would you rather I end your life. That is the most asinine thing I've ever heard.

This is easy to reconcile. We can go to the inner city where the kids dont' know who their daddy is, who's mama slaps them around, who are trying to make friends but live in a hostile place where he's in fights, and ask them, "This is a hard life, how about if I just end it now, isn't that what you would prefer?"

There is no difference, UNLESS you can show me the woman's womb does not have a person coming out of it.

The only big difference as you word it, is a living child makes you feel guiltier. Because you've had to look them in the eyes, and then take their life. You can pretend that fetus isn't going to be a living person and hold no guilt. HOW MANY LIVING PEOPLE DO YOU THINK WANTS to NOT be alive? We have statistics on that. Less than one one thousandth of one percent of people suicide.

Now, can; you tell me which one of the fetuses will be that minor percentage?

This is what we call justification. And notice how you avoided the killing granny and grandpa when they can't provide for themselves? You can't say it's ok to end a life that you have seen. Why is it ok to end a life that hasn't even had a chance to make a choice?

If the woman has a right to her body, surely a man has a right to his body, and that fetus is either male or female, or rarely a combination thereof. They have a right.

Why is it murder to shoot a fetus in the womb, but ok to kill it through abortion?

You are being grossly irresponsibly dishonest.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:46 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Actually, it seems to me that those within the RCC from the pews of Detroit all the way up to the Vatican do in their might to destroy the RCC.

Long ago a Jewish man observed this... especially with respects to sins... and converted to the RCC because of that. Concluding it must be God working in the Church to preserve it as any other human institution would have fallen.

On a separate occasion, some centuries ago, some person of power threatened to destroy the Church, and some RCC Bishop responded, "Oh, my good sir, not even with Bishops have been able to do that."

It always has. That's the underlying criticism it receives: "Oh, look at all the sins over there." All the sinners in Catholicism from the laity in the pews to the Cardinals in the Vatican.
History says that the CC is the church of Christ . The pedigree is undeniable and it will continue to be a force in history.

The reform has failed in replacing the CC. It is not going to happen.

A more scientific and academic CC will never be a bad thing. If the CC had no base on sound rational principles i would leave catholicism.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:16 PM

304 posts, read 302,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
History says that the CC is the church of Christ . The pedigree is undeniable and it will continue to be a force in history.

The reform has failed in replacing the CC. It is not going to happen.

A more scientific and academic CC will never be a bad thing. If the CC had no base on sound rational principles i would leave catholicism.
I can deny it. I try to avoid that conversation because I don't want to shake up some CCM's faith. But if you are going to put it out there like it's a fact, I'll be glad to accommodate that conversation in it's own thread. You have at least five other Churches that could make that claim.

I respect, admire and in forums like this most often defend the CC. But this forum doesn't seem to have the inherent Catholic bashing bigots you find elsewhere so I've not had to go there.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:20 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Which is probably one reason God instituted the Christian Church. It seems without it people really don't have much of a moral compass.

The governments often won't allow a 17 year old to shoot up heroin or even to get a tattoo. Kind of hypocritical to allow her to abort another human life. And yes.. genetically its human life. Of course, genetics, development in the woman, and "life," does not matter to many people unless they're frothing at the mouth pontifcating about "life" of the homosexual beginning at conception in which his homosexuality was genetically inherited.
I disagree. People may certainly have a moral compass without the Catholic Church. It's just a different moral compass, one that's alien to some, one that obviously differs from yours. I don't impose my moral compass on you, and you don't do so to me. That's a democracy for ya'.

In my values I care more for the mature woman and her life than for the combination of cells in the process of becoming. I hope for children to be reared in nurturing homes where they were planned for and are wanted. I totally agree that if a woman feels she cannot provide for a child or is not in a spot in life where it is convenient, she can abort. It is because I DO care that I take this stance.

I'm sure you think that you care as well, so we'll just have to live with disagreeing. You live your life your way, and I will do the same.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:59 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Default Pope Francis a GREAT role model

Well, the Pope may have excommunicated a priest for questionable reasons in the eyes of some. But as a non-Catholic, I find him to be one of the most refreshing spiritual leaders in recent memory. None of the glorified Protestant TV ministers can even light a candle next to him.

Quote:
Shortly after the conclave, Francis visited a detention center near Rome where he washed young prisoners’ feet in one of his first public events. He has also shunned the apostolic apartments, choosing to live in a more modest dwelling where he said he feels less isolated. And last month, Francis got his own personal car to drive within Vatican City: a 29-year-old Renault beater with 186,000 miles on it.

Earlier this week, in an interview with the Italian daily La Repubblica, the pontiff mentioned his namesake, saying that St. Francis had “longed for a poor Church that looked after others, accepted monetary help and used it to help others with no thought of itself.”

“Eight hundred years have passed and times have changed, but the ideal of a missionary and poor Church is still more than valid,” he said.
Pope makes pilgrimage to namesake's Italian village of Assisi - World News

I think he is putting to shame the lifestyles of some of the cardinals and bishops within his own faith. The scriptures say "judgment must begin at the House of God" and Pope Francis is doing that not with words, but by example.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Well, the Pope may have excommunicated a priest for questionable reasons in the eyes of some. But as a non-Catholic, I find him to be one of the most refreshing spiritual leaders in recent memory. None of the glorified Protestant TV ministers can even light a candle next to him.

Pope makes pilgrimage to namesake's Italian village of Assisi - World News

I think he is putting to shame the lifestyles of some of the cardinals and bishops within his own faith. The scriptures say "judgment must begin at the House of God" and Pope Francis is doing that not with words, but by example.
Slide show of the Pope, the next Saint Francis

Pope Francis: From priest to pontiff - Slideshows and Picture Stories - NBCNews.com

Old 10-15-2013, 03:06 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Default appears some conservative Catholics dislike the Pope

It appears that what some like myself would consider a refreshing look for the Catholic Church is upsetting the more conservative elements of the Church. Is there a looming religious political battle?

Quote:
Jeffrey Tucker, editor of the New Liturgical Movement blog, said the super-traditionalists should relax, even though he admitted Francis left him unsettled at first because he is so different from his more formal predecessor.

"All of us miss Benedict — we just do. It's kind of how the kids never like the new stepfather," Tucker said. "You get groovy with it and everything's OK. There's a group of traditionalists that just don't get it, and they're terrified."

Boston College theology professor Thomas Groome said it's easy to see why reactionaries would be on edge. While the pope hasn't messed with doctrine, a shift in priorities and pitch is clearly underway, he said.

"I think it will be a real test for conservative Catholics," he said. "They have always pointed the finger, quoting the pope for the last 35 years. Suddenly, will they stop quoting the pope. It'll be a good test of whether or not they're really Catholics."
Not everyone loves Pope Francis: Conservative Catholics voice concern over 'revolutionary' message - U.S. News

What is the thought of Catholic members who participate on the Christian thread?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
I don't follow these things, but I can't remember when I've heard of an excommunication last.

Pope Francis Excommunicates Australian Priest Who Advocated For Gay Marriage And Female Clergy

It seems as though this priest had resigned first, in 2011.

This is still strange, coming from a Pope who just stated that Catholics should not be so hung up on abortion, gays, etc.

It's only strange if people are listening to the breathless MNM thinking that this pope has somehow changed church teaching; he hasn't. The MNM know why the priest was excommunicated, so that's why they appear to have buried the story.

Pope Francis also made some of his strongest pronouncements against abortion a couple of weeks ago, but the MNM curiously missed that, too.

I have to give this pope a failing grade, though, on clarity. Too many people have misinterpreted too many of his statements, and Pope Francis needs to be clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity