Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times

Advertisements

Millions of people are advocates and practice Yoruba.

Other than usual story about salvation, what would tell them to convince them to convert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Please forgive the brief interruption within this thread, but the moderators just wanted to let everyone know that there is a new Sticky at the top of the forum, which we are requesting that all members please take the time to read. Thanks, and please to resume posting in response to the OP, which is an excellent topic of debate!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Other than usual story about salvation, what would tell them to convince them to convert?
Actually, the religion is called Ifa, and it is practiced by the Yoruba people of Nigeria and Benin. It is the precursor to Voodoo and Santeria and incorporates pantheistic principals.

I would say that there is really no reason for them to convert if they are happy with their religion. Other than the salvation thingy.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,389 times
A former professor of mine was/is a Voodoo priest. Actually, he converted from Catholicism to this. He's a good man though.

I didn't agree with much of his views and comments about Christianity, but that's okay, he had many other qualities I admired and liked. Some things I learned in his class I still use to this day.

I wouldn't try to convert someone into Santeria or Voodoo or other variations found in the Americas and Caribbean.

One thing that really irks me about Catholicism today--and mind you I get that volunteering and looking outside yourself help to dilute your self-centeredness and inwardness--but you can't become a Green Bay Packer just by showing up at the stadium for a prep rally. It takes conditioning.

What I'm saying is I have too many problems and faults to be a part of some Christian or Catholic prep rally trying to act like a guru of spiritual fitness. The spiritual athlete it's either St. Paul or John speaks about in the New Testament.

I don't fast, I don't go to Mass, I have vices, and I depend on Christ. The last part is the only for sure good thing. The only "conversion" thing I have to tell anyone be they in Voodoo or some Hindu sect, is to be careful in what you do because you can end up being damned to hell.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,045,300 times
If a person decides to convert to ANY religion, that is their choice and NOT ours.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:

I have no idea what Yoruba is. But without Christ, no one can get to heaven. If a person dies without trusting Christ, they will go to hell. That's reason enough. It's not about having your best life now, or a fulfilled life....it's about where a person will spend eternity.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have no idea what Yoruba is. But without Christ, no one can get to heaven. If a person dies without trusting Christ, they will go to hell. That's reason enough. It's not about having your best life now, or a fulfilled life....it's about where a person will spend eternity.
See http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_religion

I suspect most would not worry about salvation, as it is not the central part of their belief system as it is in Christianity. As such I would suspect most would not be listening to the New Testament story. Certainly they would have a repulsion as most people do to the Old Testament stories. There's just too much killing raping and pillaging in there for anybody's morals.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
See Yoruba religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suspect most would not worry about salvation, as it is not the central part of their belief system as it is in Christianity. As such I would suspect most would not be listening to the New Testament story. Certainly they would have a repulsion as most people do to the Old Testament stories. There's just too much killing raping and pillaging in there for anybody's morals.
As I've repeatedly mentioned, if you don't understand the context, it would look that way, wouldn't it?

Old 09-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As I've repeatedly mentioned, if you don't understand the context, it would look that way, wouldn't it?
That word context is something use regularly. Interesting enough nobody ever says what the context should be.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
That word context is something use regularly. Interesting enough nobody ever says what the context should be.
You seem to suggest that the violence in the OT was wrong. Why? If you understand the context you'd realize it was justified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity