Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:24 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Statement of belief from the Joel Osteen website.

the entire Bible is inspired by God, without error and the authority on which we base our faith, conduct and doctrine.

… in one God who exists in three distinct persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God who came to this earth as Savior of the world.

… Jesus died on the cross and shed His blood for our sins. We believe that salvation is found by placing our faith in what Jesus did for us on the cross. We believe Jesus rose from the dead and is coming again.

… water baptism is a symbol of the cleansing power of the blood of Christ and a testimony to our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

… in the regular taking of Communion as an act of remembering what the Lord Jesus did for us on the cross.

… every believer should be in a growing relationship with Jesus by obeying God’s Word, yielding to the Holy Spirit and by being conformed to the image of Christ.

… as children of God, we are overcomers and more than conquerors and God intends for each of us to experience the abundant life He has in store for us.

Seems like he believes like most Christians do. Not sure how many Christians believe his last statement though.
Osteen obviously prints the good print, but doesn't talk the good talk. It's safer for him to say everything he should be saying in the pulpit on a placard instead. Safer, that is, from Victoria, who would crown him with her rolling pin, putting him in intensive care with a cerebral hemorrhage if she ever heard him mouth such anti-prosperity-gospel piddle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 03:32 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Osteen obviously prints the good print, but doesn't talk the good talk. It's safer for him to say everything he should be saying in the pulpit on a placard instead. Safer, that is, from Victoria, who would crown him with her rolling pin, putting him in intensive care with a cerebral hemorrhage if she ever heard him mouth such anti-prosperity-gospel piddle.
Not that I listen to Joel, I only listen to heretics, but when I did listen to him I can honestly say I never did find fault with what he had to say. Do you believe in a god that wants you poor, miserable and so weak in faith that you cannot be a blessing to yourself and to all those in your own world ?.

I actually believe in being prosperous( not the prosperity gospel)it beats being poor and being miserable

Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Goodness, you certainly seem to have an ax to grind. Do you know this woman personally? Has she injured you in some way?

Old 09-27-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You heard how she beat down a flight attendant, right?

I'd never heard it, and if I hadn't taken the time to look up and find the truth of the matter, I may have believed you weren't just repeating idle gossip. A jury, after hearing the evidence, found that there was no assault. And this apparently wasn't the first time that that flight attendant had falsely accused someone of doing the same thing of which she accused Victoria Olsteen.

Jury says no assault in Osteen case - US news - Crime & courts | NBC News

Old 09-27-2013, 05:18 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,327 times
HEB 6:1-2 "Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment."

It seems that far too many only want to talk about these foundational truths because they have nothing else to talk about [they are poor mentally and spiritually] and if a man like Joel doesn't repeat them over and over as they do, then they say, he has nothing of value to say. One should tend to there own field and as Jesus said. LK 9:50 "And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us." So why speak evil of him. Most people who attend his services already know the foundational truths and want to hear uplifting, positive preaching that accompany salvation, not to go back to kindergarten.

Moreover, some men's work is hay, wood, or stubble and some silver and gold but all believers preach Christ and only God can judge the overall value of a mans work. Not everyone's ministry is for everyone.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
In practice, he tends to ignore the first 5 points and concentrates on point #6 only. And then, he really doesn't teach what the Bible ACTUALLY says...but only what makes people feel good.

Have you been to his church to know this ?.

Do you really understand what you are saying with what I have bolded in your post?. What is it you want folk to feel bad about and more to the point, can you give an example of the kind of things you feel bad about. Let me guess, the sin YOU struggle with, so you assume everyone else does ?.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Why would anyone who had an ounce of common sense waste any significant time listening to J. Osteen, let alone give him any money?? He strikes me as the kind of guy who could change a $9 bill into $3's.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Why would anyone who had an ounce of common sense waste any significant time listening to J. Osteen, let alone give him any money?? He strikes me as the kind of guy who could change a $9 bill into $3's.
Yea, there are plenty who have done that with the scriptures too, and yet many still give them the time of day. MacArthur and Washer to name for a starters. Both ask for donations.

Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition?

Last edited by pcamps; 09-27-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 08:30 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Goodness, you certainly seem to have an ax to grind. Do you know this woman personally? Has she injured you in some way?
Well, you know you don't have to be injured personally by a person to know they're capable of injuring you. You haven't heard about the incident between her and the airline stewardess, I'm sure.

Quote:
The wife of renowned evangelical pastor Joel Osteen acted like a combative diva when a small spill on her airline seat was not immediately cleaned up, a flight attendant who was also on the plane testified Thursday.

The testimony came during the civil trial of a lawsuit that accuses Victoria Osteen, the co-pastor a Houston megachurch, of assaulting a flight attendant before the start of a 2005 flight to Vail, Colo.
I believe it. Having something of a legal background, the lawsuit couldn't have proceeded if there weren't enough witnesses to corroborate the stewardess's claim.

Quote:
Brown's co-worker, Maria Johnson, confirmed that in her testimony Thursday.

"She [Victoria] took Sharon by the shoulders and pushed her out of the way. Sharon stumbled," Johnson said. Brown's suit claims the flight attendants asked to have Victoria Osteen removed from the plane. Hardin told jurors Victoria Osteen and her family left voluntarily. The incident delayed the flight about 2 1/2 hours.

Hardin [Osteen's attorney] admitted that Victoria Osteen can be a "very excitable and expressive person," but that she was never out of control.
So, in response to your question, I have a problem with these prosperity preachers and their trophy wives who act like they are elite, privileged and entitled to special treatment than the lesser folks never see or get. And when they don't get it, in a very un-Godly manner they let the peons around them know in no uncertain language that they expect that special treatment because of their rank and celebrity.

Victoria quietly paid the FAA fine for disturbance not because she was guilty but as a way to conclude the matter and avoid any embarrassment for her church (or it's cash flow, you can bet).

Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Well, you know you don't have to be injured personally by a person to know they're capable of injuring you. You haven't heard about the incident between her and the airline stewardess, I'm sure.

I believe it. Having something of a legal background, the lawsuit couldn't have proceeded if there weren't enough witnesses to corroborate the stewardess's claim.

So, in response to your question, I have a problem with these prosperity preachers and their trophy wives who act like they are elite, privileged and entitled to special treatment than the lesser folks never see or get. And when they don't get it, in a very un-Godly manner they let the peons around them know in no uncertain language that they expect that special treatment because of their rank and celebrity.

Victoria quietly paid the FAA fine for disturbance not because she was guilty but as a way to conclude the matter and avoid any embarrassment for her church (or it's cash flow, you can bet).

I hadn't heard about it until you guys brought it up in this thread, actually. So I looked it up; see the link to the news story I posted in post #45. After hearing all the evidence, the jury found in Victoria's favor and were convinced that she had not done what she was accused of. As far as there being enough witnesses, there was only one witness (a fellow flight attendant) who claims that the story was true, while the pilot and other passengers on the flight say they saw nothing of the sort. Also, the Olsteens addressed the fine that they paid.

After reading the article and knowing the outcome of the trial, do you still want to assume the worst of Victoria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity