Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:20 AM

670 posts, read 815,365 times

Advertisements

"I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women." - 2 Samuel 1:26

Where David and Jonathan gay?

Please be respectful to each other.

May love and peace be with every one always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
No, That chapter is something the gay community has taken out of context to suit their argument. They were still under the mosaic law back then which prohibited homosexuality anyways.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:42 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
No.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:48 AM

But he loved him greater than women?
How do you interprete that if they wherent in love?

Old 09-27-2013, 11:55 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
No, That chapter is something the gay community has taken out of context to suit their argument. They were still under the mosaic law back then which prohibited homosexuality anyways.
Coveting another man's wife and murder were also prohibited. Didn't stop David from coveting Bathsheba enough to have her husband killed.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
But he loved him greater than women?
How do you interprete that if they wherent in love?
You've never had a best friend that provided you friendship that was better than a night of sex? Not to be crass, but you've never heard the phrase "Bros before ----"?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 4,456 times
How does that verse construe they were gay?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You've never had a best friend that provided you friendship that was better than a night of sex? Not to be crass, but you've never heard the phrase "Bros before ----"?
Well if a person views Women as sex objects instead of people, that might be possible.
But I don't women are people too.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:18 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
Understanding the context of history, this wouldn't be a gay story. David was clearly a very sensitive individual, who was very passionate in all he did. Looking more closely at his character, he had many highs and lows and was clearly descriptive in living all he thought, felt, and otherwise experienced. We have all the Psalms to describe the same. By today's standards, he was a rock-star: a singer, a song-writer, a choreographer, but also a warrior, brilliant, a leader - and all starting out as a shepherd. And, as was mentioned, he sinned woefully, as with Bathsheba. It is not that it would be inconsistent for him to be gay, or even bisexual, although to describe the relationship like that could not be validated.

At the time, David's trust in Jonathon was absolute. Here was the king's son who should have gotten the king's share of inheritance, and it was going to David. Not a struggle, not a word against David (G-d's anointed), but full support. Here's a man (Jonathon) who should have been rabidly angry and ready to put David out to death, just so he could garner his inheritance rightly as it was due him. Jonathon never went there. David's first wives, Jonathon's sisters, were not all they were cracked up to be - Michal and Merab. It was at this time David was up and coming. And all the while, Jonathon remained steadfast, for G-d's anointed. He was fully selfless.

I think there were many times when David didn't know if he was coming or going. He worked with a bunch of ruthless warriors, and he may have thought his neck in the sling on at least a few occasions. Having said that, Jonathon was always there, consistently faithful. He was truly the best friend anyone could have. In light of the same and all he went through, David could honestly say that Jonathon's love was better than women. For what he knew of women, they were fickle - I would go so far to say what he knew of anyone's devotion - was duplicitous at best. This comment is clearly in line with the passion from which he wrote and sang, and it fit the profile of individual's he was surrounded by.

But being gay? As much of a proponent as I am for equality, I have to vote no on this one. Few persons in our era know devotion like that for anyone, whether they are gay or straight, married or single. We can barely conceptualize it. I cannot think of any current day relationship at any level that can be described as the same - not straight, not gay, not bisexual, not single or married. Given the same, this relationship stands out for what it is, relative to devotion and support for a man who's G-d's anointed. And throughout the scriptures, there's no other relationship that can be compared in the same light - not even of the disciples for Jesus.

Kind of amazing, when you really get down to thinking about it. And given the context, there are so many ways this doesn't make sense. But there it is. Forget about the chalice as the holy grail - I'd love someone to find a replication of this - wouldn't that truly usher in world peace?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
Well if a person views Women as sex objects instead of people, that might be possible.
But I don't women are people too.
We're talking ancient Israel and the surrounding countries. Hate to say it, but that was largely a woman's role. Marriage was not necessarily about love. That was the culture they lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity