Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
This sounds true but thankfully it is not. What's always been the same is our misconception about the heart of God and His attitude towards us. How do we know this?.by the life of Jesus Christ who was and is the exact representation of who God really is ( Heb 1:3). For this same Jesus Christ displayed 100% God's heart towards those who had lost their way and desired to be back in the way, yet those who thought they were not lost and had the way all worked out through their beliefs, doctrines and traditions,he 100% of the time shunned.
Fancy that !!! .
I will second pcamps astute observation. Before Daniel it's mostly all folklore--stories handed down from generation to generation, getting changed, tweaked, slightly twisted here and there until finally writers in Babylonian captivity decide to write down what they had been hearing (which, in reality, was NOTHING like what had actually happened some 3,500 years earlier). So we see a gradual transformation of this warrior God ("Go into the land and slaughter every last soul including women and children") of early Judaism transformed into a kinder, gentler, more politically correct God who can say, "My anger last but a moment, but my mercy lasts a lifetime". Two totally different Gods, but only in the minds of the people who were reading and writing all this stuff in the Old Testament.

But then Jesus comes on the scene and we get to see who and what God is and what He's really like--Love personified. And all those Matthew scriptures about casting people into furnaces of fire and bundled up like weeds and burned have nothing to do with hell and eternal torment, but the coming of the end of the Age of Mosaic Law and what would happen to the wicked Jews who ignored Jesus' warnings to flee Jerusalem when they see armies encompassing it. But few heed His warning by fleeing Jerusalem before its destruction in 70 AD:

Quote:
"But small is the gate [out of Jerusalem] and narrow the road [past the gate out of the city] that leads to [saving your] life [from Roman invaders bent on your destruction], and only a few find it" [those few who heeded Jesus'warnings to flee Jerusalem.
Thus, Jesus' prophecy comes true, just as He predicted. Few found the narrow path out of Jerusalem to save their lives and the rest 95% of the Jews who stayed [on the broad path to destruction] did indeed get destroyed by the invaders. It all makes sense when you take it in context...there's that word the Traditionalists love so much, and for once it works against their beliefs in eternal torment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
God is unchanging. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. Bless his Holy name!!!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
God is unchanging. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. Bless his Holy name!!!
True about His nature . . . but God is a living God. Life IS change. What needed to change is what our ignorant ancient ancestors BELIEVED about God. Jesus revealed the TRUE NATURE of God in stark contrast to the jealous, vengeful, Jewish War God who required blood sacrifices to appease His anger. Jesus revealed a God of pure Love and He demonstrated the purity of that love by allowing our brutal, savage and barbaric ancestors to scourge and crucify Him to death in their ignorance (because they knew not what they did). "No greater love hath any man . . . "

Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
Its the same God in Old and New Testament.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Its the same God in Old and New Testament.
I said as much. But what our ignorant ancestors believed and wrote in the OT about the nature of God was wrong. That is why Jesus needed to teach and demonstrate the true nature of God to us.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I said as much. But what our ignorant ancestors believed and wrote in the OT about the nature of God was wrong. That is why Jesus needed to teach and demonstrate the true nature of God to us.
Is that why Jesus used the OT hundreds of times in his teachings about God and his kingdom?

How did our Lord respond to the deceiver during his trials in the wilderness. Three times he was tempted and THREE times he used the word of God to defeat Satan.

Jesus surely did not think the OT was written by his ignorant ancestors. He knew it was the perfect word of God, Spirit inspired and Spirit breathed.

Those ignorant ancestors that you are always referring to were much less corrupted than we are. As time goes by our human race becomes more and more corrupt. Weaker and weaker in both body and spirit.

Do you honestly think you are a superior being to Abraham, Joseph, David, Daniel and an entire host of the people of God under the old covenant? What unbelievable conceit and pride. I've rarely encountered it to this degree.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
"You have heard it said, but I say..."

Old 09-30-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Is that why Jesus used the OT hundreds of times in his teachings about God and his kingdom?
He used the OT because it taught of Him. How to identify Him. How to know what His status was. How to validate Him through prophesy even after His death, etc. It is also USEFUL (profitable) for instruction. It has many of the lessons we needed to learn before we were ready for Christ's Gospel. It IS USEFUL and it contains inspirations from God . . . but it is NOT God's word . . . Jesus IS. It is definitely NOT the perfect, infallible and inerrant written word of God which does not and cannot exist in anything handled by human beings. period. We are told not to trust the words "Written in ink" under the New Covenant. They failed and have been replaced because Christ fulfilled their purpose. We now have Christ who abides with us and His Holy Spirit (Comforter) within our consciousness to guide us to what God has "written in our hearts" under the New Covenant . . . so that no man need teach another. We all can know the Father through the "mind of Christ" (WWJT).

That we are superior in knowledge to our ignorant ancestors is not debatable. They were savage barbarians compared to modern civilized and educated human beings. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge that has nothing to do with being stupid or unintelligent. They simply lacked knowledge that we have. It has nothing to do with arrogance, conceit or pride . . . it is simply fact.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 PM

For myself. I'll trust in God's word not in yours or any latter day prophet. I don't create my own ideas of who God is or what his plans are. I can only go by his revealed word. Jesus validates it constantly and stated that every word of it was, "Spirit breathed".

AS for the savage barbarians you are always talking about, they couldn't hold as candle to the hundreds of millions slaughtered in innumerable wars in the last 100 years. As far as I know they never slaughtered hundreds of millions of their unborn children. This fact is the height of barbarism!!!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"You have heard it said, but I say..."
He did not say, you have seen it written, but rather it was what they said/interpretation of what was written that Jesus corrected.
MT 5:18 "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." The only things passed are the temporary ordinances that were revealed to be such by the New Testament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity